Bluenose - YuanQuing (1:72)

Great accomplishment on the frames, Rodney. They look great and nicely cleaned up from the char. It was hard work, but now you will be able to see all that hard work bear fruit.
That's exactly how I felt when I slid the frames in the slots, a huge sense of accomplishment. It actually is starting to look like a ship after all these months of glueing frames, and sanding. I'm only about half way through, but I can see the end in sight. I'm actually feeling really good about it at this point.

Well finally I’m dry fitting the frames into the jig. As mentioned the slots are too tight for the frames so each one is being gently sanded to fit.

This part so far is going much better than I expected. But it’s a lot of fitting sanding taking apart and fitting again. For the first time I can see a ship taking from.

View attachment 317168
That’s looking very nice, Rodney. The first real results, the shape of the hull is born!
Beware of sanding the slots always on the same side f.i. the front. Than the space between every frame will be everywhere the same. Later on with the build, you will know why (Spacers / Waterways etc) And like Johan wrote, keep checking (check, check, double check).
Regards, Peter

I'm about to embark on this wondrous adventure with a great deal of trepidation, but I feel confident with the help of all those in the group that have gone before me I'll be able to finish this task.

My Bluenose is #47, and it looks like it's on its way. In the meantime, I wait.

View attachment 278971
Hallo @RodneyB
we wish you all the BEST and belayed a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I feel like I’ve let the Bluenose team down as I haven’t posted in nearly a year, but I found myself dog and cat sitting in Florida for my daughter for a good six months.

Hopefully now that I’m back in Virginia for a while I’ll make some progress on the Bluenose.

I want to point out I didn’t entirely waste my time. Finding I was bored and alone except for the dog and cat I ordered one of those $15 “model” ship kits on Amazon to entertain myself and see if with nothing more than a hobby knife, wood glue and sandpaper, all from Amazon and under $10 I could create something that at least looked better than the image. So with the exception of the vent pipes and anchors, which cost more than the kit I succeeded well at least I think I did.

I would have created a build log but the model didn’t even have a name. Anyway here’s what I ended up with. Not great but considering what I started with not bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1454_Original.jpeg

So it’s back to the Bluenose.

I feel like I’ve let the Bluenose team down as I haven’t posted in nearly a year, but I found myself dog and cat sitting in Florida for my daughter for a good six months.

Hopefully now that I’m back in Virginia for a while I’ll make some progress on the Bluenose.

I want to point out I didn’t entirely waste my time. Finding I was bored and alone except for the dog and cat I ordered one of those $15 “model” ship kits on Amazon to entertain myself and see if with nothing more than a hobby knife, wood glue and sandpaper, all from Amazon and under $10 I could create something that at least looked better than the image. So with the exception of the vent pipes and anchors, which cost more than the kit I succeeded well at least I think I did.

I would have created a build log but the model didn’t even have a name. Anyway here’s what I ended up with. Not great but considering what I started with not bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 383740

Hi Rodney. That a very nice ‘intermediate build’ of a lovely boat. What a coincidence: last week I was also looking for a ‘intermediate’ paper model. Just for fun.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 383740

She just looks really nice to me and, as long as you had fun doing it, why not?

After I went back through the log I realized I hadn’t posted my latest progress before I left. So here’s all the frames in place. The keel isn’t glued in, just there to make sure everything lines up.

View attachment 383741
Welcome back Rodney!
To me the grand old lady looks ready to be back in business.
Hope to see some nice updates in the next couple of months! ;)

That's exactly how I felt when I slid the frames in the slots, a huge sense of accomplishment. It actually is starting to look like a ship after all these months of glueing frames, and sanding. I'm only about half way through, but I can see the end in sight. I'm actually feeling really good about it at this point.
To finish all that sanding was such a huge accomplishment. Honestly I still have the last five or six that are in halves to sand but that seems like a minor project after the first fifty.

Oh my gosh if I never glue another frame together I will live the rest of my life in bliss. At least until I get the bug to build another POF. But I did it. I managed to get to the end. Now I can flip the hull over and start working on the rest. This took way longer than I ever imagined but I’m pleased with the results of course the delay was all my fault.

IMG_1482.jpeg

Oh my gosh if I never glue another frame together I will live the rest of my life in bliss. At least until I get the bug to build another POF. But I did it. I managed to get to the end. Now I can flip the hull over and start working on the rest. This took way longer than I ever imagined but I’m pleased with the results of course the delay was all my fault.

View attachment 385930
That looks great, Rodney. A big chapter closed. And I am sure that till this step it took way to long for all of us, BN PoF builders.
Now with new energy working with the reinforcements inside the hull.
Regard, Peter

Last edited:
Congratulations on finishing the hull construction, Rodney. This is a big job and you have done it in style. You can move forward with great confidence!

Back