Bluenose - YuanQuing (1:72)

I have to be honest, I've only test fitted two of them. They seem so fragile I don't want to put more stress on them until it's actually time to put them in place.
There's a couple of items one may want to take into account, at least I did and a few others before me:
1. The cutouts in the jig for the frames are too narrow, or the frames too thick. I filed the aft edge of all frames to the required thickness, preferably still tight fitting, but without risking breakage.
2. The cutouts in the frames for the keel do not take into account the thickness of the adhesive one used for the keel assembly. So it's not only char removal, but also ensuring the cutouts in your frames match the keel thicknesses. I used a set of calipers to measure and check both.
3. The same applies for the keelsons, although no accumulated thickness occurs, like with the keel assembly, one still has to deal with char removal and thickness variations. When timely taken care off, it will help you greatly later into the build.
4. A number of people, myself included, experienced longitudinal misalignment of the frame cutouts of the keel assembly. You might also want to address this phenomenon in a timely fashion, meaning check every completed frame on it's appropriate position on the keel.

In the end of the day I dry fitted every single frame in the jig and with the keel and the keelsons. A lot of preparations and time consuming, but handsomely paying off.

Last edited:
So far the ribs are coming along slow but sure. While I was waiting for the glue to dry I took advantage of some time and built the main cabin. Slowly things are taking shape. I'm getting very anxious to see the rubs all in the frame.

View attachment 306327
A nice build, Rodney. And good for the brains to do something else then ‘framing’. You oiled the roof?
Regard, Peter

A nice build, Rodney. And good for the brains to do something else then ‘framing’. You oiled the roof?
Regard, Peter
It was actually my daughter's idea. I guess I was droning on about framing and she said do something else. I can't believe I raised someone so insightful. I used tung oil on the roof. I tried different things on the scrap pieces and liked the look of that the best. It is a very pretty wood and the oil just highlights that beauty. I plan to oil the frames, but will have to do that after all the gluing is done, but honestly I'm not sure how I will be able to get to some of them. I suppose that's a worry for another day.

It was actually my daughter’s idea.
A smart daughter :)!
I plan to oil the frames, but will have to do that after all the gluing is done, but honestly I'm not sure how I will be able to get to some of them. I suppose that's a worry for another day.
I have oiled the frames and parts of the hull also step by step. A matter of always looking at where nothing has to be glued and having patience! And a small brush works wonders. When the sanding of my deck is done, I'm going to oil the last parts of the deck- and bearing beams and the tops of the frames.
Regards, Peter

I have a dumb question. I've been using one of those tiny diamond files on the frames, but it doesn't take long before it's gunked up. What's the best thing to use to clean them. It seems like a normal file card would be too big. A toothbrush isn't aggressive enough.

I have a dumb question. I've been using one of those tiny diamond files on the frames, but it doesn't take long before it's gunked up. What's the best thing to use to clean them. It seems like a normal file card would be too big. A toothbrush isn't aggressive enough.
Use a crepe rubber block.Screenshot_20220504-212139_Chrome.jpg

I use a small copper brush to clean them. That’s not aggressive for ‘the diamond’.

So it happened this morning. I broke my first frame. I made it all the way to 39 with no mishaps. Well, off to repair the damage. Maybe that's just what happens when your allergies are raging and your head feels like it's not attached.

So it happened this morning. I broke my first frame. I made it all the way to 39 with no mishaps. Well, off to repair the damage. Maybe that's just what happens when your allergies are raging and your head feels like it's not attached.
Didn't need any allergies to break a couple of frames... Had to repair about six frames.
So I'm a proud member of the BFC. ROTF

I normally put my diamond files under running water in the sink, and just run my finger across them to help remove the wood that is trapped in the grit. That usually cleans them, like new! ;)

Well finally I’m dry fitting the frames into the jig. As mentioned the slots are too tight for the frames so each one is being gently sanded to fit.

This part so far is going much better than I expected. But it’s a lot of fitting sanding taking apart and fitting again. For the first time I can see a ship taking from.

2A8A5789-A0DB-479C-BC30-2563ADF3C49B.jpeg

Well finally I’m dry fitting the frames into the jig. As mentioned the slots are too tight for the frames so each one is being gently sanded to fit.

This part so far is going much better than I expected. But it’s a lot of fitting sanding taking apart and fitting again. For the first time I can see a ship taking from.

View attachment 317168
For the initial fitting I used calipers to measure both jig and frames. During sanding I used calipers to check the thickness of the frames. Once close I started fit checking the frames in the jig. I did the same with the frames and the keel and keelsons

Great accomplishment on the frames, Rodney. They look great and nicely cleaned up from the char. It was hard work, but now you will be able to see all that hard work bear fruit.

Back