ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

1032.jpg
I then moved onto the rails on the roof of the cabin, just cheking to make sure all are the same length,

1033.jpg
last one still to be cut down to size,

1034.jpg
Then there were supposed to be some small beads in the kit, which I cannot find, luckily over the years I have
collected all sorts of bits and pieces and I had some beads of just the right size,

1035.jpg
I had to drill them all out to 2mm so they would slip onto the stanchions, I only needed twelve but I drilled
a few extra just in case of breakage,

1036.jpg
This is a pic from the video, once they are drilled to the right size, you have to sand one end a little bit flat, you
can see in the pic one at the top and one at the bottom,

1038.jpg
some of the beads after sanding,

1039.jpg
after sanding I only had sixteen, so i still had a few extra ones,

1040.jpg
To make it easy to blacken them I put them one at a time on the end of piece of brass,

1041.jpg
Then I used a black marker pen to colour them,

1042.jpg
the twelve beads in place, the ones at the base of the rails are already glued,

1043.jpg
front view, the holes for the base timber and the top rail timber were Pre drilled,

1044.jpg
I had to be careful and line up the stanchion on top of the companion way with the one on the roof,

1045.jpg
The top rail glued in place,

1046.jpg
trimming the stanchion and rails to accept the hand rail from the companion way to the roof, in the kit it just
shows a stub of rail approx 12mm long that gets glued to the main rail, i just thought it would be better to
have a full rail from the companion way to the roof deck,

1047.jpg
test fitting the rail, I was wondering why there weren't any rails on the outside, and then i realized that the
shrouds would go up along side of the cabin, so there wouldn't be a need for any, I suppose,

1048.jpg
and after it is glued in place, there is an etched brass cover plate to go along the main rail and i hope to have enough
left to cover the extra rail from the companion, that's for next time,

1049.jpg
These next pics are just various views of the rails,

1050.jpg

1051.jpg

1052.jpg

1053.jpg

1054.jpg
I'm just wondering if the companion rail needs to come down a bit more, I have doubled checked and all the
stanchions are the same height, I think that with the steps being curved and the rail straight it gives a false
impression, any questions or comments are welcome, thank you for looking,

Wishing you all the best of health, Stay safe and look after yourselves and your loved ones,
also look out and help anyone in need,

best regards John,

1055.jpg
This is one of the sheets of photo etch in the kit, the long wide piece and the short wide piece at the bottom along
with the seven little square pieces are the bits to go on the rails,

1056.jpg
after cutting the long piece from the sheet,

1057.jpg
This is the where it will be glued to the rail, not yet glued,

1058.jpg
and these are the little bits that glue on top of the brass rail over where the stanchions are,

1059.jpg
and after gluing in place,

1060.jpg
another view,

thank you for looking and the comments and likes,

best regards john,

1067.jpg
While I was up on the cabin roof I thought that i might as well finish the railings around the aft companion way
hatch, this is a pic from the manual on how it should look,

1068.jpg
They supply 2mm brass rod for this, but I thought it looked a bit on the thick side, you are supposed to use the
rod and form eyelets at the top of each stanchion you make for the 2mm rails to go through, I had some 1.5mm
single hole stanchions left over from a 1/32 scale tug I built, they were just right and I also used 1.5mm rod as
the rails,

1070.jpg
the first two stanchions lined up, you have to be careful drilling the holes as if you get them wrong there is no
way to hide the mistakes, measure twice and drill once,

1071.jpg
bending the rod to shape,

1072.jpg
nearly there, just a little bit of final adjusting,

1073.jpg
and the final result,

1074.jpg
another view,

1077.jpg
Next up is the pumps, you get two round pieces like on the right and then have to make them look like
they are made up from separate pieces, with saw cuts across the top and down the sides,

1078.jpg
They have got to be cleaned up a little bit,

1079.jpg
These are the other parts for the pumps,

1080.jpg
have had a bit of a clean up and the reinforcing bands have been added,

1081.jpg
This is the stuff i used for the bands only it was 1.5mm tape I used on the pump bodies,

