Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

I remember my late dad had a Marshall amp which still worked with valves - that would have been the perfect thing to use.

I remember my late dad had a Marshall amp which still worked with valves - that would have been the perfect thing to use.
A Marshall has large tubes in it, except for the pre amp tubes, and even those would be too big. A small size appliance bulb would be closer to the correct size. But I think a glass fuse would be perfect at 1/72 scale. It just needs to be a short fuse. ;)

You should stop watching Peter's build log; he's setting a bad example! ;)
(@Peter Voogt, absolutely nothing derogatory on your build, quite the contrary...)
I always add extra detail to my models, and I did on this one, especially the windlass. I added gears, brackets, levers, chain, etc. to make a complete windlass assembly.
However I would have liked to have the time to add detail below deck, like Peter. And I modeled a motor for the windlass that I would have liked to use. But overall I am very happy with this build, and ready to move on to the Norske Love build soon, which I am very excited about. Many embellishments are forthcoming on that ship! ;)

But overall I am very happy with this build, and ready to move on to the Norske Love build soon, which I am very excited about. Many embellishments are forthcoming on that ship!
You bet I'm going to follow this build!

Ok, next was the vent ball at the top of the lantern room. In this case, it’s an octagon, which is tiny at 1/72 scale!
I started with a round dowel that I carved and filed to shape. Then I added a toothpick for the finial and shaped it…
C5B7F14C-B2A1-4126-B7FF-4358FC80100B.jpeg

Then I glued it to the roof of the lantern room…
27C7A3B4-11D4-41FD-8E1E-C2DA227C39DE.jpeg

Then I painted it. Is it perfect…no, but it will pass inspection…lol.
08C20D62-6361-4684-8621-32ADAADB7D0B.jpegDF0F7B8D-EBD4-4914-9266-E0E7CBECD305.jpeg

Next will be the railing post for the catwalk around the lantern room. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, next was the vent ball at the top of the lantern room. In this case, it’s an octagon, which is tiny at 1/72 scale!
I started with a round dowel that I carved and filed to shape. Then I added a toothpick for the finial and shaped it…
View attachment 258228View attachment 258229

Then I glued it to the roof of the lantern room…
View attachment 258230

Then I painted it. Is it perfect…no, but it will pass inspection…lol.
View attachment 258231View attachment 258232

Next will be the railing post for the catwalk around the lantern room. ;)
It looks very nice, with more and more details, Dean.

A little P1: (A little related news, from last week!)
Lighthouse Kijkduin, with more than 63 meters the highest working lighthouse in the Netherlands, is in danger of collapsing due to rusting. The lighthouse just north of Fort Kijkduin near Den Helder is better known as 'Lange Jaap'. The meadows and roads around the unmanned lighthouse are closed to prevent accidents.
9B95F47F-75F3-4584-A3F9-92A69C3AF121.jpeg
Built in 1877, the tower is made entirely of cast iron plates. Due to the use of cast iron, the tower weighs no less than 500 tons. Lange Jaap is the tallest closed cast iron lighthouse in the world.
PS-2:
I won’t make a model of this lighthouse beside my BN. The vitrine would be to high. ;)
Regards, Peter

ready to move on to the Norske Love build soon, which I am very excited about
Do I understand correctly you already build a Norske Love, which was destroyed during a move? :(
And after completing this Bluenose build, you're going to build a second Norske Love, also from Billing Boats, but then customized?
I admire your guts. I'm already freaking out over the POF Bluenose build, which has yet to begin and you're jumping into the Norske Love adventure... ;)
Beautiful example of shipbuilding in Europe in the 18th century.

Attachments

• E192E673-62CF-43A9-8BD2-07800ED2A1B2.jpeg
    E192E673-62CF-43A9-8BD2-07800ED2A1B2.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Do I understand correctly you already build a Norske Love, which was destroyed during a move? :(
And after completing this Bluenose build, you're going to build a second Norske Love, also from Billing Boats, but then customized?
I admire your guts. I'm already freaking out over the POF Bluenose build, which has yet to begin and you're jumping into the Norske Love adventure... ;)
Beautiful example of shipbuilding in Europe in the 18th century.
Hi Johan. Yes... you understand correctly, this will be the second time I build it.
I am very excited because I am going to do a much better job than the first time, and that will be partly due to the many improvements I intend to make!
I will be planking the deck with individual boards, and adding nails...I will change the Lion figurehead to use a carving... I will improve the galleys in the stern... I will improve the lanterns... i will use wooden pulleys and deadeyes... I will upgrade the rope, I will add treenails to the hull and metal nails to the wales, etc., etc. I have many plans for this build! ;)
I was going to build the San Felipe next, but many people are currently building one... so I decided on the Norske Love because no one is building it and I think it deserves to be recognized. It was actually the third and last ship named the Norske Love, and I will give some history in my build log. There is not a lot of reference material on it.

Last edited:
Another pic…
Obviously the lighthouse would be much higher than shown, and once it is on a stand with landscaping, it will be taller. However it will never be the appropriate height in relation to the ship, because it would be on land. But it still looks nice together.
64367E1C-36CE-4745-BF7B-8B571E9390BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Another pic…
Obviously the lighthouse would be much higher than shown, and once it is on a stand with landscaping, it will be taller. However it will never be the appropriate height in relation to the ship. But it still looks nice together.
View attachment 258523
Great finish to the lighthouse. I like the optional settings for it but best of all is with it behind the bowsprit of BN which could be returning or departing but I think departing in the starboard track of channels as incoming would be on the port of left side as I recall the convention. Excellent work! First Place Metal
First Place MetalFirst Place MetalGold StarGold StarGold Star Rich (PT-2)

Great finish to the lighthouse. I like the optional settings for it but best of all is with it behind the bowsprit of BN which could be returning or departing but I think departing in the starboard track of channels as incoming would be on the port of left side as I recall the convention. Excellent work! First Place Metal
First Place MetalFirst Place MetalGold StarGold StarGold Star Rich (PT-2)
Thank you Rich!

You created a beautiful effect Dean! Even though Bluenose and the lighthouse are completely independent subjects, separate from each other, there is a remarkable connection between the two. And ... with regards to position ... ;) ROTF ... I concur 100% with Rich. Of the pictures that you posted. the one behind the bowsprit is also my choice. Moved slightly further back in the actual display, will create the necessary perception of depth. A job done bloody well! Okay

Back