YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I will do that Peter! Btw, I was curious how long it has taken you to arrive at this grand spectacle?
Thanks for the interest, Joe. It depends a bit on how you look at "how long". My 1st build was around 1978 with the sea tug 'Zwarte Zee'. This was partly built by someone else. Everything above the main deck looked bad and I rebuilt it from scratch. Even then inspired by old photos of that ship, like now with the BN.
My 2nd was 'Le Mirage' with the Corel-kit, between 1980-1984. There I returned the rigging plan to, in my opinion, the correct French century style and made all the sails myself. So a lot of scratch. During that 2nd build, I restored a 'Hollands Statenjacht' for an acquaintance. I was able to do that 'under the supervision' of an 'old master' who made many models and was an old seaman/sailor. 'Ome Jan' had sailed on windjammers and could tell wonderful stories about it. He taught me a lot of scratch skills. I have been able to apply all that experience to my Lee and now to the BN. So, it took 'a while'.
Regards, Peter

Thanks for the interest, Joe. It depends a bit on how you look at "how long". My 1st build was around 1978 with the sea tug 'Zwarte Zee'. This was partly built by someone else. Everything above the main deck looked bad and I rebuilt it from scratch. Even then inspired by old photos of that ship, like now with the BN.
My 2nd was 'Le Mirage' with the Corel-kit, between 1980-1984. There I returned the rigging plan to, in my opinion, the correct French century style and made all the sails myself. So a lot of scratch. During that 2nd build, I restored a 'Hollands Statenjacht' for an acquaintance. I was able to do that 'under the supervision' of an 'old master' who made many models and was an old seaman/sailor. 'Ome Jan' had sailed on windjammers and could tell wonderful stories about it. He taught me a lot of scratch skills. I have been able to apply all that experience to my Lee and now to the BN. So, it took 'a while'.
Regards, Peter
45 years and counting...
At minimum one could say on your BN-build is that experience shows. :cool:

Wow, very interesting timeline. A great explanation.
45 years and counting...
At minimum one could say on your BN-build is that experience shows. :cool:
Thanks guys! Obviously ‘scratch’ is in one of my chromosomes ……. ROTF
But I have to watch out with such a quote …….. ;)

Been a bit busy with other things in the past week, but in between many rope hanks made in the mold.
Then placed between all the other rigging around the belaying pins.
Shot a few photos to give an impression:
The front:
1167 Rope.jpg

The back:
1168 Rope.jpg

In the middle from both sides:
1169 Rope.jpg
1171 Rope.jpg

And a view through a lot of rigging:
1170 Rope.jpg

To do some small things, then a major cleaning and eliminate minor damage.
There are some spare belaying pins. I gonna make some spare ropes to fill them.
Then on to the studio.
So no, she's not ready yet........
Meanwhile also collecting stuff to make a showcase.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Been a bit busy with other things in the past week, but in between many rope hanks made in the mold.
Then placed between all the other rigging around the belaying pins.
Shot a few photos to give an impression:
The front:
View attachment 367678

The back:
View attachment 367679

In the middle from both sides:
View attachment 367680
View attachment 367682

And a view through a lot of rigging:
View attachment 367681

To do some small things, then a major cleaning and eliminate minor damage.
There are some spare belaying pins. I gonna make some spare ropes to fill them.
Then on to the studio.
So no, she's not ready yet........
Meanwhile also collecting stuff to make a showcase.
Regards, Peter
Good evening Peter. No freaking way! Too good. Beautiful photos of your BN. Cheers Grant

It had been noted a long time ago that the crew in the forecastle apparently had nothing to eat.
Supplying the kitchen with tin cans of food:
1172 Tincans.jpg

And placed in the fish hold the spare crate I made first:
1173 Krat.jpg
Clearly, the dust brush still has to go through here.
Try something else te make .......
Regards, Peter

I guess all superlatives have been used already, so no use trying to find one to do your BN model justice.
So I'll just revert back a little bit and keep it to: "She sure does look pretty." :cool:

Back