New kit Galleon "San Bartolome - 2"

I simply love this model and build myself, but is there any concern about building what has been called a "fantasy" ship? I can't fit the 1/48 scale version, but the smaller 1/64 scale version out later this year is certainly appealing. I'm trying to decide between the MarisStella Ragusian Carrack (possibly more authentic?) or this model (possibly more fantasy than accuracy?). I'm not attacking this model, I do really love it. And I'm not sure I (and others viewing my model at home) would be able to tell the difference in accuracy. But I just love all the details and "do-dads" included with this ship model. What a decision!
I guess that’s a matter of personal interest. Do you want to go “bug nuts” over historical accuracy or do you want something that appeals to you?
That’s the great thing about this hobby. There is something for everyone.
I personally don’t build something for someone else’s gratification, but build for me. I respect others opinions and interests but what sits on my shelf is what appeals to me.
To me there is no right or wrong answer to your question. Enjoy the hobby.

:D:D Subterfuge is the answer. I saved one of Pavel’s pictures of the ship and put it on my Admiral’s iPad as a “Desktop”. When questioned “What is this?”, my answer was “ Christmas present”. :D
This is just a real military trick))), but the trouble is, all our female companions, in this matter, are usually more cunning than us (

I simply love this model and build myself, but is there any concern about building what has been called a "fantasy" ship? I can't fit the 1/48 scale version, but the smaller 1/64 scale version out later this year is certainly appealing. I'm trying to decide between the MarisStella Ragusian Carrack (possibly more authentic?) or this model (possibly more fantasy than accuracy?). I'm not attacking this model, I do really love it. And I'm not sure I (and others viewing my model at home) would be able to tell the difference in accuracy. But I just love all the details and "do-dads" included with this ship model. What a decision!
Why not get both!!

Last edited:
I simply love this model and build myself, but is there any concern about building what has been called a "fantasy" ship? I can't fit the 1/48 scale version, but the smaller 1/64 scale version out later this year is certainly appealing. I'm trying to decide between the MarisStella Ragusian Carrack (possibly more authentic?) or this model (possibly more fantasy than accuracy?). I'm not attacking this model, I do really love it. And I'm not sure I (and others viewing my model at home) would be able to tell the difference in accuracy. But I just love all
I propose to wait for the 1:64 option. He's not far at all. Everything that was problematic in the 1:64 set has already been worked out in production.

photo_2022-07-28_01-47-03.jpg

Speaking of the tutorial videos Pavel has on YouTube, the video on laying the stern deck planks clearly shows at 9:06 the plank details for treenails and plank ends, but some of those planks have these details mis-aligned with the planks:

1658978812675.png

That would seem unusual, because I would have thought that the details would be laser burned in at the same time, and with the same layout, as the planks themselves. That is a concern, though, because it might be difficult to reverse the planks to eliminate the problem and have them still fit. And then possibly not match the rest.

Also, the vast majority of the model (frames, but also planking, details, etc.) appear to be in a light colored wood, as shown above. You mentioned you use alder, beech and walnut, but unlike some ships, your finish applied (an excellent video posted here as well), shows a stain sprayed over the entirety of the model, which is then sanded, buffed or highlighted with other solutions, to give your trademark appearance. This would indicate that most of the model has its color determined by the finish, rather than by the wood species. So while the finished model gives the appearance of a dark antique walnut wood, that is really an applied finish and not the wood itself. Is that correct? What parts would be made of walnut (the only darker wood of those listed) on this model? I am not sure I would be able to be artist enough to do a finish such as yours, while I am comfortable applying oil to a darker wood.

Why not get both!! I did. ROTFROTF. I'm going to build ZHL Mayflower next. Then one of these two.
A couple reasons I can't. The main one is I only have one location for such a model, in my den, in a bookcase, if I remove a shelf and lower another shelf. I can then place plexiglass in front of it. That is the ONLY place in my house that I have room (and that my wife will let me use - my den can have as many models as I can fit, but the rest of the house cannot).

The other reason is that I'm 79, and have more and more difficulty seeing and working with my hands, and to be honest, I'm not sure I will ever get to finish either model (although I am still working on some smaller cannon models and such). I've never planked a hull, and rigging is not my strong suit. So I won't be surprised if I never finish the kit, but am confident I will enjoy building it as long as I am able. And God willing, I WILL finish it one day. But to even consider a second, similar model is out of the question for me.