1082.jpg
The two pump arm supports marked ready for shaping the sides,

1083.jpg
and after shaping, still need a bit of a sanding,

1084.jpg
The pump body has to sit 36mm in front of the cabin and 75mm from the bulwark, its going to tight as they are
right behind the Gallows, I may have to adjust them a little bit,

IMG20200321183837.jpg
And the yard Supervisor has his eye on me,

have to make them look like
they are made up from separate pieces
BTW were they made from separate pieces at all? I have heard in the Batavia audioguide (click here, story #12, "Pump or swim") that the pump tubes were drilled out of the trunk of a tree. The metal rings as well as ropes were used indeed to provide the tension. At least I made some use of my izi.TRAVEL project here, ahahaha.

BTW were they made from separate pieces at all? I have heard in the Batavia audioguide (click here, story #12, "Pump or swim") that the pump tubes were drilled out of the trunk of a tree. The metal rings as well as ropes were used indeed to provide the tension. At least I made some use of my izi.TRAVEL project here, ahahaha.
Alex, I think you are right and that they were drilled from a single piece of popular or elm wood.

After a lot of thought i have decided to use the pumps provided in the kit,

1086.jpg
This is the etched piece of brass supplied in the kit, you have to bend it to the shape on the right, on the piece on
the left you can see the lines where you have to bend it, it is a very delicate to bend, but once you have it pinned
and glued in place it is quite strong,

1087.jpg
both brackets attached,

1088.jpg
the pump plungers come turned to shape as on the left, the pump arms on the right are made out of 1.5mm tube
and they supply a piece of 4mm wood for the middle pieces, they say to cut the tube into two pieces and then
trim both ends of the wood down to a size that will fit in the ends of the tubes, I didn't like that idea so I cut some
6mm x 6mm wood and drilled a hole through and slipped it over the tube and CA glued them in place and then
filed the wood down to 4mm x 4mm, a lot stronger and easier way, the tube has been pinched in at the end and
will have a hole drilled through for a attaching to the pump plunger, I also have to drill another hole for attaching
it to the pump stand, see next pic,

1089.jpg
the main parts of the pump, still have to make the handles and attach them,

1090.jpg
and roughly what it will look like in place,

1091.jpg
for attaching the handles this is the way they show, file the end of the tube just over half way through,

1092.jpg
then roll it back on itself and glue in a piece of brass,

1093.jpg
I didn't like this idea also, and as i still had some of the brass stanchions I decided to cut off the ball piece and glue
them in the end of the tube,

1094.jpg
both handles fitted,

1095.jpg
and after a coat of varnish and some black paint,

1096.jpg
the pumps now in place,

1097.jpg
front view,

1098.jpg
and with the gallows just sitting in place, not yet glued,

1099.jpg
I have drilled the holes for the pins that will hold the blocks, they are not glued in place yet, I will attach what blocks
I can first, i will probably also leave the Gallows off till later,

1100.jpg
another view,

1101.jpg
The new sheaves that I had ordered from Cornwall Model Boats arrived and they fit the blocks just great, these
are the 7mm and 8mm blocks at where the Gallows will stand,

1102.jpg
and these are the ones up on the focs'le deck,

1103.jpg
and the last two of this set at the break of the Focs'le,

1104.jpg
and a close up,

1105.jpg
I had a go at making the window that gives light to the kings bed,

1106.jpg
and a close up,

1107.jpg
starting to attach the timber heads around the focsle deck, these all have to be painted black, and that is not
the proper mast, just a spare piece of dowel so I could line up across the deck,

1108.jpg
Just seventeen more to go,

1109.jpg

Last edited:
1110.jpg
A little while ago I mentioned about the starboard side rails at the break of the focsle being a bit lower than
the port side, so finally took the rails off, heck of a job but managed it without any damage, then I glued some
packing strips to the base of the starboard side, and reglued them in place,

1111.jpg
I cut a small triangular fillet of wood for both sides of the rails, this is just test fitting the fillet,

1112.jpg
and after varnishing and gluing in place,

1113.jpg
and the other side done as well,

1114.jpg
looks a lot better now,

Back