HMS Alert 1777 by Danielw

I put my emotion exactly as Uwe writes in the comments- 'WOW', this is quite an accomplishment. Great Progress, Dan! ...and don't worry about someone else judgments, many of us, cannot achieve half of what you are doing. POF is a really challenging project and requires some knowledge and skills. Be proud of your work: with macro or without, it is your baby!!! What next? Will you follow the instruction manual?

Thanks guys for your kind words....I'm really looking forward to the next stages.
I will follow the instruction manual to a point...at some stage there will always be a divergence from the manual.
Today I will probably revisit the stern timbers just to refine and clean up earlier stuff ups.
As an aside I may investigate the possibility of removing the hull from the bottom build cradle whilst leaving the uppermost part of the cradle in situ.,This (in theory) would allow me to view the structure in a more open setting just to check on the general "flow" and fitting. There are several areas that cannot be easily checked as they are hidden by the cradle structure. It would of course be necessary to re insert the hull to continue construction and to hold the hull rigidly.
Anyway that's just an idea.
Cheers. Dan w

Paul ,Fun I have not had today.. Didn't get to do any of the aforementioned...I laid the keelson and the limber strakes. Along with those hooky looking bits of mdf designed to assist in the run of the deck clamps.
Oh ,boy!!!!Any way after much fidding and fitting they're in ,but the limber strakes etc. are a temp. fit.
The joints in my fingers and hand are quite tired.
I have decided to use the "track pins" to represent the major bolts along the keelson etc. I am not going to overdo it 'cause I don't want it to look "freckly".
Anyway.. back to it. Cheers, Dan w
20201005_185010[1].jpg

Me too - since I started with my La Salamandre from CAF - I can not stop any more ......
I forgot to add a 'learning experience' in terms of ship construction\parts. For the past month, I have learned more then I knew all my ship modeling time. ;) It is just a great way to learn!!!

Yes Jim, The aspects of historical naval architecture are fascinating..This is probably what gives me the buzz regarding POF.
Things may well slow down on my Alert progress as I am at the stage where some works cannot advance without other works being completed and 101% accurate. Cheers, Dan w

HA ha ha...Love your work..
Years ago I got a Swan Morton scalpel and a mess of blades..must be hundreds of the blighters...I forget what it cost.. I've still got a pile left..When they are sharp you don't even feel the blade as it slices into your finger. The first indication that something is amiss is blood!!!
Just ordered a couple of dental probe thingys...(I'm not a doctor but I'll take a look at it for you)..
But seriously, I know the Homemade device pictured has been around for ages,but I thought I'd remind everyone of the endless combinations that can be made.
Very handy indeed.Old fashioned wooden clothes pegs available at the "two dollar shop"for very cheap..20201006_092122[1].jpg20201006_092056[1].jpg

Thanks, John, It is a buzz(relief) to see all those ribs lined up...But there is always that little niggling thought,"Gee I could have done that bit better". But if one thinks like that all the time one would go crazy..

Hey Jim, you must have been typing as I was replying to John.
I suppose the initial burst of activity is driven by wanting to see how this "thing" is going to shape up...
I continue to amazed at the thought that has gone into some of the small details on this project , for example the various templates and jigs..Quite clever.

I would be screwed without the Rib templates. Several time I have numbered and cut out the wrong rib parts. Although they look correct, the template says they don fit. and Yep a review shows I cut the parts at the wrong end of the Board. ( board 6 & 9 all the parts look the same on the boards). Saved me twice so far.

Hi all,
I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here or I may have made a huge stuff up.It concerns the Limber strakes and deck clamps that lie longitudinally along the hull.(part no.DL1 DL2 DL30 and parts BL25 BL26 BL27, Breast hooks). It would seem that the cut outs in the breast hooks bear little or no resemblance to the dimensions of DL1 DL2 orDL30.If anyone gets a chance could you have a look and see what is wrong? If it's me I will cop the raucous laughter and derisive comments!:confused:
Cheers Dan w

Thank goodness it was not just me experiencing the fitting problems....
I have dry fitted the lower deck beams etc. They require fine sanding and removal of pencil marks as well as proper alignment.
Be sure to soak the deck clamps before attempting to fit them.
Wang' s contribution has been invaluable and I am looking fwd to Trident's details re the interior . 20201013_073834[1].jpg20201013_073755[1].jpg

Back