Speaking of the tutorial videos Pavel has on YouTube, the video on laying the stern deck planks clearly shows at 9:06 the plank details for treenails and plank ends, but some of those planks have these details mis-aligned with the planks:

View attachment 320522

That would seem unusual, because I would have thought that the details would be laser burned in at the same time, and with the same layout, as the planks themselves. That is a concern, though, because it might be difficult to reverse the planks to eliminate the problem and have them still fit. And then possibly not match the rest.

Also, the vast majority of the model (frames, but also planking, details, etc.) appear to be in a light colored wood, as shown above. You mentioned you use alder, beech and walnut, but unlike some ships, your finish applied (an excellent video posted here as well), shows a stain sprayed over the entirety of the model, which is then sanded, buffed or highlighted with other solutions, to give your trademark appearance. This would indicate that most of the model has its color determined by the finish, rather than by the wood species. So while the finished model gives the appearance of a dark antique walnut wood, that is really an applied finish and not the wood itself. Is that correct? What parts would be made of walnut (the only darker wood of those listed) on this model? I am not sure I would be able to be artist enough to do a finish such as yours, while I am comfortable applying oil to a darker wood.
The problem of not matching the engraving applied to the deck boards did exist on the first batches of this set. It has already been resolved and will not be in the future. You are right, the boards can be turned over, they are symmetrical about the axis of the model. According to the composition of the wood from which the set is assembled. Walnut is used in a very small number of parts, most of them are alder and beech. There is absolutely nothing complicated in painting the model. The main thing is not to use brushes for this. Everything needs to be done only with an airbrush or a pulverizer. This method is used when painting plastic models and is incredibly widespread among modellers. All the chemistry necessary for painting is collected in a separate set, and also offered in our store.

I visited again the site. I did a better job now looking carefully what you are offering and found the stain set. It is great that you are offering the stains/oils.

I have questions.

I understood that the "San Bartolome-2" is an improved version of the "San Bartolome"... is that correct ?

If that is correct, on your online shop I see the "San Bartolome
" but not the "San Bartolome-2". What am I doing wrong ?

Please, clarify this for me.

Thank you !!!
Daniel

PS: this is the link to the "San Bartolome" here at SOS

Thread 'Model Kit "San Bartolomeo"' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/model-kit-san-bartolomeo.3470/

Last edited:
I visited again the site. I did a better job now looking carefully what you are offering and found the stain set. It is great that you are offering the stains/oils.

I have questions.

I understood that the "San Bartolome-2" is an improved version of the "San Bartolome"... is that correct ?

Thank you !!!
Daniel

Thread 'Model Kit "San Bartolomeo"' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/model-kit-san-bartolomeo.3470/
I believe that the San bartolome version you see on the website now would be the San bartolome 2. I know that pavel has said they have made many improvements on version 1

Pavel, do you meant that you sell the paints/stains for the model ?

I missed That when visiting your site. I will check again.

Daniel
Yes, of course, I have specially collected all the necessary compositions that have already been selected according to the color scheme. I added to this the special sanding skin necessary for all processes with the desired grain size. And all this makes up a separate set, here is a link to it in the store: http://shipsofpavelnikitin.com/details?id=45

I have questions.

Thank you !!!
Daniel

"Bartolome" differs from "Bartolome-2" so much that it's not even convenient to compare them. Only the number of parts has grown by about 12 times. And is about 4500 pieces. Since the "Bartolome" set has not been produced for a year now and we no longer have it in stock, we decided not to use the number 2 for the set anymore. That is why there is still some confusion.

Pavel I am still somewhat confused. I asked Denis a couple times but still don't fully understand. I ordered the Bartolome ship and Bartolome-2 Sails, Stand, Paint and Slipway. I hope these are all for the same kit.

Pavel I am still somewhat confused. I asked Denis a couple times but still don't fully understand. I ordered the Bartolome ship and Bartolome-2 Sails, Stand, Paint and Slipway. I hope these are all for the same kit.
I'll try to clarify)
You can only order the "Bartolome" set. It is also called "Bartolome-2" and all because we have not been producing the first version of this ship for a year now. So it's all the same ship. Therefore, there will be no confusion.
Next comes the slipway on which the ship itself is assembled.
And a stand for this ship.
Also in the order there are sewn sails, and a set of dyes and oils for coating the finished ship.
I will attach a photo of all the items listed.
All together it takes six boxes and has a total weight of about 20 kilograms.
I hope I was able to answer your questions)

