H.M.S. Surprise by Artesania Latina - Build log

I've found that I am faster with a cursor control device than an X-Acto knife. The cockpit railings have taken me longer than my work on the figurehead. Shrug.

JCKP2264.jpg JCKP2278.jpg
JCKP2284.jpg JCKP2288.jpg

JCKP2299-2.jpg JCKP2303.jpg

Still enjoying the build after discovering that I was often in error while following the kit instructions. Still glad that I stained the wood;
rather than paint it - and I like the grain (filler free), but sorry that I didn't know the correct planking method for the bow and stern profiles.

If this is your first ship model, and if you truly feel, after honing your skills building it, that it is so terribly below your standards.... then make it a fire ship.
I'm not sure what a fire ship is, but I fly water bombers and they look different from this. It's not that I feel my build is below standard, it's that I am learning things that I did not know beforehand. If I work up the courage to build another ship, then I know that I will not repeat the errors that I have made on this one. I'll probably make new ones :D

I've found that I am faster with a cursor control device than an X-Acto knife. The cockpit railings have taken me longer than my work on the figurehead. Shrug.

View attachment 459195 View attachment 459196
View attachment 459197 View attachment 459198

View attachment 459199 View attachment 459200

Still enjoying the build after discovering that I was often in error while following the kit instructions. Still glad that I stained the wood;
rather than paint it - and I like the grain (filler free), but sorry that I didn't know the correct planking method for the bow and stern profiles.
Good morning Reg. This is a brilliant model. I enjoy all the detail you have added and the accuracy corrections you made to the kit. Are you sure this is your first model ship ;) ? Seriously tho-great modelling. Cheers Grant

I'm not sure what a fire ship is, but I fly water bombers and they look different from this. It's not that I feel my build is below standard, it's that I am learning things that I did not know beforehand. If I work up the courage to build another ship, then I know that I will not repeat the errors that I have made on this one. I'll probably make new ones :D
1721018226837.png
A fire ship or fireship is a large wooden vessel set on fire to be used against enemy ships during a ramming attack or similar maneuver. Fireships were used to great effect against wooden ships throughout naval military history up until the advent of metal-hulled ships; they could also serve a considerable function in shock and awe strategies to harm the morale of enemy crews. Ships used for fireship tactics were sometimes surplus, obsolete or purpose-build vessels filled with gunpowder or other combustibles, but could also be improvised from active warships purposefully set on fire during engagements, such as if a vessel expended its munitions or had some other reason to be abandoned in battle.

... hence the joke.

Beautiful !!! and astounding for a first build !
Thank you for the kind words Jeff. I have built many RC aircraft over the years and learned very early that if the build is not straight and true the plane will not fly. Managed to acquire some tools over the nearly 60 years as well. But I will need to purchase a few more for ship building.

Last edited:
Good morning Reg. This is a brilliant model. I enjoy all the detail you have added and the accuracy corrections you made to the kit. Are you sure this is your first model ship ;) ? Seriously tho-great modelling. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant, yes this is clearly my first ship build. I've learned a lot of things and have appreciated reading many of the other build logs here - which has been a big help. Thank you for your kind assessment of my progress!

Thank you for the kind words Jeff. I have built many RC aircraft over the years and learned very early that if the build is not straight and true the plane will not fly. Managed to acquire some tools over the nearly 60 years as well. But I will need to purchase a few more for ship building.
Not sure if you saw it in another post, but here is a picture of my scratch built Ziroli Zeke. :)
Zeke.jpeg

Back