DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

It’s a big ship, so the joints will visible on that scale. I l8ke them.
Good morning Ermanno, for this type I understand that the length of the shoe is 5 times the width of the elbow and 3 parts the joints

View attachment 388327
Herman, I like the joints too and don't think they look too large. Like Stephan said there are no rules in Dutch shipbuilding as to the planks used and the formatting of the joints - these were all up to the individual ship carpenters.
Will you also imitate the caulking on all long edges? And how do you want to treat the surface? If the wood is tinted or darkened a bit, the joints will no longer stand out as much.
The size is absolutely fine.
Bela
Thank you all for your likes and advice.
On the model itself it does not stand out as much as on the pictures. I will continue with the scarph joints as before.

@Bela - i will also imitate the caulking on the long edges. I will treat the surface with Clou as done on the lower part of the stern. Maybe I will darken the surface further (eg. Judea bitumen) but the jury is still out on that.

Very impressive planking at the bow Herman. You have adopted what I think is exactly the right approach with this ship. Focus on one thing at a time, do that in the best way that you possibly can and before you know it, the magical mystery which is the 7P will start unfolding. Great work in all.

Very impressive planking at the bow Herman. You have adopted what I think is exactly the right approach with this ship. Focus on one thing at a time, do that in the best way that you possibly can and before you know it, the magical mystery which is the 7P will start unfolding. Great work in all.
Thank you for your kind words Heinrich. This indeed must be the right approach to build such a big ship. Every plank, every gun port, every part of the build I enjoy. If you start to dread how many planks,, gun ports and so on you still have to make to finish your model you are not on the right way to enjoy the building process. I look forward to every time I can make free to construct every single part and hope I will be able to do that for a very long time.

Thank you for your kind words Heinrich. This indeed must be the right approach to build such a big ship. Every plank, every gun port, every part of the build I enjoy. If you start to dread how many planks,, gun ports and so on you still have to make to finish your model you are not on the right way to enjoy the building process. I look forward to every time I can make free to construct every single part and hope I will be able to do that for a very long time.
I admire this approach tremendously. You are well on your way to building an exquisite example of the 7P.

More planks have been bent for the strokes surrounding the gunports of the lower gundeck.

Clamped on the model for drying purposes:
View attachment 388380

Yesterday I put the first planks in the right shape to fit around the gunports. A time consuming job.
View attachment 388387View attachment 388388
Did you bend before adding the cutouts or did you bend with the cutouts in place?
If it's the second option, kudos, to get the bend spread evenly over the length of the plank would not have been easy...

Did you bend before adding the cutouts or did you bend with the cutouts in place?
If it's the second option, kudos, to get the bend spread evenly over the length of the plank would not have been easy...
Hi Johan, I bend the planks before I make the cutouts for the gunports. On the one hand for the reason you already pointed out - to get the bend spread evenly - and on the other hand to mark the place/size of the gunports as precise as possible.
I still accept kudos;)

Some progress on the planking around the gunports of the gundeck ("geschutsoverloop").

20230822_214545_resized resized.jpg20230822_215203_resized.jpg20230822_215241_resized resized.jpg

Next step, further planking up to the position of the galleries. To give an impression of what it will look like in the future I have placed a drawing from the gallery on the model.
This will be followed by planking around the gunports of the higher gundeck (het verdek).

20230822_214842_resized resized.jpg

Very nice Herman! When will the plastic strips be replaced?
Thanks Paul.

The plastic strips will be removed as soon as they are no longer useful, that is, if they are surrounded by planking on both sides.

The last one to be removed will be the upper one after the top of the hull has been provided with clinker planking. I will have to temporary remove it before I start planking around the gunports of the upper gundeck in order to make some recesses in the hull to provide later for struts for the railing.

The wooden wales will be installed when the entire hull is planked/finished and some work on the stern has been done.
I am considering making the wales darker than the surrounding planking prior to assembly. In any case, something for later concern.

Back