Belem from Artesania Latina - by Fish & Chip

Salut Michel felicitations pour ton travail sur le Belem, moi aussij'en fais des modèles réduits j'aimerais ça qu'on se parle je vis à Mirabel et si tu veux m'appeler je serais très content.

Last edited:
Bonjour Maurice, je vais vous appeler. J'ai pris en note vos coordonnées. Vous devriez les effacer rapidement pour ne pas vous faire hacker ou voler votre identité.

Thanks for the pictures and advice . I will be following and have picked up a couple of gems on how to from you thanks . I’m new to this and starting my second build now of The Essex

Thanks for the pictures and advice . I will be following and have picked up a couple of gems on how to from you thanks . I’m new to this and starting my second build now of the Essex
Thank you to follow my build. I am a beginner too (second build) and happy to help others when I can.

Since you have been kind enough to follow my progress on Salamandre, I thought I should drop by to see how Belem is going.

I think she is looking very nice and all your patience and hard work is really being rewarded.

Salty

Thank you Sally. Your Salamandre is great. I take so much time to decipher plan and to figure out translation from french, my native language, to english to be able to explain better my work.

Bashing idea is also to be consider, like for the masting and rigging. More I do and more I love this ship. Even, qui a bit masochist idea, to give me the feel to do Mantua 1/84 Amerigo Vespucci.

I was finally able to view your build from the box to this point I have learned some great techniques you used and really liked the kit.I may follow in your footsteps. Thank you. You have done an amazing job it is looking great

Sorry for my absence. I had a lot of work at home and the office.. and now a heart stroke.Had a dilatation and stent and ready for recuperation time.

Last edited:
Se rétblir! J'ai remarqué votre ville natale- après avoir recherché mon ascendance, j'ai de nombreux ancêstres de votre région. La plupart d'entre eux venaient d'Annapolis Royal et ont été forcés de quitter le Canada en 1755. La plupart se sont retrouvés ici, dans le sud de la Louisiane.

I am sorry that you have had some problems with your health and I hope you are feeling better soon. I think a few enjoyable hours working on Belem is just what the doctor ordered.

I am sorry that you have had some problems with your health and I hope you are feeling better soon. I think a few enjoyable hours working on Belem is just what the doctor ordered.
I agree, my friends told me the same. I was very lucky to be prompt to went to hospital and the doctor reacted fast too. I am supposed to return home today.

After taking some holiday and take care of my health, I start to work on my Belem. By this time, I received my Ragusian Carrack and read the blogs of SoS members to help boost my self.

Here is two pics with the ship and the stand that I made this week. Based was made with Oak and Maple.

20230722_161042.jpg20230722_161018.jpg

EDIT : Bad transcription from phone (ex.: during vs d'urine !!!)

Thank you. I am in the turning of the yards. I had to repair a mast that broked during the drilling of space for a pulley to be installed inside the mast. Soon I will post pics.

Last edited:
Hi. I will try to explain a couple of things without translation aids.

Here is how I do ma yards. : Proxon lathe, 120 grit and 220 grit sand paper and a stick sander.

20230727_112519.jpg

For parts of yards over 3 mm, chisel is used followed by sand paper. I found that the 120 grits makes a great job when a lot of wood have to be removed, but chisel do a relatively good job too. However my chisel is basic in quality : 100 CAN $ on amazon.

20230727_112709.jpg

I found difficult to do a good job without a digital caliper on line. Dowels tend to move in radial axis from about 2-3 cm of the 4 jaw chuck. I think this is caused by the dowel flexibility, the creation of a kind of axial momentum is rising with speed at the lenght of the dowel outside the jaw. Like an electron spin in an orbital (sorry for my chemist backgroud, I am not a physicist). When this happen, the used of chisel is a precarious experience, I preferre to use sand paper plied in two and I used my finger to guide the sanding process along the dowel.

Another great difficulty is when you turn over the side of the dowel. You don't retrieve a flat surface to be sqweezed by the jaw. This create instability and wobbling plus unsymetrical yard in left to right side.
Finally, an other difficult reside in the obtention of a straight line from the middle to the end of dowel. lik showed by these two pictures. I am afraid to srap my dowel by trying to refine the job more. OH, 1 mm in diameter is a great challenge to obtained !

Finally, I am not sure if I work well or if my small Proxxon is only a toy ! Should have obtain better results with a real lathe with appropriate steady rest or tail stock like reverse live center?

20230727_111211.jpg20230727_111206.jpg

Back