H.M.S. Surprise by Artesania Latina - Build log

My job duties have kept me away from my build for too long. But a quick update here. I was about to spray the transparent orange stain when I decided to do a test on some scrap linden that was left over. The result was too yellow for me. So I adjusted the masking tapes and darkened the longitudinal rubbing strakes that are directly above and below the canon ports - and left the remainder unpainted. The only items I expect to paint from here to completion will be small decorations.

HullPaint-2.png

As you can see in the photo above, the cockpit metal rail was removed. That rail and stanchions were looking sad, scratched and dull. I needed to find a way to polish the brass rail and stanchions. Could not find any suggestions here, so I did it "my way". The rail was relatively simple to polish by rubbing it with a clean cloth after repeating the blackening process. The stanchions needed more effort, till I came up with my lazy-man method:

StanchionProg-1.png

In my research I found two things that I need to consider:

1. Ships of this vintage did not have metal rails around the cockpit. As this is my first ship, I decided to follow the A.L. plans with this.

2. Hexagonal (head) bolts were not invented till 1830 and not widely available till 1880. So I'll need to make some square head bolts.

The set-up I used for reattaching the cockpit railings, as I hate glue getting on my finished mouldings:
MetalRailMask.png

Now waiting for the adhesive to set before removing the stanchion separation masking.
Rails&Mask.png

Working on the stern lantern with the electrical (candle) system. According to A.L. I'm supposed to mount this shortly. However, as it is a delicate piece, I'll wait till the chainplates are installed before I permanently attach it. I will use the kit provided lanterns for the tops, but this one will be fitted in the stern.
LampBuild.png

Last edited:
As you can see in the photo above, the cockpit metal rail was removed. That rail and stanchions were looking sad, scratched and dull. I needed to find a way to polish the brass rail and stanchions. Could not find any suggestions here, so I did it "my way". The rail was relatively simple to polish by rubbing it with a clean cloth after repeating the blackening process. The stanchions needed more effort, till I came up with my lazy-man method:

View attachment 469148

In my research I found two things that I need to consider:

1. Ships of this vintage did not have metal rails around the cockpit. As this is my first ship, I decided to follow the A.L. plans with this.

2. Hexagonal (head) bolts were not invented till 1830 and not widely available till 1880. So I'll need to make some square head bolts.

The set-up I used for reattaching the cockpit railings, as I hate glue getting on my finished mouldings:
View attachment 468808

Now waiting for the adhesive to set before removing the stanchion separation masking.
View attachment 468809

Working on the stern lantern with the electrical (candle) system. According to A.L. I'm supposed to mount this shortly. However, as it is a delicate piece, I'll wait till the chainplates are installed before I permanently attach it. I will use the kit provided lanterns for the tops, but this one will be fitted in the stern.
View attachment 468810
Good morning Reg. wonderful. Cheers Grant

Made a number of blocks (14) before I decided my time is worth more. So I'll purchase these from drydock. The kit blocks were mostly unacceptable except for the deadeyes, which I will be using.

My DblBlocks.jpg

The deadeyes and tackle blocks that will be attached to the chainwales are in progress. I'll assemble all of them before I solder and blacken.

BlocksInProg.jpg

The stern lantern has been completed. I purchased this unit from syren and was impressed with the piece. The "candle" has been tested and
works well; however, the lantern is only placed and not fixed in position yet. A critical eye will note that the ship that I'm attempting to model
does not have a stern lantern like this - probably due to current port authority standards, and the ship from 1750 would not have the lantern
painted this colour. But I wanted it to match the stern arch. Shrug.

SternLantern.jpg

Made a number of blocks (14) before I decided my time is worth more. So I'll purchase these from drydock. The kit blocks were mostly unacceptable except for the deadeyes, which I will be using.

View attachment 470156

The deadeyes and tackle blocks that will be attached to the chainwales are in progress. I'll assemble all of them before I solder and blacken.

View attachment 470157

The stern lantern has been completed. I purchased this unit from syren and was impressed with the piece. The "candle" has been tested and
works well; however, the lantern is only placed and not fixed in position yet. A critical eye will note that the ship that I'm attempting to model
does not have a stern lantern like this - probably due to current port authority standards, and the ship from 1750 would not have the lantern

View attachment 470159
Good morning Reg, So very good. The details are specific and accurate. Very neat work as well. Cheers Grant

View attachment 470156

View attachment 470157

View attachment 470159
Very nice - I like the appearance very much

At the point of completing hull details as per the kit plan. However, my OCD habit kicked in and changes to the kit seemed appropriate.
The kit calls for the chainplate to be assembled from brass wire (as shown in the plan image below)
Chain Plate-Kit.png

The actual ship chainplate is shown in the photo below:
ActualShipChainplate.png

I decided to modify the actual ship's rig as the kit has some of the deadeye locations in the middle of the canon ports. I should have modified this fact before I
reached this point. So, I elected to proceed with the 1750 AD version that was probably correct back in those days:
My ChainPlate-02.png

My ChainPlate-03.png

The chain lower bolts are temporarily installed while I make square-head bolts for the final attachment.

Since my fingers were getting "tired" of working with these small parts, I tried my hand at painting a
few details. Clearly I'm not an artist, but I attempted to make the figurehead accurately reflect the
actual ships version. This might not be the final version (as it only costs me 0.15 cents worth of resin
to print the lady):
F.Head-01.jpgF.Head-02.jpgF.Head-03.jpg
I gave her some hair and rust, as well as a modified helmet.

Back