Bluenose - YuanQuing (1:72)

I have to be honest when I opened that box yesterday I felt more than a little overwhelmed. As much as I want to dig in today I'm working until midnight so it will probably be Sunday before I can really take my time and look at it. Since it's supposed to snow Sunday and Monday I guess that's the perfect time.

Yesterday, with snow and ice outside, I opened the Bluenose box and took stock of what was there. This looks to be a beautiful kit. Everything looks very nice. Without a doubt, one of the nicest kits I've seen. I took some time and started on the jig for the hull frames. Not the most exciting thing, but it's progress.

After reading through several other build logs, I think I'll start with the keel, rather than jumping right into the frames. Let me know if anyone has thoughts about that.

Yesterday, with snow and ice outside, I opened the Bluenose box and took stock of what was there. This looks to be a beautiful kit. Everything looks very nice. Without a doubt, one of the nicest kits I've seen. I took some time and started on the jig for the hull frames. Not the most exciting thing, but it's progress.

After reading through several other build logs, I think I'll start with the keel, rather than jumping right into the frames. Let me know if anyone has thoughts about that.
Hi Rodney. Good to read that you have started.
My advice is to start with the keel. Then you can fit the frames directly on the keel (and keelson) when making them.
But that can of course also be done the other way around. After you have made the frames and then the keel. Then you can also customize them.
But I liked it to fit them on the keel with the 2 bottom parts of the frames. Then the side parts were not in the way either. Because that can also be read in the other logs: they are fragile.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Rodney. Good te read that you have started.
My advice is to start with the keel. Then you can fit the frames directly on the keel (and keelson) when making them.
But that can of course also be done the other way around. After you have made the frames and then the keel. Then you can also customize them.
But I liked it to fit them on the keel with the 2 bottom parts of the frames. Then the side parts were not in the way either. Because that can also be read in the other logs: they are fragile.
Regards, Peter

Honestly, this doesn't feel like much of a start yet but it's something. I still need to find something to attach the jig to, It's not that I don't have sheets of plywood I could use, it's a matter of finding perfectly flat sheets of plywood.

As for the frames and keel, you identified the exact reasons I was thinking of going that route. Being able to dry fit as I go along just seems to make sense. Doing it before I attached the frames to the jig seems far easier. Of course there's the fact that seeing the keel done is a bit of gratification.

I finally got started in earnest.i had built the jig a while back but that was the extent of my progress.

Taking the cute from many of the others in this group I started with the keel. This was pretty straightforward so far and as many before me have mentioned the fit was excellent.

PXL_20220310_100943813.MP.jpg

I likely won't get much done as we are heading to the warmth of Puerto Rico to escape the cold weather.

That is perfectly executed Rodney! Enjoy Puerto Rico (in my Mazda Rotary days, Puerto Rico has always been the headquarters of Rotary Drag Racing (although our Australian friends won't agree). I have always wanted to go visit Salinas Speedway, but never got around to it.

I finally got started in earnest.i had built the jig a while back but that was the extent of my progress.

Taking the cute from many of the others in this group I started with the keel. This was pretty straightforward so far and as many before me have mentioned the fit was excellent.

View attachment 295431

I likely won't get much done as we are heading to the warmth of Puerto Rico to escape the cold weather.
Every build started with the first step, Rodney. Good to see your start with the keel parts. Then you got the feeling!
Puerto Rico looks great with hopefully a lot of sunshine. Perhaps take some small part with you, like Piero does.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 295431

Enjoy the warmth!
You can always consider taking some homework with you, Admiral permitting of course. ;)

That is perfectly executed Rodney! Enjoy Puerto Rico (in my Mazda Rotary days, Puerto Rico has always been the headquarters of Rotary Drag Racing (although our Australian friends won't agree). I have always wanted to go visit Salinas Speedway, but never got around to it.
So I'm guessing you had an RX-7 if it was a rotary. I have a 2002 MX-5, our club has a number of folks still driving some amazing looking RX-7s. I'm looking forward to the spring driving season. We try to do an outing twice a month, fifteen or twenty Miata's driving the back roads. The Miata's home track is Laguna Seca in California. A few years ago they had a massive gathering for the 30th anniversary, but I didn't make that, just to far to drive and to expensive to have the car shipped.

Every build started with the first step, Rodney. Good to see your start with the keel parts. Then you got the feeling!
Puerto Rico looks great with hopefully a lot of sunshine. Perhaps take some small part with you, like Piero does.
Regards, Peter
I don't think the Admiral would be on board with me taking any along. Even if I did I don't think there would be time, ATVing, snorkling, kyaking and hiking are going to keep me busy. At my age time sitting on the beach is more appropriate, but my daughter and her boyfriend have other ideas.

So I'm guessing you had an RX-7 if it was a rotary. I have a 2002 MX-5, our club has a number of folks still driving some amazing looking RX-7s. I'm looking forward to the spring driving season. We try to do an outing twice a month, fifteen or twenty Miata's driving the back roads. The Miata's home track is Laguna Seca in California. A few years ago they had a massive gathering for the 30th anniversary, but I didn't make that, just to far to drive and to expensive to have the car shipped.
Rodney, yes. I had the Generation 1 Series 2 RX-7 and my son now has the 3rd Generation Series 6 model. Both of these were/are turbocharged. My son's car develops 550 bhp at 1Bar boost, so you can well imagine that it is a monster. The Miata racing series in the USA, is - I believe - the biggest one-marque track racing series in the world!

View attachment 295431

Good afternoon, I ask, the keel of the Bluenose is projected

Finally, I've finished the keel. It all went together well, and all the notches for the ribs aligned perfectly. I still need to attach the four remaining pieces to the stern, but I haven't beveled them yet. Aside from ensuring everything aligned properly, this was very straightforward, and all the posts about beveling the two pieces for the bow were super helpful.

A special thank you to all those who before me for the great posts.

PXL_20220323_032033016.jpgPXL_20220323_102822879.jpgPXL_20220404_162658946.jpg

Back