Bluenose - YuanQuing (1:72)

Not wanting to follow the path taken by those far wiser before me I put aside the frames and made some items for the deck. My thought was this was just a little project and I could zip through it. Well all those little parts took care longer than planned. But in the end I'm very pleased.

With that finished I started on the frames yesterday. Two glued up and ready to be filed.PXL_20220421_121717049.MP.jpg

A day into the frames and it's slow going. The big issue is lack of clamps. You can just never have too many clamps. At this pace it will probably take me three weeks to get them all glued up.

On another note, I was thinking of adding small nails at the joints. Can anyone provide some historical information on the number and placement?

PXL_20220423_134700274.jpg

A day into the frames and it's slow going. The big issue is lack of clamps. You can just never have too many clamps. At this pace it will probably take me three weeks to get them all glued up.

On another note, I was thinking of adding small nails at the joints. Can anyone provide some historical information on the number and placement?

View attachment 304710
If you like I could make a picture of a sketch in the Saga. It shows how the frame treenails could have been done...

This is what I did; a nominal pitch between 8 and 12mm, depending on the frame size. At every internal frame joint 2+2 and 2 lh and 2 rh of the keelson. You're now looking at the aft side of the frame. On the fwd side there's typically an internal frame joint as well. There I also put in 2+2 treenails. I think I put in about 30 treenails per frame, depending on frame size.

52C5CAC3-7516-4519-BDAB-D30490627E01.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 304710
When I was working frames, I came to completing one frame per day, on average. That included bonding, beveling, treenailing and sanding. But, take your own sweet time making your frames, it does payoff in the end.

When I was working frames, I came to completing one frame per day, on average. That included bonding, beveling, treenailing and sanding. But, take your own sweet time making your frames, it does payoff in the end.
The first day I did one all the way through except the treenails, which I'm still contemplating. I got to the end and after spending a lot of time working on it, I felt like I hadn't accomplished anything. So I've decided to go the production route. I'll glue up as many as I have clamps for each day for a while, and then once I have a stack, I'll start the beveling. Then I thought I would do the treenails full assembly line fashion, but I might just do them as I get them beveled. I guess I'll see what happens, only day three of frame construction so a long way to go. Of course it's spring and the admiral seems to think trimming shrubs and pulling weeds is more important. What can you do?

The first day I did one all the way through except the treenails, which I'm still contemplating. I got to the end and after spending a lot of time working on it, I felt like I hadn't accomplished anything. So I've decided to go the production route. I'll glue up as many as I have clamps for each day for a while, and then once I have a stack, I'll start the beveling. Then I thought I would do the treenails full assembly line fashion, but I might just do them as I get them beveled. I guess I'll see what happens, only day three of frame construction so a long way to go. Of course it's spring and the admiral seems to think trimming shrubs and pulling weeds is more important. What can you do?
Looks familiar. I must admit I had about five to ten frames in different production stages at any given time. That's not counting some setbacks I experienced (especially broken frames).

As far as setting priorities, she isn't the Admiral for nothing, is she? So we, mere modeling mortals, just bow to their wishes. ;)

This is what I did; a nominal pitch between 8 and 12mm, depending on the frame size. At every internal frame joint 2+2 and 2 lh and 2 rh of the keelson. You're now looking at the aft side of the frame. On the fwd side there's typically an internal frame joint as well. There I also put in 2+2 treenails. I think I put in about 30 treenails per frame, depending on frame size.
What diameter hole did you use. I did some tests this after with 0.6 mm and 0.65 mm and both seemed too small. I also used some thin super glue to hold them in, but even a little dab seemed to stain the wood around them. If I recall you said in your post they seemed to work without glue, how did that turn out?

PXL_20220424_192308078.MP.jpg

What diameter hole did you use. I did some tests this after with 0.6 mm and 0.65 mm and both seemed too small. I also used some thin super glue to hold them in, but even a little dab seemed to stain the wood around them. If I recall you said in your post they seemed to work without glue, how did that turn out?

View attachment 305002
I used a 0,6mm drill. Tried a couple of other options as well, 0,3mm and 0,5mm pencils. The most satisfying result was given by the 0,6mm drill with inserted toothpicks. I didn't use superglue, but started with a normal wood adhesive (non waterproof) and later tried inserting the toothpicks without adhesive. Both work satisfactory, but the application of a wood adhesive requires you to clean up properly. It's best to remove most of the adhesive before it's fully cured. After clipping the toothpicks, remove the residu adhesive and sand the frame surfaces to remove any adhesive still visible.
So far I haven't had any issues with the non-bonded treenails.
The issue with superglue or CA adhesives is that they leave very hard to remove stains. For all bonds in the hull so far I exclusively used wood glue. It's easier to remove, but it's best to do so before it's completely cured.
See also post #116 of my Bluenose build log.

Last edited:
I've actually made good progress glueing frames together this weekend and at the 1/3 mark. Still a lot to go and a lot of filing and sanding ahead. So far they are all going together well. Just tedious glue, wait, glue, wait.

View attachment 305010

There are a few missing from the picture because they were still in clamps.
Hi Rodney. They look nice and straight. Investing in time to get the job securely done, pays off when they are on the keel in the jig and then shows her beautiful lines.
Regards, Peter

Hi Rodney. They look nice and straight. Investing in time to get the job securely done, pays off when they are on the keel in the jig and then shows her beautiful lines.
Regards, Peter
I have to be honest, I've only test fitted two of them. They seem so fragile I don't want to put more stress on them until it's actually time to put them in place.

Back