Anthony's 1/48th scale HMS Blandford [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Anthony,
You need to install the deck beams first then the hanging knees, leave the lodging knees a little long and fit them in the space between the hanging knee and the next beam. By using this sequence you will have a deck that fits with good joints.

sounds good to me , i have already started on the wider hanging knees and it looks like its working out as it should the only thing is i'm getting a little carried away with the lower deck , do i have to have the well and shot locker in place before the lower deck frame work goes in or can it go in after? which means i have to stop with the lower deck and carry on with the locker

Hi Anthony,
Yes, you should build and install the well and shot locker before going any further with the lower deck. In my build log I show how I built the well and locker with a lot of photos, you may find this helpful.

Last edited:
i have been using yours and docblake build logs as a reference , i have started it but got sidetracked with the lower floor , i will go back to the locker now , thank you for all your help ,

Once you’ve installed the lower deck clamps, fit the deck beams. Don’t glue them in place yet. Build the shot locker/well so it just barely fits under the beams. Then, once the well is glued in place you can put the deck in place with a very close relationship to the well.

i have another question , i'm building the shot locker according to the drawing but when i hold it up to the cross section view its about 2 planks too short, should i add them ? or make the legs longer ( don't like this option)?

Anthony,
I do not mind saying that your build is much better than mine. I made a lot of timber mistakes. You have all your flooring strakes done with the right size lumber, your shotlocker looks great as well.

don't be modest , mine has mistakes also and isn't as accurate as it appears , i think the photography is flattering on mine , needless to say i really like the way yours is turning out and hope mine comes out just like it

Mistakes will help you with your next model by avoiding them or remembering how to fix them when you make the same one again, all part of the learning process.

You are right but I'm sure I will make lots of different mistakes on the next one . The skill comes in hiding it so its not noticeable

Back