Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Wow Jan - based on the pictures that stuff works wonders! I can't see any remains of those joints. What is the name of this product?

Wow Jan - based on the pictures that stuff works wonders! I can't see any remains of those joints. What is the name of this product?
It’s FAMOWOOD Latex Formula, Wood Filler. Manufactured by Eclectic ProduCT’s, Pinevila, LA. The website on the container is FAMOWOOD.Com

Easy application, dries in 30 plus minutes and accepts “most “ water based and oil based stains.

Jan

Bumblers Notebook: “Are we done yet?”

First I’d like to thank all of you for your likes and comments. It’s great to have you looking over my shoulder as the build progresses ever so slowly.

This morning I couldn’t resist doing a “dry fit” of the bits and pieces to get an impression of the their final placement.

0D41C676-DC99-4880-8C3B-BD7DF7DEDD4A.jpeg

I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. There is still a lot more build to work on but it’s great at this stage to see the odd parts and pieces “almost” together.

Jan

These are the situations, where the modeler is starting to smile a little bit
To see and get an impression of the final result - good work my friend

Beware the 'curve' in the roof/deck - either a camera angle effect or something is not level.
HI Paul, that "curve" is mostly distortion from the iPhone camera angle. The deck is not glued to the underlying structure yet. Technically there is a slight down curve from Port to Starboard and a major up curve or sort of swayback from the stem to stern with the center of that being about midships.

E900BBBD-23C9-41D2-AE41-AFB20EA40623_1_201_a.jpeg

There is more of a sweep on the Main deck, but the Boiler deck and Boiler deck roof follow the same line. Hopefully when it's all fit together I've accomplished the "feat" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jan

Looks nice Jan.
Perhaps there is here between the bleu lines a little curve in the deck, what Paul maybe means:
1642619395135.png
But that can be straightened out when placing the uprights of the railing.
The curve in the Texas is also how it looks in the 3D-model.
Almost to the top!
Regards, Peter

Perhaps there is here between the bleu lines a little curve in the deck, what Paul maybe means:
Oops, I can see that now it is pointed out. That area is a little bit of warp in the ply due to the moisture in the wood filler. The center of your blue outline is where the dovetail joints of the four pieces of roof/deck were filled in. The ply is only 1/16 of an inch thick. I’ve gone a little overboard adding support pieces to the top of the Boiler structure so the deck/roof can be fastened and glued. Underneath the deck where the joints meet I’ve glued strips that should help straighten out that little bend. Heinrich says I overthink these things, but I can’t help myself, “once an engineer always and engineer “ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jan

Oops, I can see that now it is pointed out. That area is a little bit of warp in the ply due to the moisture in the wood filler. The center of your blue outline is where the dovetail joints of the four pieces of roof/deck were filled in. The ply is only 1/16 of an inch thick. I’ve gone a little overboard adding support pieces to the top of the Boiler structure so the deck/roof can be fastened and glued. Underneath the deck where the joints meet I’ve glued strips that should help straighten out that little bend. Heinrich says I overthink these things, but I can’t help myself, “once an engineer always and engineer “ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jan
Well, we can shake hands, both overthinking our processen well. :) That’s what we think…..

It’s FAMOWOOD Latex Formula, Wood Filler. Manufactured by Eclectic ProduCT’s, Pinevila, LA. The website on the container is FAMOWOOD.Com

Easy application, dries in 30 plus minutes and accepts “most “ water based and oil based stains.

Jan
Wow, something from little ole Pinevile LA, I spent 14 years in the USAF in city across the Red River from Pinevile.

Thank you for the invitation Jan, but I have 10 days to get the WB to the stage at which the replica currently is. After that the shipyard will be indefinitely closed so I have to use these days - just build, build and some more building.

Thank you for the invitation Jan, but I have 10 days to get the WB to the stage at which the replica currently is. After that the shipyard will be indefinitely closed so I have to use these days - just build, build and some more building.
Wow, lots of coffee to keep your energy constant.

Jan

Back