DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

I am still working on the deck planking. All parts with the exception of the waterways / scuppers are now ready to be installed. One of the preliminary tasks were the the reinforced deck parts around the masts and the base for the whipstaff:
1676820792499.jpeg 1676820874377.jpeg

1676820910701.jpeg

And positioned on the model.

1676820935172.jpeg
1676820957247.jpeg

Please bear in mind the middle part of the deck planking is still loose and can now be installed on the deck after which the planking / gratings can be scraped flat. After that the reinforced parts can be installed and then on to the waterways/scuppers.

Last edited:
Excellent work, Herman. That kolderstok looks very authentic and will be a great asset to the overall authenticity of your build.

I am still working on the deck planking. All parts with the exception of the waterways / scuppers are now ready to be installed. One of the preliminary tasks were the the reinforced deck parts around the masts and the base for the whipstaff:
View attachment 358333 View attachment 358335

View attachment 358336

And positioned on the model.

View attachment 358337
View attachment 358338

Please bear in mind the middle part of the deck planking is still loose and can now be installed on the deck after which the planking / gratings can be scraped flat. After that the reinforced parts can be installed and then on to the waterways/scuppers.
That's a beautifully crafted base for thewhipstaff! Thumbsup

As always, your work is very high-level. A pleasure to follow along.
Thank you Paul.
Greatly inspired by you and our dear friends on this forum who exhibit superb building methods and examples that can be combined or "simply" followed.
The simple part is however mostly not as simple as our dear friends can make it look like.

The planking of the deck (maple), with the exception of the waterways/scuppers, has been completed, installed and scraped. The reinforced deck parts (pear) are also completed (not yet glued, but for the sake of giving you an update are positioned on the model together with the gratings).
The parts made from pear now look very similar in color to the maple deck, but will get darker in time.

1677266100305.jpeg

1677266191449.jpeg

1677266137514.jpeg

Next step will be the construction of the waterways/scuppers.

I agree with Paul. Superb what you show us. Hope to see your work in real. Maybe september the scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam?

The maple looks good. I like the color of it. I was looking for planks on the deck on my HZ model because I have to order all at once. I was planning to go for pear or lime wood. But the maple also is an option now.

The planking of the deck (maple), with the exception of the waterways/scuppers, has been completed, installed and scraped. The reinforced deck parts (pear) are also completed (not yet glued, but for the sake of giving you an update are positioned on the model together with the gratings).
The parts made from pear now look very similar in color to the maple deck, but will get darker in time.

View attachment 359263

View attachment 359265

View attachment 359264

Next step will be the construction of the waterways/scuppers.
Wow, it's looks so beautiful :)OkayExclamation-Mark

I agree with Paul. Superb what you show us. Hope to see your work in real. Maybe september the scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam?

The maple looks good. I like the color of it. I was looking for planks on the deck on my HZ model because I have to order all at once. I was planning to go for pear or lime wood. But the maple also is an option now.
Thanks Stephan.

I would like to but I am not yet certain I will be able to attend the exposition in Amsterdam in September. The number of experienced colleagues has dropped again and after a reorganisation we were already struggling and in the meantime learning a new colleague "the ropes". It might well be that September will be my window for vacation.

Eventhough I am happy with my results so far it is in my opinion too early to show my model in real during an exposition. Not much to show yet.

Ps. I don't remember which build log, but I remember a deck made of castello with a very rich and beautiful colour, might even be more beautiful than a standard maple deck, but more costly. Castello is also sold as Brazilian maple.. so maple it is.

Eventhough I am happy with my results so far it is in my opinion too early to show my model in real during an exposition. Not much to show yet.
They want models that are not finished and be in the building phase. That's why I take the HZ with me, I think there is even less to show then yours.
I will have a look for castello. I have a shop in Germany to order, but they only send big orders. That's why I already looking around.

Back