Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

It’s great to see your work. Murphy is truly everywhere and he comes at the worst times.
:D:D Yup, I think he's a permanent resident here. Normally he's camped out in the basement, waiting for me to show off my Model Railroad layout, but now it appears he's discovered my shipyard. :(:(

Jan

Hi Jan,
I'm beginning to believe that Mr. Murphy has something to do with paddle steamers. He has also visited me a few times.
But it's nice to see that you were able to rebuild it. And scratching with your own material is very satisfying.
Hopefully your basement will soon have a good climate for the trains and the Chaperon.
Regards, Peter

Hi Jan,
I'm beginning to believe that Mr. Murphy has something to do with paddle steamers. He has also visited me a few times.
But it's nice to see that you were able to rebuild it. And scratching with your own material is very satisfying.
Hopefully your basement will soon have a good climate for the trains and the Chaperon.
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter,
Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully as our local weather turns cooler and then colder Mr. M. will head South (to Florida) and bother people there. Today was a shipyard day and a Basement day. I had to replace several diode switching circuits on my RR layout, I've not been able to trace the cause of failure of the original circuits but I do suspect "What's HIs Name" ;)

Jan

Todays effort:
F144E95B-1832-4CCE-8F7F-C95BE43C08CB_1_201_a.jpeg

The rear structure pieces both Port and Starboard are set and glued in position. I've not "squared" the front part by the boiler or added the staircase. I want to work on the boiler and then add some bracing or beams to help support the boiler deck floor.

Jan

Todays effort:
View attachment 259839

The rear structure pieces both Port and Starboard are set and glued in position. I've not "squared" the front part by the boiler or added the staircase. I want to work on the boiler and then add some bracing or beams to help support the boiler deck floor.

Jan
This is a beautiful picture of your progress Jan! The boiler is an impressive structure - I cant wait to see what details you will add.

Todays effort:
View attachment 259839

Jan
With a ship with such long lines, you can quickly see a deviation. The photo shows the beautiful flowing lines of the hull. And the structure fits nicely on the MainDeck. Good that you are thinking about extra support for the boiler deck.
The black boiler will soon be in the shade. But still more in plain sight than on my Lee. Steam engine operators loved copper work. Great for polishing every day. ;)
Just like Heinrich: hope to see your details soon, Jan.
Regards, Peter

Part of the custom detail mix:

ACB98A21-7C73-4FAE-A5F0-DDF3384158A7_1_201_a.jpeg

My inspiration and a detail borrowed from the well documented SOS "Robt. E. Lee". The waterline. Since my hands aren't all that steady and my eyesight is "iffy" for close work, I resorted to 1/16 inch red "MATTE" graphic tape for this little project. A coat of "True North Gloss Coat" holds it in place.

Jan

Part of the custom detail mix:

View attachment 260119

My inspiration and a detail borrowed from the well documented SOS "Robt. E. Lee". The waterline. Since my hands aren't all that steady and my eyesight is "iffy" for close work, I resorted to 1/16 inch red "MATTE" graphic tape for this little project. A coat of "True North Gloss Coat" holds it in place.

Jan
Looking good. I noticed that it looks like you had added the roof support runs that the boiler area stationeries attach to. These runs can’t attach to the front entry structure as they will interfere with the smoke stacks. The need to be trimmed to stop at the final stationary. You may already know this but just wanted to alert you. The plans show this incorrectly but the instructions do highlight this issue.

Looking good. I noticed that it looks like you had added the roof support runs that the boiler area stationeries attach to. These runs can’t attach to the front entry structure as they will interfere with the smoke stacks. The need to be trimmed to stop at the final stationary. You may already know this but just wanted to alert you. The plans show this incorrectly but the instructions do highlight this issue.
@Barry1,
Indeed I did notice that “tiny” error in the plans and wound up circling that “note” in the build instructions. My plan is add some 1/8 inch square bracing to the roof support after the boiler is finished and set in. Then I will remove that part of the support piece by the stairwell structure. I’ll take and post a couple of pictures later to show that part of the build.

Jan

(Haven’t spent much time in the shipyard, we’re having beautiful Fall weather and the Admiral and I have spent the time driving along the coast and in the mountains admiring the leaf colors)

Last edited:
Pictures to go with Post #194.

The area of concern mentioned by Barry1. Before the Boiler deck is added this part of the support brace has to be removed so the short pieces for the Boiler smoke stacks will fit after the Boiler deck is added.

099FF501-EE1B-4645-9A5D-F92CDDC40A7B.jpeg

The arrows point to the Boiler deck support piece that needs to be removed.

800DA28E-881D-4480-BF0B-E162561DE2D6.jpeg

This view shows how the Boiler deck will fit. The arrows point to the pieces of the support structure that need to be removed.

I hope this shows what Barry1 pointed out.

Jan

Hi Jan. It is good to see that you have read ahead and made the necessary contingency plans. To be forewarned is always a good thing!

Rivets: DIY Rivets??

I've been experimenting with how to replicate rivet heads. I've looked on line, found many ideas and methods, but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. This morning while working on another project I came up with this solution.

B01CF7B2-4DCA-4D98-9833-BE8343AD4D2B_1_201_a.jpeg

I had the 1/4 inch copper tape left over from another project, the scribed siding is a piece left over from my Tug build and the Router bit happened to be handy. I taped a 1/32 X 1/16 inch strip as guide to a piece of copper tape with the backing side out and used the Router bit to punch an indentation at every scribed line. The strip at the right is the result. Now I need to calculate the size of the rivet heads for the Boiler sides.

Jan

Pictures to go with Post #194.

The area of concern mentioned by Barry1. Before the Boiler deck is added this part of the support brace has to be removed so the short pieces for the Boiler smoke stacks will fit after the Boiler deck is added.

View attachment 262387

The arrows point to the Boiler deck support piece that needs to be removed.

View attachment 262388

This view shows how the Boiler deck will fit. The arrows point to the pieces of the support structure that need to be removed.

I hope this shows what Barry1 pointed out.

Jan
Indeed it does!!

Back