H.M.S. Vanguard 1787 - Amati - 1:72 scale by ALucenti

Hello everybody.
I finished the first planking. I have not used the hot iron with the linden strips but I will not be able to do without it with the walnut strips of the second planking.
Now I will apply the putty for wood (I hope to use it little, because I don't like to use the putty with the wooden constructions). and then I'll have to smooth the hull well.

IMG_8574.jpeg

IMG_8576.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8584.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys
Just a thought on the 2nd planking
I personally use small dabs of superglue and long lines of wood glue for strength .
Cheers snowy

Hello everybody.
I finished the first planking. I have not used the hot iron with the linden strips but I will not be able to do without it with the walnut strips of the second planking.
Now I will apply the putty for wood (I hope to use it little, because I don't like to use the putty with the wooden constructions). and then I'll have to smooth the hull well.
Antonio, confused by creases in the stern in 3 photos

The first planking is looking very good - it will after some filling and some sanding a very good basis for the second planking
Very good work Thumbsup

This is looking even better - your frist planking is realy very good

Hello everybody.

View attachment 242304

View attachment 242305

View attachment 242306

View attachment 242307
Beautiful first layer planking Antonio!

Hello everybody.
A few days ago I finally started building my model.
I ordered the Vanguard Amati-Victory kit from my trusted dealer and after two weeks it arrived. Initially I found the kit very expensive but now, that I have seen the contents of the box, I think it is right. The wooden boards are very well cut and the details are very accurate. I hope not to find any surprises during the construction but so far I am very satisfied. I will strive for a good job to come. In my profession I have learned to be mythic and precise and with this hobby I have found a way to satisfy my needs.

First I numbered all the pieces before detaching them from the boards as recommended in the instructions. I mounted the keel and ordered them dry (without glue) to see if everything was in order then I glued with the vinyl glue. The first bridge fitted perfectly and held the frames perfectly in place. I waited a day for the glue to dry well then I inserted the two strips for the false guns. To pass them through the special slots I had to put them in warm water for half an hour. When they dried I stuck with vinyl glue.

View attachment 239122

View attachment 239123

View attachment 239124

View attachment 239125

Hi Antonio,

I haven't been able to look into to Ships of Scale for some time. I only today saw your log and I'm glad that you took the advice to start to your own building log. From what I see you are making great progress. Good work!!!

Red

Beautiful planking job - you should have built her as a single-plank hull! :) Thumbsup

Hi Heinrich.
Thank you.
Your photo reminds me of the beautiful book "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
Antonio

Hi everybody.
Very nice detail that later will not be visible (unfortunately).
It required attention in design and construction but only the modeler will know of its existence.
This, in my opinion, is the real magic in modeling.

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

IMG_8616.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I truly admire your construction process. I will follow this build with a lot of interest. I have been wanting to see the Vanguard built.

Very nice work
But do you think the gratings should go to the edge .
I have just seen other modellers comment on this point.
Cheers snowy

You are making an absolutely beautiful oven - if that is not going to be seen at all, it would indeed be a real pity.

Back