DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

Dear Herman. The planking is absolutely beautiful! I know it requires LOTS of patience and is probably an exercise in self-discipline but please do not change anything in your work process. This is shaping up to be one of the best planking jobs I have seen, so just keep your head down and keep on doing what you have been doing so well up to now. I also opted for darker wales on the WB, but instead of using any coloring/ staining to achieve the darker finish, I simply used walnut. That offsets the wales beautifully yet remains subtle enough not to look out of place or overdone!

Dear Herman. The planking is absolutely beautiful! I know it requires LOTS of patience and is probably an exercise in self-discipline but please do not change anything in your work process. This is shaping up to be one of the best planking jobs I have seen, so just keep your head down and keep on doing what you have been doing so well up to now. I also opted for darker wales on the WB, but instead of using any coloring/ staining to achieve the darker finish, I simply used walnut. That offsets the wales beautifully yet remains subtle enough not to look out of place or overdone!
Dear Heinrich. Thank you for expressing your generous appreciation for my planking process. Much appreciated.
Studying the contemporary drawings certainly the 2 lowest wales seem to have been much darker colored than the surrounding planking.
In time I will experiment in how to color those wales. Ammonia or even a solution of steelwool and vinegar in combi with dark tea that should really give a dark color to pear (wisdom gained by reading findings on this helpful and inspiring forum).

I like this idea / method with the guiding strips very much - I am pretty sure -> very useful
They really are. During this stage of planking I first install the upper and lower strokes tightly agaist the guiding strips and then fill up the middle stroke. I have made the width of the planks just a bit oversized to be able to compensate for the curvature of the hull and make them fit as tight as possible.

Last edited:
@Herman

Hi,
this is an absolutely precise job. Also admirable is the hull, which provides a perfect base for neat planking.
I will do the same for the next project.
Dear Johann, thank you. That means a lot coming from you.
The sturdy hull is indeed a good base for planking. No need yet to handle with caution as it can still take a beating ;).
Quite a bit of pressure can be applied during the planking process with post elastics and blocks. Number of elastics and size of blocks regulate the amount of pressure applied without having to worry to overdo it.
Constructing a hull this way certainly has that advantage, but the blocks I used to fill up the bulkheads could have been made thinner reducing the strength of the working of the wood itself. Since I have taken her inside humidity is far less an issue and I have not encountered a problem any more.

I have completed the outer planking around the gunports of the upper gundeck (verdek). Almost one month passed since my last post here but I didn't want to bore you all with each plank shaped, scarphed and fitted to the model. A slow and laborious job.View attachment 396214View attachment 396215View attachment 396216View attachment 396217View attachment 396218View attachment 396221View attachment 396225
Hi Herman. Those planks and outcuts around the gunports are looking very nice.
And that last picture …….. just WOW.
Regard, Peter

Back