YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just beautiful Peter! The sails look so realistic - how can you go and furl them? ROTF

Just beautiful Peter! The sails look so realistic - how can you go and furl them? ROTF
Thanks, Heinrich. I can agree with your statement to leave the sail 'standing'.
After a post on the Dutch forum about 'the belly' in the sail, I paid some attention to that. The gaff is raised a little more. Now she can sail sharp on the wind :):
962 Main.jpg
PS-1: The gaff should be set via the 4 blocks on the mast and 3 on the gaff. But soon the sail will be reefed and stowed on the boom.
Building a 2nd BN under full sail? ;)
All in all, I don't think the material is wrong. The glue jobs are not too distracting. And ......only 1 little hole. You quickly learn to deal with the veeeeeeery thin layer.
PS-2: This photo again made with the Canon on my new 'studio' back wall. More fun experimenting with the lighting! :)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Anybody with a touch of common sense will take a wide berth around your model once all the sails are on ánd once they've been informed about the material of the sails.
Regardless the material, it's a rather impressive piece of modeling. Thumbsup

Anybody with a touch of common sense will take a wide berth around your model once all the sails are on ánd once they've been informed about the material of the sails.
Regardless the material, it's a rather impressive piece of modeling. Thumbsup
If that's a commitment, I'm okay with this model having furled sails. :cool:
Thanks, Johan. Maybe I'll make an extra sail to put next to the BN when I take her to a next meeting. Always nice for the discussion.
I can put the presumably next ship, a 'Vlaardingse Haring Logger', under full sail.
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Johan. Maybe I'll make an extra sail to put next to the BN when I take her to a next meeting. Always nice for the discussion.
I can put the presumably next ship, a 'Vlaardingse Haring Logger', under full sail.
Regards, Peter
Okay, if that's the case; I'm not fully committed yet, but the more BN's are build with no- or furled sails, the more I'm inclined to have my BN under full sail. ;)

Peter that last picture is MAGNIFICENT! I think the material looks the best that I have certainly seen. And that is why I am so serious about NOT furling the sails! It seems that @RDN1954 Johan is sharing my sentiments! ROTF

Hi Peter,
Just catching up on your build…what a beautiful BN! I used to think I did a great job on mine, and although that is still mostly true, what you have accomplished goes beyond great, it’s Excellent! Awesome work my friend! ;)

Hi Peter,
Just catching up on your build…what a beautiful BN! I used to think I did a great job on mine, and although that is still mostly true, what you have accomplished goes beyond great, it’s Excellent! Awesome work my friend! ;)
Hi Dean. Nice to read from you again on the forum and in my build-log. Thank you for the compliments.
You really did a great job with your BN. You have thus set 'the pace' :) and I consult your log from time to time.
Sometimes things just don't go over my limit. ;) Some things I've had in my head for a long time and I can now (finally) try them out. And when it succeeds, it is very satisfying.
I hope you are fine and we can see some post in your own build-log.
Regards, Peter

Hi Dean. Nice to read from you again on the forum and in my build-log. Thank you for the compliments.
You really did a great job with your BN. You have thus set 'the pace' :) and I consult your log from time to time.
Sometimes things just don't go over my limit. ;) Some things I've had in my head for a long time and I can now (finally) try them out. And when it succeeds, it is very satisfying.
I hope you are fine and we can see some post in your own build-log.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter. I am so busy lately, but have vacation and holidays coming up, so I hope to get back to model building soon! ;)

The main sail stowed on the boom with the gaff on top.
First I made a mold with a few clothespins in which the boom could lie. Fold it hoop by hoop and stored the sail between the arms:
963 Main.jpg
And enclosed with a few temporary slings.

When finalizing I had to feed the slings both at the top and the bottom between the wood and the sail:
964 Main.jpg
Cleared some space with a toothpick. I also had to keep in mind: the boom tackle under the boom and de bridles on top.

Then this is the result:
965 Main.jpg
With sharp light from above.

With some details:
966 Main.jpg
The sail is quite cleverly secured with the slings:
-with the eye splice forward, the rope is first thrown back over the gaff;
-brought forward between the sail and the boom;
-along in front of the sail, pushed back between the sail and the gaff;
-behind the sail, brought forward under the boom;
-passed through the eye splice and tightened.
The sling then separately threads the sail together and also pulls everything tight around the gaff and the boom.

Oblique from above:
967 Main.jpg

From the port side with natural light:
968 Main.jpg
Anyway, I'm very pleased with this result. The folds fall naturally and the whole gives a nice view of a furled sail.
Regards, Peter

The main sail stowed on the boom with the gaff on top.
First I made a mold with a few clothespins in which the boom could lie. Fold it hoop by hoop and stored the sail between the arms:
View attachment 338837
And enclosed with a few temporary slings.

When finalizing I had to feed the slings both at the top and the bottom between the wood and the sail:
View attachment 338838
Cleared some space with a toothpick. I also had to keep in mind: the boom tackle under the boom and de bridles on top.

Then this is the result:
View attachment 338839
With sharp light from above.

With some details:
View attachment 338840
The sail is quite cleverly secured with the slings:
-with the eye splice forward, the rope is first thrown back over the gaff;
-brought forward between the sail and the boom;
-along in front of the sail, pushed back between the sail and the gaff;
-behind the sail, brought forward under the boom;
-passed through the eye splice and tightened.
The sling then separately threads the sail together and also pulls everything tight around the gaff and the boom.

Oblique from above:
View attachment 338841

From the port side with natural light:
View attachment 338842
Anyway, I'm very pleased with this result. The folds fall naturally and the whole gives a nice view of a furled sail.
Regards, Peter
Good afternoon Peter….wow you have outdone yourself and that is saying something!!! No words… just WOW. Cheers Grant

Back