DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

Very nice work Herman. Are you also coming with her to Amsterdam in September?
Hi Maarten.

Thank you.

I am not sure if I will be in Amsterdam in September (possibly on holiday). I read this day, special for historical wooden shipmodels, is organized by NVM. Isn't participation for members only?
The Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam is a beautiful location to visit, but If you participate/bring you model(s) you have to go by car to Amsterdam Parking:rolleyes: and costs for parking in Amsterdam:eek:.

Hi Maarten.

Thank you.

I am not sure if I will be in Amsterdam in September (possibly on holiday). I read this day, special for historical wooden shipmodels, is organized by NVM. Isn't participation for members only?
The Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam is a beautiful location to visit, but If you participate/bring you model(s) you have to go by car to Amsterdam Parking:rolleyes: and costs for parking in Amsterdam:eek:.
Check out here
Post in thread 'Historical modelship event Amsterdam in september' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...vent-amsterdam-in-september.11616/post-299669
Everybody is welcome

Next will be the nailing of the deck planking.

Mid 17th century there were still enough large trees available, so the planks used for the 7 PROVINCIËN would certainly have been wider than 27,5 cm. Following the book "Historic Shipmodels" by Mondfeld the nailing pattern of planks wider than 27,5 cm would have been:
20230326_160123.jpg

I have chosen to make the nails as per the syringe method. First filing the top of the needle to a v-shape so that it can drill into the wood.
20230326_142633.jpg

Using the drillpress.
20230326_143800.jpg

Separated the drilled part by saw.
20230326_144239.jpg

And harvested my nails.
20230326_150511.jpg

I used a 18G syringe, resulting in nails of about 0,8 / 0,9 mm.
20230326_150428.jpg

The nails can be gently pressed into a drilled hole of 0,8 mm, no need for glue. Later the deck will be covered (I think) in shellac (not sure yet) also securing the nails in place.

The nails are made of the same wood as the deck planking. The fact that the grain of the wood of the nails is opposed to that of the planking will make them stand out, more so if the deck is treated with oil or something similar.

WoW, I am definitely giving it another try. I have tried a few times with no luck. What speed do you maintain while plunging the syringe?
I used almost full speed. Somewhere between 15 to 20.000 rpm.

The nails I made are from maple wood. I also made one unsuccesful attempt with pear wood but I will definitely try that again when I need pear nails.
I also tried a smaller syringe, 22G, but failed with that; it just drilled a hole in the wood. All a new experience, might need some refinement.

Ps After have filed the syringe to the right form I cleared out the inside of the syringe of burrs with a miniature drill (by hand).

I used almost full speed. Somewhere between 15 to 20.000 rpm.

The nails I made are from maple wood. I also made one unsuccesful attempt with pear wood but I will definitely try that again when I need pear nails.
I also tried a smaller syringe, 22G, but failed with that; it just drilled a hole in the wood. All a new experience, might need some refinement.

Ps After have filed the syringe to the right form I cleared out the inside of the syringe of burrs with a miniature drill (by hand).
Thanks, Herman for the detailed explanations. Much appreciated!

Back