Hannah by DocBlake. 1:32 Scale - Scratch Built, Plank-on-Frame, Admiralty Style

Thanks, Mario!

I finally assembled the keel and the deadwood fore and aft. I simulated a build up stern deadwood by cutting grooves into the wood and highlighting them in pencil. Next up is to bevel the top edges of the keel to form the rabbet and then glue on the rising wood.

Mario: Did you bevel the lower edges of the rising wood also to form the rabbet?

dead1.jpgdead2.jpgdead3.jpg

I cut the notches for the frames into the rising wood blanks using the Byrnes saw and a I-292 .030 kerf blade. They need to be cut to length. Because the plans were scaled up to 1;32 scale, the lines on the plans have some thickness to them. It's a matter of sneaking up on the final width of the notches so the frames fit snugly. Not easy to do! I have a few that will need shimming. Since I plan to epoxy the frames to the rising wood and then pin them to the keel with brass rod, that may be overkill.

rising wood.jpg

I'm getting close to finishing the keel. The rising wood comes in two pieces. After cutting the notches for the frames, I cut the rising wood to fit, making sure the notches lined up with the frame locations on the plans. The rabbet is next. At the stem, the rabbet is created by the stem and the fore deadwood. There is no rabbet aft. The planking would sit directly on the deadwood aft of the bearding line. The main rabbet along the hull is created by beveling the top edges of the keel and the bottom edges of the rising wood. When glued together, they form a nice rabbet. In the photo the rising not yet been glued in place. Once that's done, the keel is finished.rise1.jpgrise2.jpgrise3.jpgrise4.jpg

Last edited:
Great work on keel and explanation of how it all coming together for us novice builders.

I am used to most kits with one piece keel or false keel with bottom attached when done with planking.

Your workbench looks much like mine, work at hand with lots of needed and maybe unneeded tools very close at hand for use as required.

A clean desk or workbench in this case means you don't have enough work to do and keep you busy.

My workspace is chronically cluttered. I set a frame down on the bench this morning and spent one half hour looking for it later! My bad!
I have this problem, but my solution is to (carefully) ask my wife to find it for me. When I was younger, I was forever dropping a contact lens on the floor. Then my kids were summoned to find it. Now they have moved out, I only wear spectacles

Very clever way to avoid cutting the nasty rabbet. Looking great! Keep the pictures coming.

Back