DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

It is looking very clean and accurate - now the gunports of the other side has to follow

And of course the gunports on the other side.

I was already in possession of a nice stock of pear wood from an acquaintance who had a pear tree trunk sawn years ago for him. I have it stored inside now for about 2 years.
At that time I had also picked up a Proxxon Fret saw and disc sander with which I have made nice pear gunports.

1648067605338.jpeg

a pear 1648067721807.jpeg1648067698424.jpeg1648067755679.jpeg

As a preparatory job before the planking of the deck could start, markings were drawn where the openings for the gratings/stair and masts would have to be made. Before closure of the hull with wooden blocks markings were already made in the center plywood (indents, so that these marking would not be lost during the sanding process) in line with the cut-outs (for the masts and bowsprit). That made it possible to drill through the deck right into those cut-outs.
After drilling the holes for the masts I checked the alignment of the masts when they were placed in the mast-bases (already in place in the hull).

1648220080961.jpeg
1648220203196.jpeg
1648220298198.jpeg
1648220357030.jpeg

You are now up to date to present time and future building will be done in the hobby room I have recently furnished.
I will post a picture of the room where the "magic";) will happen, including my stock of pear wood. At the moment I am searching for some maple wood for the decks and hope to find some boxwood for the ornaments.

1648326198659.jpeg

1648326239652.jpeg

Today I had a change of mind. Although the idea is to leave the lower gun ports closed to give an optimal view of the lines of the ship I have decided to install gun ports and paint the background black (maybe open up one or two but not sure yet). Maybe not much of it will show on the finished model but I suspect it will lighten the delicate process of planking the hull.

1648329048012.jpeg
1648329090109.jpeg

As I said before still searching for maple for the decks. But before planking the deck can start I still have some preliminary work to do as constructing a stair to the lower gun deck and also the servant for the main mast.

Thank you for watching.

Hi Maarten

I can't seem to find it in my close environment so ordering via internet will be the solution. Thank you for drawing my attention to this webshop.

Thanks Maarten

I live in Spijkenisse, in the Rotterdam area, so both 'Fijnhouthandels" are an option. Mid April I have a few days off and might pay one of them a visit, otherwise I will order from Dictum. For now I am working on the gunports and before actual planking the deck will start I still have to make stairs and a servant. So mid April will be well on time.

I know that the Arnhemse Fijhouthandel also react to orders just asked them and explain what you want. On their facebook they mentioning this to order from their houtzolder and sent a message.

Thanks Maarten

I live in Spijkenisse, in the Rotterdam area, so both 'Fijnhouthandels" are an option. Mid April I have a few days off and might pay one of them a visit, otherwise I will order from Dictum. For now I am working on the gunports and before actual planking the deck will start I still have to make stairs and a servant. So mid April will be well on time.
I lived in Capelle for 8 years but don t know a specialty shop in the Rotterdam area. If you go to Arnhem I would certainly recommend to also visit Baptist, the candy store for every woodworker.

I lived in Capelle for 8 years but don t know a specialty shop in the Rotterdam area. If you go to Arnhem I would certainly recommend to also visit Baptist, the candy store for every woodworker.
Yes, Baptist is well known. Years ago I ordered a fine set of chisels from them, but I've never actually been in the store.

Hi Herman.
Besides the likes (and sitting on the 1st row) I hadn't reacted much to your build yet. But I enjoy your way of building 'out of the box'. And finding creative ways to approach it. Scratch building from drawings is still the most satisfying. I experienced that with my Lee. It is therefore no problem if the construction is a multi-year project. Sometimes you don't even realize that another year has passed.
By the way, that’s is a nice batch of pear wood drying under your roof boarding.
Regards, Peter

Back