Cheap Chinese Halcon speed build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks Bruce and shota70. It will look presentable, but it won't have the accuracy or detail of the Artesania Latina Harvey, and I'm not going to replace all the parts that need to be replaced for it to be. I'm going to donate the finished model to a former co-worker when it's done. Remember... it's a $12 kit!

Last edited:
I am most thoroughly impressed. As I've gotten older, my eyes and fingers don't seem to function as accurately as they used to, so to do what you've done on such a small scale is incredible, IMHO. I can't help but wonder what hotel housekeeping thinks of your project? Over time they must see just about everything, but I'm speculating this might indeed be a first for them.

I am most thoroughly impressed. As I've gotten older, my eyes and fingers don't seem to function as accurately as they used to, so to do what you've done on such a small scale is incredible, IMHO. I can't help but wonder what hotel housekeeping thinks of your project? Over time they must see just about everything, but I'm speculating this might indeed be a first for them.
I work very neatly; no sawdust, wood slivers or parts laying around. The whole thing gets put back away in a cardboard box when I'm done with it. Oh, and it helps to be nearsighted.

Last edited:
Compliments Kurt!
Very fine result sofar and this with so little number of tools.
Finished mine a few weeks ago and I saw you almost followed the same order as I did.
For me it was my first real wooden kit... And I had great fun, made me wanting more. Have 2 other Chinese in the stash already.
I will keep on following you.

Compliments Kurt!
Very fine result sofar and this with so little number of tools.
Finished mine a few weeks ago and I saw you almost followed the same order as I did.
For me it was my first real wooden kit... And I had great fun, made me wanting more. Have 2 other Chinese in the stash already.
I will keep on following you.
If that was your first kit, it was a fairly difficult one because of the shortcomings mentioned previously in this build log. A proper kit should be easier to work with.

I'm so glad I stumbled over this thread as I was looking at getting this kit as my first wooden kit, transitioning from plastic kits.

You are doing a terrific job with the limited features of this kit and your insights on what needs to be corrected and how to do it or what needs to be kept under close attention is priceless. Really looking forward to the rest of the build!

Thanks for sharing!

If that was your first kit, it was a fairly difficult one because of the shortcomings mentioned previously in this build log. A proper kit should be easier to work with.
It certainly was not my first modelkit. An almost lifetime experience with cardmodelling, plastic modelling, some balsa planes, and lately lasercut modelling: designing and production. So many basics were already there. Mainly new to me was bending de hullplanking using an hot solderingtool.

Hi, What a nice start! You're turning a $12 kit into a really serious build.

But you have probably agree with me about the plans/instructions . They leave a lot to be desired. Since I’m also building the original Harvey by Artisima Latina, I was able to second-guess some things. One problem with the Chinese kit is dimensioning the masts and spars. I proportioned them from the original. Here are the dimensions (ratio 2.4) that approximate the correct lengths.

Main top mast – 2.9”Main boom – 5.4”
Fore mast – 5.6”Fore yard – 5.0”
Fore top mast – 2.75”Fore topsail yard – 3.75”
Bowsprit – 2.9”Fore top gallant yard – 2.9”
Jib boom – 2.8”Fore gaff – 2.8”

All the “sticks” need to be tapered of course. In the Chinese kit I received, the largest dowel was too big for the masts at the deck line. I will have to begin with the 0.15 diameter dowel for the masts and progress to the smaller dowels as I go up and out.

Hi, What a nice start! You're turning a $12 kit into a really serious build.

But you have probably agree with me about the plans/instructions . They leave a lot to be desired. Since I’m also building the original Harvey by Artisima Latina, I was able to second-guess some things. One problem with the Chinese kit is dimensioning the masts and spars. I proportioned them from the original. Here are the dimensions (ratio 2.4) that approximate the correct lengths.

Main top mast – 2.9”Main boom – 5.4”
Fore mast – 5.6”Fore yard – 5.0”
Fore top mast – 2.75”Fore topsail yard – 3.75”
Bowsprit – 2.9”Fore top gallant yard – 2.9”
Jib boom – 2.8”Fore gaff – 2.8”

All the “sticks” need to be tapered of course. In the Chinese kit I received, the largest dowel was too big for the masts at the deck line. I will have to begin with the 0.15 diameter dowel for the masts and progress to the smaller dowels as I go up and out.
Thanks Martin! My instructions have no mast plan. It's good to have first hand dimensions. You've saved me a lot of research and calculations. Do the mast lengths include the length in the sockets in the false keel below the deck? I noted the large dowel as being too big as well.

Day 9

Before even thinking about adding deck features, the deck needed sealing with clear lacquer. Stain does not do very well with the wood in the kit, but an attempt was made to stain the hull with MinWax gunstock brown. Results were mixed. The color a bit uneven on the white softwood, but I coated it over with clear lacquer and called it good. Because stain is weak in coloring the light softwood, I resorted to an old trick by mixing TruTint dye (mahogany color) in the clear lacquer and coated the railings, ribs on the bulwarks and keel with thin coats of that diluted a bit with denatured alcohol, and that darkened them up well and evened out the finish. A wale needs to be installed where the red-brown meets the whitewood on the sides of the hull.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Stain covered with clear lacquer allowed the laser etched details on the rudder and plank lines to show through the finish.
IMG_1459.jpg

Last edited:
Back