Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

I'm finding that I need to know about wood grain. Some pieces I've tried snapped fairly quickly when after repeated soaking, heating and bending they almost fit the corner, Others were more pliable. My knowledge of wood types and their properties is close to zero, so it's learn as you go.

I will try your suggestion on the next critical bend, unfortunately the two problem bends have been fiddled, diddled, pounded and glued in place.:rolleyes::rolleyes: It's now a cosmetic fix to "cover up" that little item.

Jan
what was the wood species you were bending?

I'm finding that I need to know about wood grain. Some pieces I've tried snapped fairly quickly when after repeated soaking, heating and bending they almost fit the corner, Others were more pliable. My knowledge of wood types and their properties is close to zero, so it's learn as you go.

I will try your suggestion on the next critical bend, unfortunately the two problem bends have been fiddled, diddled, pounded and glued in place.:rolleyes::rolleyes: It's now a cosmetic fix to "cover up" that little item.

Jan
Softer woods (obechi, lime wood, balsa, etc.) bend easier than hardwoods (oak, mahogany, etc.). However the thickness factors in as well. It is common practice to use multiple thin pieces that are layered to get a sharp bend. This practice was used on airplane wing tips.
So you could make thin veneers of the same wood, that would bend easy, and layer them to make a corner piece, that would be joined to the straights. Also steam or soaking for long periods prior to heating will help.
And finally, I have made small cuts in the back of a curved piece to allow it to bend on itself. So you could put a series of small cuts with an xacto blade on the inside of the curve. ;)
If you’re not sure what you’re dealing with. Identify the wood type and look it up online. You can get density, janka rating, and wood working properties. ;)

I see where you already installed the curved items you were having difficulty with. I haven't bent basswood quite as much as you did here but think I can successfully using a steam box and steam generator. I have bent oak, mahogany, wenge, basswood, redwood and others quite easily using steam. The heat softens the lignins and allows bending to take place. Then it is a matter of clamping the steamed item in a form and allowed to dry. Another consideration is thinner pieces, laminated together during the bending effort. Basswood is fairly soft and lends itself to bending. To bend easier, insure your stock has a straight grain.20210128_135711.jpg20210126_141458.jpgBox16.jpg20210126_160313.jpg

Last edited:
I see where you already installed the curved items you were having difficulty with. I haven't bent basswood quite as much as you did here but think I can successfully using a steam box and steam generator. I have bent oak, mahogany, wenge, basswood, redwood and others quite easily using steam. The heat softens the lignins and allows bending to take place. Then it is a matter of clamping the steamed item in a form and allowed to dry. Another consideration is thinner pieces, laminated together during the bending effort. Basswood is fairly soft and lends itself to bending. To bend easier, insure your stock has a straight grain.View attachment 273939View attachment 273941View attachment 273942View attachment 273940
Were these self designed mold or did you find them somewhere online to buy them from?

@dean2, @Philski

Wow great advice and fantastic pictures to ponder. Funny thing, I made forms to bend planks, etc. for my last builds, I never thought to do the same for this build. I think the right angle bend threw me off, I just couldn't work my mind around it.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. Another piece of build info to add to my learning curve.

Jan

First, I have a full woodshop and build many things, including fly fishing hand nets. I steam wood for them. So, it was easy to design what I needed to bend wood for my ship models. I use the ship laser cuts to determine the curve, cut the forms out on a bandsaw and there you have it!
View attachment 273948View attachment 273949View attachment 273950View attachment 273951View attachment 273952View attachment 273953View attachment 273954
@dean2, @Philski

Wow great advice and fantastic pictures to ponder. Funny thing, I made forms to bend planks, etc. for my last builds, I never thought to do the same for this build. I think the right angle bend threw me off, I just couldn't work my mind around it.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. Another piece of build info to add to my learning curve.

Jan
Very nicely crafted net handles with beautiful wood tones. Maybe ahead of reading but what do you finish them with? Do you also tie the net or purchase one? Rich

First, I have a full woodshop and build many things, including fly fishing hand nets. I steam wood for them. So, it was easy to design what I needed to bend wood for my ship models. I use the ship laser cuts to determine the curve, cut the forms out on a bandsaw and there you have it!
View attachment 273948View attachment 273949View attachment 273950View attachment 273951View attachment 273952View attachment 273953View attachment 273954
Skills.o_O Phil has plenty.

The finish is first Watco Danish Oil -natural color. Then after it has fully cured ( >3 days ), then sprayed several coats of spar urethane. I purchase nets (and other fly tying materials) from Netcraft.
I wonder if you also tie bamboo fly rods.. ,. . at least wrap the guides. I love the calming rhythm of fly casting but a a fly in the air doesn't catch fish. Being able to place it is the magic for an enticement and dinner!!!! Rich

I wonder if you also tie bamboo fly rods.. ,. . at least wrap the guides. I love the calming rhythm of fly casting but a a fly in the air doesn't catch fish. Being able to place it is the magic for an enticement and dinner!!!! Rich
I thought about building bamboo rods but never did anything about it. Its an art in itself and would be fun time permitting.

I thought about building bamboo rods but never did anything about it. Its an art in itself and would be fun time permitting.
Wow, that brings back great happy memories. Years ago I received a combo bamboo fly fishing rod as a BD present. That rod traveled with me on many field trips to remote areas of the state.. I usually managed to find a place to “drown” a fly.

Jan

Bumblers Notebook #11: Inspiration from all your inputs.

After reading, re-reading all your helpful advice I've come up with several solutions to my numerous tries at sharp bends.

First on the agenda was a form to hold the strips I was trying to bend, I didn't seem to have enough hands (@Heinrich, "the Admiral was busy with Christmas decorating"), so a piece of 1 X 4 inch scrap was modified with a half 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch diameter "hole"and then a slope for longer pieces. ( I do have a Kolderstok iron) but it seems a good idea to "plagiarize" the Google images that I found.

The second DIY piece was to create a jig to hold the pieces while they dried, probably should have done that the first few tries at bending, I didn't think far enough ahead for this step.:rolleyes:

CF754F4C-B25A-4DEF-900F-D4035E90093A.jpeg
Above are the bow end of the the Hurricane deck cap rails in the jig drying, below are the stern cap rails in the jig drying.

C377407D-BE8E-4FB8-8394-C879D9E1E8AE.jpeg

The DIY bending assistant is also visible in the picture above.

I may go back and "redo" the Boiler deck cap rails at the stern, since with all the help I've received, my "bending" technique is resulting in much better product.

Thanks again guys.

Jan

Back