Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

You created a beautiful effect Dean! Even though Bluenose and the lighthouse are completely independent subjects, separate from each other, there is a remarkable connection between the two. And ... with regards to position ... ;) ROTF ... I concur 100% with Rich. Of the pictures that you posted. the one behind the bowsprit is also my choice. Moved slightly further back in the actual display, will create the necessary perception of depth. A job done bloody well! Okay
Thank you Heinrich! Actually I was just taking pictures of both with the lighthouse in front because I just finished it, and was placing focus on it. Then I decided to show a picture with the two arranged for display. So I completely agree with you both. They will be on his fireplace mantle further apart. I will take a picture of them in place on his birthday. And the fireplace is gas, so no worries about smoke damage! ;)
Now to finish the base!

I started on the scenery for the base…just going to be some rocks and grass, etc. not very big, so I can’t get carried away. ;)
I started with two pieces of wood that I staggered and added some filler to create the rocks and depth.
Will dry brush the rocks next and start adding grass and dirt.
3391D2DF-6D29-4C6D-9C14-3A329918FF82.jpeg

Beautiful!
I'm in for a birthday present like this. Although, I'd miss out on the building journey...

It looks very nice, with more and more details, Dean.

A little P1: (A little related news, from last week!)
Lighthouse Kijkduin, with more than 63 meters the highest working lighthouse in the Netherlands, is in danger of collapsing due to rusting. The lighthouse just north of Fort Kijkduin near Den Helder is better known as 'Lange Jaap'. The meadows and roads around the unmanned lighthouse are closed to prevent accidents.
View attachment 258349
Built in 1877, the tower is made entirely of cast iron plates. Due to the use of cast iron, the tower weighs no less than 500 tons. Lange Jaap is the tallest closed cast iron lighthouse in the world.
PS-2:
I won’t make a model of this lighthouse beside my BN. The vitrine would be to high. ;)
Regards, Peter
I think you should build it and put the spiral staircase in it! :p
That lighthouse needs an elevator! ;)

Another pic…
Obviously the lighthouse would be much higher than shown, and once it is on a stand with landscaping, it will be taller. However it will never be the appropriate height in relation to the ship. But it still looks nice together.
View attachment 258523
It looks GREAT, Dean.
Agree with the others: behind the BN. If you consider the waterline or black upper part, the lighthouse standing some more behind on a small elevation, will come into good proportion and perspective.
Regards, Peter

No... Peter has to build a shipyard! :p
View attachment 258546
Some aspects of a shipyard come pretty close.......
Nothing less than the Lunenburg shipyard will suffice!
From the few photos I've seen, that was a simple open windy location:
79CB5E90-9474-4C80-860D-078D031A8BB4.jpeg
I can also remove some frames at the front.........
But this is a bit too off topic in Dean's build log.
Regards, Peter

It looks GREAT, Dean.
Agree with the others: behind the BN. If you consider the waterline or black upper part, the lighthouse standing some more behind on a small elevation, will come into good proportion and perspective.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter! If you look at my post above (picture of base with landscape) it will be raised some. I am going to duplicate this landscape based on actual photo.
LH-PIC02.jpg

View attachment 258552
Regards, Peter
It is actually on topic, considering the lighthouse and other options. ;)

Thank you Peter! If you look at my post above (picture of base with landscape) it will be raised some. I am going to duplicate this landscape based on actual photo.
View attachment 258553
That's a nice picture. That creates expectations ...... The start of the base looks good.
My post was more or less a confirmation. I should have included your quotes:
They will be on his fireplace mantle further apart.
once it is on a stand with landscaping, it will be taller.

Will the plaque comes also? With an inscription regarding your son's birthday?
1632842250528.png
Regards, Peter

That's a nice picture. That creates expectations ...... The start of the base looks good.
My post was more or less a confirmation. I should have included your quotes:

Will the plaque comes also? With an inscription regarding your son's birthday?
View attachment 258583
Regards, Peter
I have overlooked a plaque...yikes...but will order one. Thanks for the reminder! ;)

View attachment 258552
Regards, Peter
Yes, back in those days the vessels were built out in the elements year round! Makes for tough hands on cold winter days. For BN this was substantiated in one of the Bluenose 100 video showings. This looks like a good photo to add to the old photos and resources thread. Thanks for posting it. Rich (PT-2)

Back