Bluenose - Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

I ordered a display case , just 2 days ago and this will the home for my Bluenose , the front plexiglass not fitted as I am still fitting her out so at this stage needs to be accessible , I will order an engraved brass plate with the schooner’s name , just didn’t like the YQ one and so more sophisticated , yes there are lots of personal touches and yes it can be quite an expensive hobby , tools you name it , I have scratch built a couple of RC models in the past , did I get pleasure out of it , of course otherwise I wouldn’t have done it , the display case as shown costs more than the kit , and that says it all.
The black frame coordinates very well with the black hull for a clean and crisp presentation. Nicely done with the accessibility for your finishing work that will keep it on display as you choose to keep it out of the attraction to spider webs and dust. Rich (PT-2)

The black frame coordinates very well with the black hull for a clean and crisp presentation. Nicely done with the accessibility for your finishing work that will keep it on display as you choose to keep it out of the attraction to spider webs and dust. Rich (PT-2)
The frame isn’t really black but a very dark timber and yes it looks very jazzy , the hull of the Hull isn’t black either but a very very dark blue almost black , why Blue? The name says it all Bluenose , coincidence ? Next will be some mini LED lights focusing on the model

The frame isn’t really black but a very dark timber and yes it looks very jazzy , the hull of the Hull isn’t black either but a very very dark blue almost black , why Blue? The name says it all Bluenose , coincidence ? Next will be some mini LED lights focusing on the model
Builders artistic freedom and selection. Rich

Hi Robert,
Thats a very fine display, with the insected glass. I made one with the same technique for my Mirage.
You can also place a LED strip at the top/front edge of the display. That gives a nice distributed lighting over your model. The small bit of reflection via the back, makes the shadows diffuser. Certainly in combination with a dimmer. You can buy them in different lenght. But with some spots in the edges, you can also high-light your BN.
As by my Lee:
DD8826EF-2718-4AB4-8889-34EB7E792A2F.jpeg
Regards, Peter

Hi Robert,
Thats a very fine display, with the insected glass. I made one with the same technique for my Mirage.
You can also place a LED strip at the top/front edge of the display. That gives a nice distributed lighting over your model. The small bit of reflection via the back, makes the shadows diffuser. Certainly in combination with a dimmer. You can buy them in different lenght. But with some spots in the edges, you can also high-light your BN.
As by my Lee:
View attachment 235951
Regards, Peter
Just a thought that some shadows provide the contrasts to better present the model without everything "blanded" out which is not how nature works in reality for the ships at sea. Except for very foggy days some contrasting darker lines still exist. Rich

Something to consider , I made a mistake hence posting the pictures to be aware of , I am not going to change my built , it would totally destroy all the hard work, so will have to live with it , my BN will do without top shrouds , the main YQ plan is not very clear on that but on investigation it showed .

DD1C0BB5-B437-46CF-9B69-5CAD41B4FB26.jpeg86E4DB5C-414C-4344-9E55-9925CA3EDFA3.pngE89DCB1E-23EB-498B-B61E-3B6D103F3B9D.jpeg

Something to consider , I made a mistake hence posting the pictures to be aware of , I am not going to change my built , it would totally destroy all the hard work, so will have to live with it , my BN will do without top shrouds , the main YQ plan is not very clear on that but on investigation it showed .
Your work needs no apologies. She looks great. I particularly like your dories and the small dory buckets on the deck. I have not been able to produce consistent dories to be stacked deep and evenly. You have done an excellent job. Rich (PT-2)

Your work needs no apologies. She looks great. I particularly like your dories and the small dory buckets on the deck. I have not been able to produce consistent dories to be stacked deep and evenly. You have done an excellent job. Rich (PT-2)
That is pictures from the practicum for reference, note the fully planked deck and practicum title above. I believe Robert only used one dory, sans the buckets.

Yes the pictures showing are indeed from the practicum , and as Dean pointed out I have used only one Dory

An hour before completion , working on the Portside rat lines
I have a question which is unlikely to be found in the YQ schooner. . . In standard practice there were running lights/boards on the forward ratline shrouds: Green - Stbd and Red - Port. I have seen only one model photo which showed the entire outboard faces of the boards and lantern fully painted in the corresponding color. Old b/w photos are typically of the back side and look black. I am questioning if the outboard faces would be red or green which would not show up well at dusk and not at night compared to a white outboard face which would reflect the lantern pretty well. Does anyone have a verifiable reference on the outboard color of the running light boards?
Rich (PT-2)

Back