Duyfken 1/50 scale - Kolderstock

Hi Jan,
I'd love to learn how that cutting tool holds up over time. I looked at it once.
On my 1:65 Vasa the gun ports were 10x10 with a liner then added to the porthole. Not sure if that is helpful but...
Hi Paul,

The tool seems to work quite well. NWSL also sells replacement parts for the tool, so I would think that would be a plus if you're considering one. There are similar models available from other vendors. NWSL also has one (Chopper II) that is more versatile than the model I bought.

The Duyfken plans show 11 X 11 mm gun port doors with 10 X 10mm liners for the Bulwarks. I put some dummy 11 X 11mm doors on the stern frame and came up with the AHA moment. So I went to the source to find an answer.

Jan

Hi Paul,

The tool seems to work quite well. NWSL also sells replacement parts for the tool, so I would think that would be a plus if you're considering one. There are similar models available from other vendors. NWSL also has one (Chopper II) that is more versatile than the model I bought.

The Duyfken plans show 11 X 11 mm gun port doors with 10 X 10mm liners for the Bulwarks. I put some dummy 11 X 11mm doors on the stern frame and came up with the AHA moment. So I went to the source to find an answer.

Jan
That certainly makes sense at 1:50 scale. I thought about the doors as a possible solution after I sent the note... Enjoying your build!

:)

It is not earlier then in #59 where you have to add the gun ports in the stern.
And no dimensions...
Hi Hans,

Yup, you're right. I sort of skipped ahead to step #59. I've read and reread and read and reread your build manual. I got a little ahead on #2 since I couldn't finish number one's step of fairing the hull. I need a warm day so I can do that outside, right now were having snow flurries and its just above 32F/0C. To keep the build going I've been working on the small pieces.

Another question, do those doors recess into frame or sit on the outside? On page 30 it looks like they cover the planking.

Jan

I can certainly use a tool like that. It would have made the bracing on the bulwarks SO much easier. Ah well ... maybe on the 7P.
Hi Heinrich,

The tool was a great help. I was having a hard time using a drawing compass to outline the angles on pieces of 1 x 3mm and 1 x 4mm and then cutting the angle.

Ehh - I had to measure them myself too, as this is something which is not complete clear in the instructions :(

They are a little bit smaller than the ones in the bulwarks, 8 x 8 mm or evt. 9 x 9 mm
Hi Hans,

For comparison I placed 8 X 8 mm pieces on the drawing and part #13. It looks like 9 X 9mm would also work.

9854F0E2-C700-4E89-888F-13046564A6C6.jpeg

Jan

Suggestion:

Untitled.jpg

The Spiegel would look great with door sills, frames and veranda. Many Dutch builders do this and it gives an amazing feeling to depth to the stern.

Gunports: Horizontal measurement: 10mm / Vertical 11 mm. That is what I used on the Haarlem.

Thank you Heinrich and Chris, excellent suggestions.

@ Heinrich, I'll check out the Dutch website to see what they have done. On your Haarlem did do the whole nine yards, ie. cannons and gun port doors??

Jan

Hi Heinrich,

I found what you did on your build. Your Batavia post #181 shows the cannons in the stern. Wow I'd like to do that, alas I lack the skills to pull that one off. There isn't much room to work with and I don't fancy carving a 10 X 10mm hole through the frame as well as adding a platform for a dummy cannon.

DFAF64FA-E640-459B-9F7D-10417ABB98E6_1_201_a.jpeg

Jan

Hi Heinrich,

I found what you did on your build. Your Batavia post #181 shows the cannons in the stern. Wow I'd like to do that, alas I lack the skills to pull that one off. There isn't much room to work with and I don't fancy carving a 10 X 10mm hole through the frame as well as adding a platform for a dummy cannon.

View attachment 205614

Jan
I think changes like that need to be done as you build, not at the point you are at. Bashing kits is a specialty that I hope to be able to try in my Fly build. So many ideas...so little skills. :eek: ROTF

Hi Jan

Please forgive the dust (I'm working on her) but that is what the Haarlem's stern looks like at the moment with the gun ports and cannons.

微信图片_20210115092123.jpg

By the way - did you order the Duyfken with the cannons?

Hi Jan

Please forgive the dust (I'm working on her) but that is what the Haarlem's stern looks like at the moment with the gun ports and cannons.

View attachment 205659

By the way - did you order the Duyfken with the cannons?
Hi Heinrich,

Thank you for the photo. I like the look of the cannons peeking out. I ordered the Duyfken with four cannons, but I'm toying with the idea of ordering four more to have four on a side on the main deck. I was waiting to complete the planking and then outlining all the gun ports to see how I liked the look.. I'm waiting for a good day outside to fair the hull. I have to do that type of work outdoors with a mask, Doctors and Admiral's orders. An over abundance of dust isn't good for medical reasons.

Jan

The aft 'gunports' are mostly not used for cannons, they are openings for getting the supplies into the hull. AFAIK there was no cannon in Duyfken's rear ports either.
János
Hi Janos,

Thank you for that piece of information. I’m learning all sorts of interesting bits as I bumble my way along.

Jan

Very interesting what one can find while searching for other things. I did a Google Image on the Duyfken.

More pictures of the interior stern area. A jumble of ropes and tackle.

F1A727A2-5B4B-4439-A26B-59FB4E6C8987.jpeg

I think the picture below must have been taken after the cleanup of the above party.

DCDC2A3D-6804-4DEA-86C8-A07BB6BB9468.jpeg

Jan

I guess with those guns you need to be careful not to blow a hole through your rudder. :eek:
I know that the average height in the 1600-1700 hundreds wasn't as tall as the current average, but it must have been a tight squeeze for the gun crews back then.

Jan

Normally there weren't any canons in the stern. The ports where carved and functional, but only used for canons as the ship was chased by an enemy. In such a case one or two canons from the sides were rolled to the back and fired to give the chasing ship a warning ( if necessary) that the "prey" was armed.

Hans

Back