Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Bumblers Notebook Page 3: The Boiler Deck Structure

The instructions,

“Assemble the bending jig for parts 84 as shown on the plans and let dry. Parts 84 P/S have laser engraved vertical lines forward where a bend is required. Their purpose is so that the basswood will yield at these lines when bent but not break. Because of the variance in hardness of basswood and the settings of the laser machines the engraved lines may or may not be deep enough to allow the wood to yield nicely when bent around the bending jig.”

It took a few passes with a new #11 blade to score the vertical lines enough to allow for the bending of the part in the bending jig. I placed a piece of heavy duty masking tape for backing in that area. (Just in case I got carried away).

View attachment 268738

The bending jg.

The first section came out fine, the second was a little problematic but the backing tape held it all together.

View attachment 268739

The first section.

View attachment 268740

The second section in the bending jig.

The time consuming step is placing the 1/16 inch square Battens. There are a LOT of them.

View attachment 268747

The start of the 1/32 inch square Battens. One per scribed line.

Jan
I used white card stock on the back of the bends and left it there for further support down the line. This worked very well too.

Bumblers Notebook Page 5: The “OOPS” moment

This morning I thought I’d do a dry fit of the Boiler Structure before I started gluing “Battens” again.

I temporarily clamped the Stern and Bow sections of the structure in place on the Boiler deck. As per the instructions I had added 1/8 inch square pieces to the deck to support the bottom edge of the structure. Next I placed the Port side of the structure and noted the fit. Close enough to be used as is. Then the RO-OH moment. The Starboard piece was too long. The forward curved section extended too far towards the bow.

Hmm, it took a moment to figure that out.

E89B9161-7457-4CC5-84A3-58556EAA3436_1_201_a.jpeg

My Bending routine for that piece was one bent section short.

Since I had glued in the the “bend braces” (parts 84A on the plan ) I now had to “CAREFULLY” unglue them. So it’s off to do something different while I mull over my “OOPS” moment.

8B441BA6-E6BF-4BA9-BC63-7FFB3197EA9C_1_201_a.jpeg

Jan

Bumblers Notebook Page 5: The “OOPS” moment

This morning I thought I’d do a dry fit of the Boiler Structure before I started gluing “Battens” again.

I temporarily clamped the Stern and Bow sections of the structure in place on the Boiler deck. As per the instructions I had added 1/8 inch square pieces to the deck to support the bottom edge of the structure. Next I placed the Port side of the structure and noted the fit. Close enough to be used as is. Then the RO-OH moment. The Starboard piece was too long. The forward curved section extended too far towards the bow.

Hmm, it took a moment to figure that out.

View attachment 269234

My Bending routine for that piece was one bent section short.

Since I had glued in the the “bend braces” (parts 84A on the plan ) I now had to “CAREFULLY” unglue them. So it’s off to do something different while I mull over my “OOPS” moment.

View attachment 269233

Jan
Yikes!! Good luck with the disassemble.

Yikes!! Good luck with the disassemble.
I managed to get the pieces apart with very little damage. I think if I had used CA I would have been in real trouble. The Titebond II glued pieces come apart pretty easy with the application of very hot water to the glue joints. So it will be RE-DO time in the morning.

Jan

Bumblers Notebook Page 6: The Boiler Deck

The material I was waiting for arrived and I can continue working on the Boiler deck. The first item on the agenda was placing the Stationaries between the Main deck and Boiler deck. The next step was to place the pre-bent cap strips around the edge of the Boiler deck. That step is temporarily on hold since I plan to re-plank the Boiler deck and needed the deck edges free to properly trim the new planks.

The start:

2D816353-6748-48F4-BE68-44440272B24D.jpeg

Jan

I'm glad the "goodies" arrived and that you can continue. The planking is looking good!

Bumblers Notebook Page 7: The Boiler Deck Planking:

Had a little time yesterday to lay some planks. Took a wee bit of time, between cutting to length , letting glue dry, trimming and sanding the edges, etc.

DC34192A-FE06-428D-B34D-088347288A6E_1_201_a.jpeg

The Port side of the Boiler planked with 1/32 X 1/8 inch Mahogany. The strip where the Stationaries that support the Boiler deck roof will be done once I finish the Boiler deck structure and see how all those pieces fit. Tomorrow I'll tackle the Starboard side.

Jan

A thank you moment:

I want to thank all of you who are following my “bumbling, rambling and mistake prone “ build log. I’m still learning as I build and take great delight when I complete a build step. There are still “RO-OH and DO-OVER” moments and there probably will be a lot more of those, but each one of those adds to the learning curve.

Jan

Last edited:
Bumblers Notebook page 8: Planking the Boiler deck.

Finished planking Boiler Deck. Now I need to square and round edges of the deck before applying the cap rails.

E74A7D12-1D48-436D-9964-7BE3815D22B1.jpeg

BTW: I contrived a new modeling tool. I needed some small footprint weights to hold the planks until the glue set. Filled a half dozen pill holders with coins from the “Swear” jar and ……..

7F5E126F-DF0C-45F1-867E-F7166A92BF14.jpeg
Worked like a charm

Jan

The deck looks wonderful, Jan! And as to weighing down things you can always pretend the coins come from the gambling proceeds onboard. By the way I use a my mobile phone's powerbank for weighing down flat (and sometimes, not so flat) surfaces.

Bumblers Notebook page 8: Planking the Boiler deck.

Finished planking Boiler Deck. Now I need to square and round edges of the deck before applying the cap rails.

View attachment 270753

BTW: I contrived a new modeling tool. I needed some small footprint weights to hold the planks until the glue set. Filled a half dozen pill holders with coins from the “Swear” jar and ……..

View attachment 270754
Worked like a charm

Jan
Haha .... a smart solution. And the ship increased in value ..... :)
Regards, Peter

Back