Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Bumblers Notebook... A temporary set back.

The work for today was to add the "roof" to the Boiler deck structure. After separating the pieces from the laser cut sprue I noticed the "RO-OH" moment.

The detail sheet included with the build plan.

View attachment 280118

The piece that should correspond with the plan sheet.

View attachment 280121

The "RO-OH" moment when fitting the Port and Starboard pieces together.

View attachment 280122

So there you have it.

I'll have to occupy my time with other tasks while I try to get a replacement.

Jan
Unbelievable what they have done with that sheet!
I agree with the options from Heinrich or Dean. Depending on the ‘original’ layout.
I think Peter used black sandpaper to simulate roofing material. It looked very good IMO. And it can be painted if you wish. A fine grade would probably be best for scale. Maybe 220 grit. ;)
I used anthracite (waterproof) sandpaper800, but The Lee is 1:96.
And I gave the paper 2 layers of transparant spray. Then there comes no dust between the grit lateron.
Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

Your method is worth considering, since the hurricane deck and pilot house roofs should probably have the same treatment.

Years ago I used tissue paper stippled with white glue and then painted flat black for roof covering on my HO scale buildings. But those were 1/87 scale and relatively small surfaces.

I will have to experiment with some different grits of sandpaper to get an idea of how your method will work.

Jan

Hi Peter,

Your method is worth considering, since the hurricane deck and pilot house roofs should probably have the same treatment.

Years ago I used tissue paper stippled with white glue and then painted flat black for roof covering on my HO scale buildings. But those were 1/87 scale and relatively small surfaces.

I will have to experiment with some different grits of sandpaper to get an idea of how your method will work.

Jan
The advantage of the waterproof paper is that you can glue it with regular woodglue. It does not absorb moisture and therefore does not wrinkle. Let it dry under pressure.

Hi Jan
It’s been a while (apologies) that I have not checked in. You are really overcoming a lot of obstacles.
I have had my heart set on this steamboat for a long time. I am glad that I have this log to go by in the future.
Have u considered asking bluebeard about the hole? I think he works at model expo and they should revise their CNC to cut out things like this in the correct place. But, they probably mill out so many of this kit, they would have to make the change in the next batch they cut out.

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for checking out my log. I have to admit that many of the "obstacles" were the result my inexperience. The current problem however would vex any of the SOS members. I have sent a email to Model Expo outlining the problem with that piece, hopefully they will check the contents of their stock of Chaperon kits before they ship anymore. The current plan is to follow Dean62's advice but instead of planking use Peter Voogt's method for creating a roof cover.

Jan

Bumblers Notebook - “The bits and pieces”

A little more progress today. Between shoveling and snow blowing sessions I managed to find a couple of hours to complete the stairwell that goes from the Boiler deck to the Hurricane deck.

66EF4791-5EE5-4218-8F8F-DF1705CFE3BC.jpeg

The vertical side pieces looked very “plain” so I added some planking. I’m happy with that fix.

Jan

Bumblers Notebook - The Hurricane deck.

Well we have snow but we also have bitter cold. Yesterday the outside temperature with wind chill was -7F/-13C, so I spent some time finishing the Boiler deck portion. This morning I pieced together the Hurricane deck and tried a dry fit.

8756DE2A-57B3-436D-8B4C-37CDA04F0D03_1_201_a.jpeg

Everything seems to line up. I need to figure out if I should glue all four pieces together and then do the roof covering or glue the pieces to the Boiler deck structure and then cover the roof. The problem is covering the markings for placing the skylight, all stanchion holes and the boiler stack holes. So it's off to do some odd things while the ideas percolate.

Jan

Bumblers Notebook - The Hurricane deck.

Well we have snow but we also have bitter cold. Yesterday the outside temperature with wind chill was -7F/-13C, so I spent some time finishing the Boiler deck portion. This morning I pieced together the Hurricane deck and tried a dry fit.

View attachment 282424

Everything seems to line up. I need to figure out if I should glue all four pieces together and then do the roof covering or glue the pieces to the Boiler deck structure and then cover the roof. The problem is covering the markings for placing the skylight, all stanchion holes and the boiler stack holes. So it's off to do some odd things while the ideas percolate.

Jan
Hi Jan,
This takes your Chaperon to the next level. Literally and figuratively. Chapeaux!
Regards, Peter

That looks superb Jan. Thumbs-Up

Act as if your only choice is gluing the roof now. Then that is done and you are forced to work around your decision. That way you ensure you make real progress and do not spend too much time thinking. Both choices have their respective pros and cons, so choose one and carry on.

That looks superb Jan. Thumbs-Up

Act as if your only choice is gluing the roof now. Then that is done and you are forced to work around your decision. That way you ensure you make real progress and do not spend too much time thinking. Both choices have their respective pros and cons, so choose one and carry on.
Would that be like selecting the easy low hanging fruit to keep the harvest progressing? Rich

Not at all Rich - more like selecting which HIGH-hanging fruit to go for first. But unless you make an effort to go for one of them, you will end up the whole day just staring at the both of them.
Excellent input. It’s the four dovetail joints that are the bother.

85C0BD88-FBB5-4A9B-8BF3-BCF13864825B.jpeg

The scribed rectangle is for the location of the next structure. The dovetail joints adjacent are the cause of my thinking exercise, “how to cover or fill them in”. Adding to that is the hole movement in the lower right corner, that needs to be “covered/filled”. No matter the method I decide on, there are the stanchion holes and other punch outs that need to be retained.

Jan

Excellent input. It’s the four dovetail joints that are the bother.

View attachment 282531

The scribed rectangle is for the location of the next structure. The dovetail joints adjacent are the cause of my thinking exercise, “how to cover or fill them in”. Adding to that is the hole movement in the lower right corner, that needs to be “covered/filled”. No matter the method I decide on, there are the stanchion holes and other punch outs that need to be retained.

Jan
Once covered on one side can you turn the piece over and use a needle to punch through the still exposed holes on the bottom up through the top covering???
Rich

Once covered on one side can you turn the piece over and use a needle to punch through the still exposed holes on the bottom up through the top covering???
Rich
Indeed that can be done, all the stanchion holes are 1/16 inch squares. The other guide holes are either round or small rectangles. My preference at this point is to as much as I can before mounting the piece. It's the roof of the Boiler deck structure as well as the floor of the Hurricane deck.
Currently I'm having a go at covering the dovetail joints. I purchased a new for me wood filler and want to see if the product is as good as the reviews for it are. We shall see.

25166B26-BD23-4347-92F3-16B29C23626F_1_201_a.jpeg

Jan

Back