DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

Keeping in mind the original construction would have been something like :
1654081691901.jpeg
After planking all that will be in sight would look like this:
1654082021659.jpeg
To get this result I chamfered the underparts of the gunports:
1654082223417.jpeg

To keep all gunports the same size (on the same deck) a piece of wood was made into a simple checking tool:
1654082573515.jpeg

Resulting in gunports looking like:

1654082711638.jpeg

Very nice work Herman,reminisent of the work of Drazen Caric and Mille Beljic.Are you going to predefine you Wale positions with temporary plastic battens?I copied this idea off Drazen on my Caroline build and it works really well.The Raboesch ABS strip is good for this ,it comes in numerous widths and 1metre lengths making it easy to "play" with till you get a nice sweeping run.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very nice work Herman,reminisent of the work of Drazen Caric and Mille Beljic.Are you going to predefine you Wale positions with temporary plastic battens?I copied this idea off Drazen on my Caroline build and it works really well.The Raboesch ABS strip is good for this ,it comes in numerous widths and 1metre lengths making it easy to "play" with till you get a nice sweeping run.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thank you Nigel.

Most of my work methods I copy from the build log of Drazen. A very good tutor. I hope he comes back on line in the future so I can thank him. But this was also the reason i was hesitant to start a build log myself as it feels a bit like plagiarism. Introducing myself on this forum and the request to start a log helped me over that threshold. I now like to look at it as a "group build", helping each other (in this case very unilateral:confused: support). I am on a steep learning curve as it is my first model so every step of the way I am searching for the right tools, resources, suppliers, building methods and even most of the vocabulary.

But back to your question, I will certainly use temporary plastic wales. I saw his method also copied to the Dutch modelbouwforum. I really like that method and look forward to it.
I have found a supplier and made a list of the required sizes and quantities of the plastic strips but still have to order them.

But first I will plank the deck and the stern and more preliminary tasks before the planking. That will keep me busy for a while.

Thank you Nigel.

Most of my work methods I copy from the build log of Drazen. A very good tutor. I hope he comes back on line in the future so I can thank him. But this was also the reason i was hesitant to start a build log myself as it feels a bit like plagiarism. Introducing myself on this forum and the request to start a log helped me over that threshold. I now like to look at it as a "group build", helping each other (in this case very unilateral:confused: support). I am on a steep learning curve as it is my first model so every step of the way I am searching for the right tools, resources, suppliers, building methods and even most of the vocabulary.

But back to your question, I will certainly use temporary plastic wales. I saw his method also copied to the Dutch modelbouwforum. I really like that method and look forward to it.
I have found a supplier and made a list of the required sizes and quantities of the plastic strips but still have to order them.

But first I will plank the deck and the stern and more preliminary tasks before the planking. That will keep me busy for a while.
I shake my head in amazement that this is your first scratch model. You certainly have the eye for a fair line! I realize you are “past” it, but never worry about emulating good practice like Drazen’s work. You have made it eminently clear that you are also an admirer of what he does.

This is going to be a fabulous model!

We have been, together with 2 of my daughters, on a weekend trip to Bremen. Pity to say three of us, including me and my wife, caught the corona virus and had to stay in quarantine for a few days last week. Luckily it turned out to be no more than a mild case of flu but it leaves you a bit limp and lifeless for a few days. Tomorrow I resume work again.
So today with some new found energy I started to make the big knight for the main mast. Although it will be covered by 2 decks and you might only be able to catch a glimpse through the gratings it was good practice to get acquainted with the Proxxon drill press / cross table. The Proxxon milling machine MF70 would have been preferable, but who knows what the future brings.

1655727931269.jpeg1655727985457.jpeg

Hi Maarten.
I did not visit Baptist, had a family dinner later that day and before I realised it I had spent quite some time looking around in the wood shop. But the separate visit to the wood shop was totally worth it.
Have to visit Baptist an other time.

We have been, together with 2 of my daughters, on a weekend trip to Bremen. Pity to say three of us, including me and my wife, caught the corona virus and had to stay in quarantine for a few days last week. Luckily it turned out to be no more than a mild case of flu but it leaves you a bit limp and lifeless for a few days. Tomorrow I resume work again.
So today with some new found energy I started to make the big knight for the main mast. Although it will be covered by 2 decks and you might only be able to catch a glimpse through the gratings it was good practice to get acquainted with the Proxxon drill press / cross table. The Proxxon milling machine MF70 would have been preferable, but who knows what the future brings.

View attachment 314872View attachment 314873
Fantastic work Herrmann. It’s very beautiful.

View attachment 314872View attachment 314873
Nice and fine work, Herman. Although it’s almost invisible, you know it’s there!
Hopefully you got your energy back again.
Regards, Peter

Before planking of the deck can start also the stairs had to be constructed between the two gundecks.
Dimensions were drawn on a piece of scrap wood. Sided of the stairs were partially glued on a intermediate piece of paper, to be able to easily remove them later. I then made grooves in the wood for inserting the steps. As I did not have the correct milling part I made a double pass with a 1mm drillbit (could be cleaner, but as only the top of stairs can be seen later on it is for me acceptable and has been a good dry run for future stairs that will be more visible on the model).
1656149527360.jpeg1656149590016.jpeg
1656149635250.jpeg

I then attached and glued the individual steps in the ladder.
1656149908960.jpeg1656149959283.jpeg
After cleaning up a bit:
1656150047402.jpeg

Back