ZHL Le Soleil Royal

It looks like a lot of decks. How many are there?
Hey Vic, there are 2 decks below the main deck that don’t get planked. The main deck is in 2 parts and then 4 other decks so 6 that get planking and 2 no planking.

After a few days away I am back to the build.
I painted the main deck black prior to applying the planking in case there was any gaps that would show the deck.
I took a pencil and applied graphite to the edges of the planking to see if it would make it look like caulking. The top five planks have the graphite and the bottom five don’t. The difference is just enough that I think I will do it for the rest of the planking. 6781521F-00A1-4362-BE9B-987EA35C5C3A.jpegE6A968D4-BD44-4E14-8B88-AA7E4DE2376C.jpeg

Hi Jay
THe idea of pre-painting the deck in black prior to planking is excellent.
I'll definitely reuse in future
All the best
Thanks Gilbert. It seems to be working out well. Now I don’t have to use graphite to go around the edges of the planking.

Partially planked the main deck. Sanded and used a damp cloth to clean up the wood dust. The reason I only did a partial planking is after the gun ports are installed I will be cutting the extra portion of the bulkheads that are sticking up, 97E93895-FD00-4B08-80F0-85C190FAE09D.jpeg4398C4F3-1078-431B-9830-1F5FF9E8E632.jpeg6C478460-4919-4CA2-9BA0-BADA6D53EBF3.jpeglevel with the main deck and will be able to continue with the pattern of the planking already installed. Although both the main decks fit fine, the middle portion of the main deck needed some weight to contact the bulkheads.

Just to clarify I only dry fit the rear main deck when I installed the main deck number 27. You need to install the rear bulkhead number 13 and 12 before you install rear main deck 27-1 or you won’t be able to get the rear bulkhead on. DFC7C9E2-33E0-45DB-BDF0-27426B86DC04.jpeg

Late to the party BUT.... better late then never. Will be watching your build with great interest. Your build takes me back a year ago when I started my Victory build. Ah the memories. So far, looking good!

Partially planked the main deck. Sanded and used a damp cloth to clean up the wood dust. The reason I only did a partial planking is after the gun ports are installed I will be cutting the extra portion of the bulkheads that are sticking up, View attachment 205628View attachment 205629View attachment 205630level with the main deck and will be able to continue with the pattern of the planking already installed. Although both the main decks fit fine, the middle portion of the main deck needed some weight to contact the bulkheads.

Am avidly following your build Jay. That looks like a big (and tall) ship. So many levels. Are all the lower decks sealed?

Late to the party BUT.... better late then never. Will be watching your build with great interest. Your build takes me back a year ago when I started my Victory build. Ah the memories. So far, looking good!

Thanks Daliab, there’s a few of us doing the Soleil Royal so there should be some good stuff to garner.

Am avidly following your build Jay. That looks like a big (and tall) ship. So many levels. Are all the lower decks sealed?

Reggie, to me this ship is way bigger than the Pearl so at this time it is easier for me to work on. Not sure about your question about the lower decks but I believe they are where the half cannons are installed.

I can’t wait to get my pearl done so i can start on my Soleil. I will take more time and care on the Soleil. It’s not supposed to look beat up.

I can’t wait to get my pearl done so i can start on my Soleil. I will take more time and care on the Soleil. It’s not supposed to look beat up.

That’s what worries me Vic. On the Pearl it was anything goes. It’s like eating with your fingers and now it’s like eating where you have to choose between two forks, three spoons and two knives.

Back