Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you Rich, the above method requires no math, no miter saw and no angle finder.
It is merely an analytic approach to solving a difficulty with miter joints on veneer.:)
That analytical approach is how engineers are trained and you were not sleeping in class.;) The math was my generic and incorrect term for the arithmetic demonstrated in you posting. Yep, a carpenter with a variable angle tool could do the same thing. Another framers tool is the square with dimensions for various rise/run conditions. Takes me back to the fun days of analog slide rules where the first challenge was to learn "slide right" to keep track of the number and decimal point. Students now possibly don't know what a "safety factor" is that we always applied in our structural calcs. For trusses with compression and tension members where I occasionally got lost in the cacls I followed the professors advise, "If you get lost or stymied just ask your wife or girl friend to look at the truss and loading, she will tell you what the member is doing by inspection" :rolleyes: Good visual explanation on your corner. Thumbs-Up Rich

No getting around cutting miter joints on this part…
9392148B-88AC-459E-BBBA-E99EB2EB6CAB.jpeg

After putting the skirt or canopy around the base, I had to bevel the upper part of it, and add the trim piece I made with a scraper tool. I then painted and started to add texture with the paint brush, by dabbing the paint before it dries. This is a concrete structure, so it should have some texture.
87F87AB7-574C-4E1E-839F-240334B76BF6.jpegC7923AEF-E5D2-451C-90BF-04F480868EDF.jpeg

No getting around cutting miter joints on this part…
View attachment 257642

After putting the skirt or canopy around the base, I had to bevel the upper part of it, and add the trim piece I made with a scraper tool. I then painted and started to add texture with the paint brush, by dabbing the paint before it dries. This is a concrete structure, so it should have some texture.
View attachment 257643View attachment 257644

Has the building inspector come round to see your construction permit and OSHA provisions? :D Rich
P.S. Don't fall off of the top when working up there. Construction guard rails and safety harness with tie-offs may be required. o_O

That is hardly what I would call "taking shape" :) It's almost done and very well done!
Thank you! However the lower portion is not even finished. I have to finish the corbels. Then paint it white and add the front door. Then everything above the catwalk has to be built and painted. That includes the lantern room with windows, roof, vent, railing posts, railings, lightening rod, light, etc.
D32F6E0F-7A36-4B2C-A20A-5CB4714421AA.jpeg

Thank you! However the lower portion is not even finished. I have to finish the corbels. Then paint it white and add the front door. Then everything above the catwalk has to be built and painted. That includes the lantern room with windows, roof, vent, railing posts, railings, lightening rod, light, etc.
View attachment 257681
Please Dean, don't downplay your accomplishments... ;)

View attachment 257681
It is interesting in this photo with the sun and shadows the horizontal form boards are visible in the upper main tower section. Those form carpenters would have had to deal with the corners in the same manner that you did. Good photo. Remember your safety harness and anchored rope when you are up there. ;)
:rolleyes: Rich

Dean, your Bluenose II model is breathtaking! Thanks for all the advice you've sent me on my own Bluenose build, I know now that I'm in good hands. I am looking forward to your lighthouse too, what a novel idea Thumbsup

Dean, your Bluenose II model is breathtaking! Thanks for all the advice you've sent me on my own Bluenose build, I know now that I'm in good hands. I am looking forward to your lighthouse too, what a novel idea Thumbsup
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment! This is the original Bluenose, however they are very similar. ;) And you are doing a great job on your build!

Din62, an excellent lighthouse turns out. First I wanted to offer to paint the window frames brown, but then I looked at the original in post # 750 and changed my mind. Everything is as on the original. Thumbsup

Back