Trident Model - New Kit HMS Alert 1777 1:48 Plank on frame by Trident Models

The price is good
we don't know the price yet...but if they can get first buyers a discount - that would be nice. Also, we don't know what kind of wood will be in the kit and castings

@Sam Chan What wood will be supplied in the kit? Also, do you have any pictures of castings?

Is the kit still under preparation, or is it already finished?
Maybe some comments, or questions:

1)
The notches in the laying knees for the ledges are questionable - is it only to provide the correct location, so the modeler will have to cut them out with a chisel correctly? Now they are round and in this way off course not final

2) The timber for the knees is a different one, than the other timber used for the beams etc. - I guess it would look better, if is the same timber

3) This solution is a great idea and should be taken over in other POF kits - it is every time problematic to bring marks of the correct heights etc. inside the hull.
Everybody is trying with different success and different jigs to mark the thick stuff or deck clamps into the correct level.
I do not understand it completely how it works, but if it is working - a great help with these small temporary parts shown in the first photo - Great Idea
80984 80985

Is the kit still under preparation, or is it already finished?
Maybe some comments, or questions:

1)
View attachment 80983
The notches in the laying knees for the ledges are questionable - is it only to provide the correct location, so the modeler will have to cut them out with a chisel correctly? Now they are round and in this way off course not final

2) The timber for the knees is a different one, than the other timber used for the beams etc. - I guess it would look better, if is the same timber

3) This solution is a great idea and should be taken over in other POF kits - it is every time problematic to bring marks of the correct heights etc. inside the hull.
Everybody is trying with different success and different jigs to mark the thick stuff or deck clamps into the correct level.
I do not understand it completely how it works, but if it is working - a great help with these small temporary parts shown in the first photo - Great Idea
View attachment 80984View attachment 80985
Modeler who bought kits have already started building them, and the fastest ones are the developers have made themselves. Of course, this is not the first verification ship they made.

1)All wooden parts have been CNC machined. Even the tenon is machined at right angles. Modeler only needs to be put together like LEGO blocks. You can take a look at the picture below, which is what the CNC looks like. No post processing required.

2)The parts look different in color because the cherry wood has different oxidation times, and after a while they become the same color. All wood parts are made of cherry wood.

3)There is no good picture for this gadget. It is used to locate the cross girder on the side.

Looks like the cnc machining of the timber parts are a bit ragged. I think there's some considerable time cleaning them up with files and sandpaper.

Since we’re on the subject of CNC, why are so many kits laser cut, not CNC? Is the equipment for CNC more expensive than for laser cutting? Is CNC impractical for mass production?

Back