BLUENOSE by PIERO

With ballast stone you have to keep in mind, that these stones were handled by hand only. so one person should be able to carry a stone alone

We discussed this subject also once in my building lof of the Le Coureur

Here are the stones, properly selected, put in their place! Now I wait for Peter, or whoever for him, to advise me on how to "block them"....

View attachment 287891
Hello Piero

Marking your centerline; great idea. I'll adopt your method for both upper- and lower deck floorbeams on my Bluenose.
On your ballast rock; to me the ballast appear to be a little off-scale, or is it that I can't properly judge it's size from a picture?
As for how to keep the ballast in place, I think Peter mentioned this in his build log, see post #557.

Enjoy!

Johan
Hi Piero. I am in. Very beautiful stones and good to see you replaced the big ones. I selected also the small ones.
Johan did its homework very well. I tumbled them into glue which I diluted with some water.
This is the glue on advise from another log. Its drying clear:
DF28203F-1AC1-492D-B6D2-473A6535D9DF.jpeg
I can work on my BN upside down without a avalanche of stones. :)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
With ballast stone you have to keep in mind, that these stones were handled by hand only. so one person should be able to carry a stone alone

We discussed this subject also once in my building lof of the Le Coureur

Hi Uwe,

the maximum size of a stone I used for is, in 1/72 scale, about 40-45cm. I believe that a sailor of that era was able to carry a stone 40cm in length ...

Hi Piero. I am in. Very beautiful stones and good to see you replaced the big ones. I selected also the small ones.
Johan did its homework very well. I tumbled them into glue which I diluted with some water.
This is the glue on advise from another log. Its drying clear:
View attachment 287912
I can work on my BN upside down without a avalanche of stones. :)
Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter, I don't have that kind of glue. I have a similar and I'll use It.

Hi Uwe,

the maximum size of a stone I used for is, in 1/72 scale, about 40-45cm. I believe that a sailor of that era was able to carry a stone 40cm in length ...
Hello Piero,

I suppose you're slightly optimistic. On average hard rock weighs between 2500 and 3000 kg/m3
If I take your example of a rock 40x40x40cm=0,4x0,x0,4m=0,064m3. Using the lower density, a rock of that size would weigh 160kg, provided I do my math right. Having rocks of around 25x25x25cm would yield a weight of 40kg, which is not easily manhandled.
But, you're the master shipwright for your build, if you're happy with it, I'll keep my big mouth shut...
;)

Johan

Hello Piero,

I suppose you're slightly optimistic. On average hard rock weighs between 2500 and 3000 kg/m3
If I take your example of a rock 40x40x40cm=0,4x0,x0,4m=0,064m3. Using the lower density, a rock of that size would weigh 160kg, provided I do my math right. Having rocks of around 25x25x25cm would yield a weight of 40kg, which is not easily manhandled.
But, you're the master shipwright for your build, if you're happy with it, I'll keep my big mouth shut...
;)

Johan

Dear Johan, you are always right!

But, there is always a but ..., the scaled size of 40cm of the stone is the only larger one that I used to block the exit of the other smaller one from the keel. All the others are smaller in size.

Then, Johan, it's all glued now so ... AMEN!

Looking good Piero! You are making nice progress. ;)

Guardando bene Piero! State facendo dei bei progressi. ;)
Thanks a lot Dean!

And thanks again for the Italian translation! When I worked for about 9 years in California, I was a systems engineer for military use at Hewlett & Packard Co, I always had a bit of a problem talking to Texan colleagues ... It was as if I was talking to Southern Italians rather than their narrow dialect I could understand (in Italian) more or less 25-30% of what they said ...
ROTF

Hello Piero,

;)

Johan
As a side speculation, I think that ballast stones would not be rounded river or surf smoothed types but angular sided and of heave mineral content for greater specific weight than common stones. Angular stones would bed and interlock reducing shifting and tumbling. I also read that when available rock high in iron content and weight would be uses whenever available. Some ship yards took advantage of this in what was available naturally where the yard was located (by choice). We can use glue but in real life the stones and their placement had to do the securement. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks a lot Dean!

And thanks again for the Italian translation! When I worked for about 9 years in California, I was a systems engineer for military use at Hewlett & Packard Co, I always had a bit of a problem talking to Texan colleagues ... It was as if I was talking to Southern Italians rather than their narrow dialect I could understand (in Italian) more or less 25-30% of what they said ...
ROTF
I was born in Houston Texas, my parents are from immigrants. My fathers side is Italian and French, my mothers is German and Dutch. So I’m a real mutt…lol. I have always wanted to visit Italy and I have learned a little Italian. My granddaughter calls me Nonno. ;) I do speak slower than people from the North, but not with a Southern accent.

It was as if I was talking to Southern Italians rather than their narrow dialect I could understand (in Italian) more or less 25-30% of what they said ...
The same over here in the Netherlands; nowadays I'm only able to understand roughly the same you did.
Could it be my hearing though?

I was born in Houston Texas, my parents are from immigrants. My fathers side is Italian and French, my mothers is German and Dutch. So I’m a real mutt…lol. I have always wanted to visit Italy and I have learned a little Italian. My granddaughter calls me Nonno. ;) I do speak slower than people from the North, but not with a Southern accent.
Dean, Nonno is the right word to be called by grandchildren! In English you always have to say, or write, the "grand" before the word ... Too long! ;)

So do you have an Italian surname?

Back