DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

They want models that are not finished and be in the building phase. That's why I take the HZ with me, I think there is even less to show then yours.
I will have a look for castello. I have a shop in Germany to order, but they only send big orders. That's why I already looking around.

I bought my maple in Arnhem (Arnhemse Fijnhouthandel) together with a piece of castello. In post #70 I showed of photo of the two species of wood I bought lying next to each other. I think that might be a good color comparison.

I got a lot of cherry and I could buy more. But I live in an appartement. So making woodstrips could be a little to much noise for my hobby. The shop I found, I will share the link later sels for example cherry strips 2x6 mm x 1 m. For 66 cents. And he got so much to chose from. Even boxwood strips. I think he normally delivers to shops.
But I like the castello too.

Hi Herman,

Great to see a build of the 7 provincien coming up. I will follow with interest.

There is actually a 3rd set of drawings available from the NVM the Dutch modellers association , these are also used at the Batavia yard. So plenty to choose from and all slightly different.

Just for you here already some pictures of GC Diks book model in scale 1:50, which is now in the Dutch transport museum.
View attachment 296780View attachment 296781View attachment 296782View attachment 296783View attachment 296784View attachment 296785View attachment 296786
There are some similarities to the Swedish Vasa.

Great progress Herrmann, very nice and fine woodwork.
Thank you Tobias. After scraping the deck it revealed an even better result than I had honestly hoped for.
One of the nice benefits of a first build is the fact you can be amazed by your own work (this time in the positive sense). Stating that remark, I must humbly admit not all was and will be achieved in 1 attempt.

There are some similarities to the Swedish Vasa.
Swedish Vasa made by a Dutch master shipwright...
As Paul said, the Vasa was largely of Dutch design. A pity she was not stable enough for coping with her height, weight of excess ornamentation and most likely too heavy ordnance placed on the upper deck. On the other hand, we now can admire her in a museum.

Thank you Tobias. After scraping the deck it revealed an even better result than I had honestly hoped for.
One of the nice benefits of a first build is the fact you can be amazed by your own work (this time in the positive sense). Stating that remark, I must humbly admit not all was and will be achieved in 1 attempt.
Hello Herrmann, I know all too well that it doesn't always work the first time, sometimes it takes two or three attempts before we are satisfied with the result.

Just found your log after some time away from SoS. I am enamored of your whipstaff rowle. Is that De Ruyter in your profile picture? Also, this is a scratch build, correct? Just stunning!

The joints as per the drawings of O. Blom do not end on the position of the deckbeams. I therefore have adjusted them slightly so they do.

1677530792559.jpeg 1677530964877.jpeg

The first two joints are done. To get the scarfed joints nicely fit together a first brought to shape one side of the scarf joint. Then the outline of the joint was copied to the opposite plank by means of a knife. To make it more visible the marked line was accentuated by a pencil, after which the excess wood was roughly sawn out by a jigsaw and brought to shape by means of a file and chisel for the corners.

1677531508222.jpeg

The joints as per the drawings of O. Blom do not end on the position of the deckbeams. I therefore have adjusted them slightly so they do.

View attachment 360055 View attachment 360057

The first two joints are done. To get the scarfed joints nicely fit together a first brought to shape one side of the scarf joint. Then the outline of the joint was copied to the opposite plank by means of a knife. To make it more visible the marked line was accentuated by a pencil, after which the excess wood was roughly sawn out by a jigsaw and brought to shape by means of a file and chisel for the corners.

View attachment 360062
Nice and accurate joints, Herman. Small details, but in view on the deck.
Regards, Peter

Back