HMB ENDEAVOUR - New 1/65 Artesania Latina Model

Foremast Lower yard rigged. Took a good 9 hours for the 20 blocks plus serving of stirrups and pendants.I haven't rigged the clew-garnet and yard block yet. Disregard the red coloured coding. It was my original estimate of block size in mm: most of the 3mm blocks were upsized to 4mm.
IMG_0329.jpg
FANTASTIC WORK. It is here where many makes mistake. the footropes in general are out of scale. At that time the average high for a man was between 1,70 t0 1, 75 m high. from the footrope up to the yard divided into two- look on your scale.

1810---SQUAR SAIL UPHOLD.jpg

FANTASTIC WORK. It is here where many makes mistake. the footropes in general are out of scale. At that time the average high for a man was between 1,70 t0 1, 75 m high. from the footrope up to the yard divided into two- look on your scale.

View attachment 310521
For my 1/64 scale model of ENDEAVOUR, the foot rope stirrup eyes are 10mm (640mm or just over 2ft in real life) from the bottom of the yard. The foot ropes 0.5mm which equates to 32mm or roughly 1.5in diameter rope.

Well that was a busy long weekend. I managed to fit the Futtock Stave, Futtock Shrouds and the Catharpins on the Foremast. Thought the lacing of the Carthapins would send me batty but I managed in the end. I've tried to keep everything as close to scale using Ropes of Scale rope and 0.08mm Aurifil 1130 thread. The Ratlines will be 0.12mm Guttermann CA02776 thread eyed and lashed at each end with clove hitched in between.
IMG_0331.jpg

Last edited:
Well that was a busy long weekend. I managed to fit the Futtock Stave, Futtock Shrouds and the Catharpins on the Foremast. Thought the lacing of the Carthapins would send me batty but I managed in the end. I've tried to keep everything as close to scale using Ropes of Scale rope and 0.8mm Aurifil 1130 thread. The Ratlines will be 1.2mm Guttermann CA02776 thread eyed and lashed at each end with clove hitched in between.
IMG_0331.jpg
Good Morning Peter. Futtock shrouds are a swear word for sure. I redid mine as I found that there was just too much thread going around the staves and looked "clumpy". I had to "cheat a little from how the actual rigging of the ship was done. Your Ropes, Mast and shrouds look very good. Well done. Cheers Grant

Good Morning Peter. Futtock shrouds are a swear word for sure. I redid mine as I found that there was just too much thread going around the staves and looked "clumpy". I had to "cheat a little from how the actual rigging of the ship was done. Your Ropes, Mast and shrouds look very good. Well done. Cheers Grant
Peter,
I am wondering how the yards will be attached to the lower mast with so much rigging already in place?
Trevor.

Peter,
I am wondering how the yards will be attached to the lower mast with so much rigging already in place?
Trevor.
The lower yard rigs to the front of the mast under the stays. I will fit it the way the prototype is fitted by rigging low then raising it up the mast to the right position.

Have moved onto the Bowsprit and its yards as I cannot go any higher with the masts sue to a 30% undersupply of deadeyes in the Artesania kit (only received 61 of the 92 that were supposed to be supplied).
Everything is rigged but nothing secured yet.
Waiting on Artesania for deadeyes and Ropes of Scale for more of their wonderful rope (I really underestimated how much standing rigging rope I needed).

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

I agree. Looking very good. May I suggest installing the anchor ropes around the anchor winch and into the deck before the space there gets too limited.
Yes its was getting rather congested so I have removed all my threads and will tease rope through when the time comes. I am not fixing and ropes in place, they are all only ties on and the excess looped up and hung per the original so I can remove or retighten rigging as required. The rope bunches may not look quite as neet as the original did but that will improve with practice as rigging is added.

Have moved onto the Bowsprit and its yards as I cannot go any higher with the masts sue to a 30% undersupply of deadeyes in the Artesania kit (only received 61 of the 92 that were supposed to be supplied).
Everything is rigged but nothing secured yet.
Waiting on Artesania for deadeyes and Ropes of Scale for more of their wonderful rope (I really underestimated how much standing rigging rope I needed).

View attachment 312652

View attachment 312653
Good morning Peter. Excellent. It is an authentic looking Endeavor. I enjoy the way she looks realistic- very well done. Cheers Grant

Some limited rigging progress while I await the arrival of my next small batch of rigging from Ropes of Scale.
Fore course yard lifted on Jeers with the spritsail and spritsail topsail yard are rigged. I did the Fore course crowfeet (took a lot more than the 120mm they suggested in the instructions) and the rigging is being finished with a 'cleat' hitch to secure before looping, tying and hanging the leftover without glue.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Continued working on ENDEAVOURs boats today. Checking the kits boats vs Marquardt's drawings I found them way too long so I cut our the centre of the semi finished Longboat and removed Frame 6 from the Pinnacle formwork.
Joining the two halves of the longboat was not as difficult as I thought and I have started the finishing touches. Marquardt's drawing shows a windlass in the longboats midships between the aft mast seat and the next seat forward.

IMG_0354.jpg

Rigging has slowly progressed. Still waiting for my next order of Ropes for Scale as I am short some standing rigging. I'm close to completing the fore course yard and will soon progress to the Topsail mast and yard. The Stays on the topsail mast are only temporarily in place (held down by a bulldog clip on the stem post) as I wait for standing rigging to make up the pendants and shrouds. I still have to make up a truss for the fore course yard but have yet to identify where it ties off too as its not represented in the kit, Marquardt's drawings or the replica ENDEAVOUR. According to Petersson's book on rigging it would venture to the base of the fore mast via a table hooked to a ring in the deck and tie off on the bitts aft of the mast. but there aren't enough belaying ins for this purpose.
IMG_0355.jpg

Hi Peter,
I am admiring your build and, at the same time, looking enviously at your ship's assembly stand. Was it supplied by the kit manufacturer?
Regarding the shrouds: Did you serve the foreward pair of shrouds for each mast?
Trevor

Back