Bluenose, 1921, Nova Scotia - 1:72 Scale - YuanQing

This morning before work, I squeezed in a bit of shipyard labor. Made and placed the fore- and main maststeps.

20210114_110216.jpg

Suggestion: the fore maststep is not made to straddle the keelson. I was able to secure it fairly well, but I decided to file a fine groove at the base to seat it over the keelson. I would suggest that future versions of the kit correct for that if possible. It should just be a matter of extending the cheek pieces 1-2 mm in height, and I don't foresee that affecting any other areas of the build. (Just really picking nits here on an extremely well-made kit)

20210114_112559.jpg

Last edited:
This morning before work, I squeezed in a bit of shipyard labor. Made and placed the fore- and main maststeps.

View attachment 205612

Suggestion: the fore maststep is not made to straddle the keelson. I was able to secure it fairly well, but I decided to file a fine groove at the base to seat it over the keelson. I would suggest that future versions of the kit correct for that if possible. It should just be a matter of extending the cheek pieces 1-2 mm in height, and I don't foresee that affecting any other areas of the build. (Just really picking nits here on an extremely well-made kit)

View attachment 205613
With your amazing speedy progress I am not sure when you arrive at the stage of installing the two pump risers (dowels from what I saw earlier posted for the holes), you may consider that those pump riser casings were not round but planked, possibly octagonal at the most gross assumption and likely more sides with each vertical plank beveled and likely tongue and grooved into each other as well as caulked. For a more precise presentation of those you may want to file off from round to multifaceted riser column. That would trick it up to the precision that you are working with in the exposed starboard side. Just a thought for contemplation. . . Great work. Rich (PT-2)

A bit more progress this evening with the crossbeams in the lower bow. These cutouts are mortises for the mounting of the windlass and the bitts at the base of the bowsprit.20210114_233344.jpg
The instructions and images appear to direct you to add the crossbeams and then place these mortise plates between them:
20210114_234228.jpg

However, I found it much better to join these up in pieces in chunks first, as shown below, and then to add the assembly in its proper position. This is just much easier physically, but it also allows you to clean up/sand the whole assembly without wrestling around in that very narrow space at the bow.

20210114_234647.jpg

I decided to stay up late and push through to finish this set of deck beams. Very straightforward process of laying them down in place, but it took some time to sand these all down in preparation. I did somehow manage to break one of these (I really am an oaf), so there is a gap at frame #, but I think I can get away with it as there are a couple of other intended gaps here. Next up...looks like mast steps....and more beams.

View attachment 205487
great progress and it's looks amazing

Began setting the deck beams for the main deck last night.
These are very smoothly CNC-ed, and the remaining tabs are easily cleaned up. A pair of flush cutters makes short work of them and just a little light sanding has them ready to assemble.

20210116_133319.jpg20210116_133332.jpg20210116_133506.jpg20210116_133846.jpg

Last edited:
Back