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

P1310826.jpg

P1320064.jpg

P1290313.jpg

P1290300.jpg

16.jpg

ХИМИЯ НАБОР.jpg

I'll try to clarify)
You can only order the "Bartolome" set. It is also called "Bartolome-2" and all because we have not been producing the first version of this ship for a year now. So it's all the same ship. Therefore, there will be no confusion.
Next comes the slipway on which the ship itself is assembled.
And a stand for this ship.
Also in the order there are sewn sails, and a set of dyes and oils for coating the finished ship.
I will attach a photo of all the items listed.
All together it takes six boxes and has a total weight of about 20 kilograms.
I hope I was able to answer your questions)

View attachment 320614

View attachment 320615

View attachment 320616

View attachment 320617

View attachment 320618

View attachment 320619

View attachment 320620

View attachment 320622

View attachment 320623

View attachment 320624

View attachment 320625
Yikes, that is a very comprehensive package. Well done Pavel !!

OK THE SHALLOP WILL BE ORDERED IN 2 WEEKS, TO SIGNET, I AM 84 WHEEL CHAIR BOUND FOR 2 YEARS NORMAL AGEING PROBLEMS BUT THROUGH JESUES CHRIST MY SAVIOUR I AM HERE. I RECENTLY LOST MY WONDERFUL LIVE IN CARE GIVER AS SHE IS GOING BACK HOME WHERE ALL HER FAMILY IS, GOOD JOYRNEY RITA. SO THAT LEAVES ME MY DAUGHTER,SON, DAUGHTER-IN-LAW, SAID MY BEST OPTION WAS ASSISTED LIVING. WELL THE OLD HACKELS BRISTELED,MY CONSTRUCTION LANGUAGE, KICKED IN, FINALLY MY DAUGHTER TOOK HER STAND AS USUAL AND IF I WANTED TO CONTINUE EATING I HAD BETTER GO WITH HER. WELL I DID AND I WAS COMPLETLY SUPRISED, THE STUDIO DELUXE IS VERY, VERY SPACIOUS, I CAN FIT ALL MY WORK TABLES IN, ALL POWER TOOLS, BAND SAW, THICKNESS SANDER (2), ALL MY OTHER STUFF ALONG WITH ALL MY TIMBER STASH, TO KEEP IT SHORT 2 DINING ROOMS, ONE OPEN TO 11:00 P.M., SHOPPING TWICE A WEEK, RESTRAUNT ONCE A MONTH, AND BEST OF ALL MOSES (MY WARRIOR CAT)IS ALSO A RESIDENT,. I MOVE IN ON SATURDAY. SO SIGNET IF YOU WANT PLEASE P.M. ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

OK THE SHALLOP WILL BE ORDERED IN 2 WEEKS, TO SIGNET, I AM 84 WHEEL CHAIR BOUND FOR 2 YEARS NORMAL AGEING PROBLEMS BUT THROUGH JESUES CHRIST MY SAVIOUR I AM HERE. I RECENTLY LOST MY WONDERFUL LIVE IN CARE GIVER AS SHE IS GOING BACK HOME WHERE ALL HER FAMILY IS, GOOD JOYRNEY RITA. SO THAT LEAVES ME MY DAUGHTER,SON, DAUGHTER-IN-LAW, SAID MY BEST OPTION WAS ASSISTED LIVING. WELL THE OLD HACKELS BRISTELED,MY CONSTRUCTION LANGUAGE, KICKED IN, FINALLY MY DAUGHTER TOOK HER STAND AS USUAL AND IF I WANTED TO CONTINUE EATING I HAD BETTER GO WITH HER. WELL I DID AND I WAS COMPLETLY SUPRISED, THE STUDIO DELUXE IS VERY, VERY SPACIOUS, I CAN FIT ALL MY WORK TABLES IN, ALL POWER TOOLS, BAND SAW, THICKNESS SANDER (2), ALL MY OTHER STUFF ALONG WITH ALL MY TIMBER STASH, TO KEEP IT SHORT 2 DINING ROOMS, ONE OPEN TO 11:00 P.M., SHOPPING TWICE A WEEK, RESTRAUNT ONCE A MONTH, AND BEST OF ALL MOSES (MY WARRIOR CAT)IS ALSO A RESIDENT,. I MOVE IN ON SATURDAY. SO SIGNET IF YOU WANT PLEASE P.M. ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Best wishes for your new “digs” Don
As a side note I just pulled the trigger on Pavel’s Shallop myself. :)

Back