HMS Alert 1777 by Danielw

Daniel, please note new topic by Trident Model:

Edit: just noticed Trident's response above- please remove this comment.

Things will slow up a bit now. With the main structure now in place the attention will be on the detail...Not much can happen until Trident sends through the cabin details...In regard to the cabin etc. anyone got any data re the colour scheme? I'm referring to the accommodation cabins.
Were they left a natural timber or were they given a coat of something to give a bit of light?

Things will slow up a bit now. With the main structure now in place the attention will be on the detail...Not much can happen until Trident sends through the cabin details...In regard to the cabin etc. anyone got any data re the colour scheme? I'm referring to the accommodation cabins.
Were they left a natural timber or were they given a coat of something to give a bit of light?
I expect bulkheads would be painted white, deck and ceilings wood, maybe with some wood colour details in the more posh cabins of senior officers.

Through some very cunning planning I have been able to remove the hull from the lower part of the cradle and able to view the exterior warts and all. To explain... when constructing the cradle I glued the major parts aligning the keel and sternpost to the base board of the jig.
This allowed the upper plate to be removed ,the individual ribs having been glued to it. A little bit of jiggling was required re part CL15 of the jig to allow the lifting out of the hull.
And yes the hull can be reinserted into the jig.
The reasoning behind this is that the exterior will require 'fairing' and general cleaning up and if this was to be done after internal works had been completed damage could occur not to mention the sanding dust lodging in the internals. It also gives me the opportunity to rectify errors or sloppy workmanship.
I hope the attached lousy photos give you the idea. Cheers,20201015_154024[1].jpg20201015_154018[1].jpg20201015_153450[1].jpg20201015_153346[1].jpg

Hi Daniel, I'm up to where you are just about( adding footwhales ) did you find the positioning locks to short. I have removed the ridged rib guides as it was impossible to add the locks with them in place and there appears to be no other use now. I only really used the mid ship ones to give me the top bend location for 29 & 30. It was easier to pin the whales flat for gluing without the guides.

The question I'm asking is have trident asked to hold off on parts 95 onward pending cabin info ?

G'day Paul,
Yeah, I found them a little short ..They did fit after a bit of filing and swearing but I placed more reliance on my own various wedges,clamps etc.
Trident did not mention any specific part but my interpretation was that he is to provide details/instructions re the interior as supplied with our SOS kit.(nothing forthcoming to date).
In the light of that request from Trident I ceased work inside and removed the hull from the cradle to concentrate on the externals to avoid damage to any interior that I may put in.
Boy oh boy, It's amazing what you can see after removal. What with all the jigging and framing one's view is somewhat limited. It is quite frightening to see things that you thought you had done so carefully and accurately in the full light of day!!Nothing that wasn't fixable.
As mentioned previously I needed to redo the bow and completely re fabricate AL1 and re jig AL2 &AL3.
My own stupidity and lack of skill, but hey it turned out ok.
Cheers, Danielw

Yep cheers, totally agree the berth hides a lot of external adjustment needs. It functions as required mostly, I have a fair bit of faring and adjustment to do on the outside as well, but might wait till the frames are a bit more secure first & locked before I tackle the exterior. I have the strangest of feelings that the double ribs should reversed to what the manual suggests ie 19,17,18. not 19,18,17 etc.

@danielw and @paulv1958 We cannot thanks enough to you guys as we follow your build progress and have that luxury of adjusting our builds according to your discovery!
Paul, can you elaborate on what do you mean by reverse order of double frames?

As for the interior ( captain\crew accommodations) instruction manual, Trident said, he will supply the electronic version in three days. I think it should be someday in the upcoming week. Anyone, who already framed the hull should wait to avoid re-do. He is moving into a new studio (shop), all come together at the same time...Oh well...

Hi Jim sorry to take up Daniels build, but the Double Rib slots have varying heights in the keel, and the Rib slots in the Ribs themselves. I chose those no's because 18 sits high and 17 low on the keel. however If I had reversed and installed 18 in 17 and 17 in 18 slot they probably would have sat correctly. It may be me but when I look along my hull. It is consistent up down at all the doubles. As this is my first POF, i could have screwed up. I can fix externally with sanding, but it is a thing to look for. I guess this is why they suggest NOT joining the doubles prior to installing. The correct Ribs are sitting in their respective slots, but hmm...

Paul, Don't worry about taking up "my build".Any suggestions, ideas ,and stumbling blocks are all here for all to read..
And gee I'd be disappointed if someone doesn't chip in with an idea.
.I see what you mean re 17& 18..
I found that the external sanding remedied quite a few "ills".Usually as a result of inaccuracy on my part.
Also, when sanding the ribs be aware that the timber for the ribs may come from different "sheets" and the timber in those sheets may be of differing hardness to that of the adjoining rib, so when sanding be Alert:)rolleyes:) to the extent of sanding needed from one rib to the other.
Please understand that I am not "tearing ahead "with the build. I spend a lot of time dry fitting and examining the next subsequent steps to see what lies ahead. Failing to plan is planning to fail..
Looking fwd to the interior data.
Cheers.

Hi Jim sorry to take up Daniels build, but the Double Rib slots have varying heights in the keel, and the Rib slots in the Ribs themselves. I chose those no's because 18 sits high and 17 low on the keel. however If I had reversed and installed 18 in 17 and 17 in 18 slot they probably would have sat correctly. It may be me but when I look along my hull. It is consistent up down at all the doubles. As this is my first POF, i could have screwed up. I can fix externally with sanding, but it is a thing to look for. I guess this is why they suggest NOT joining the doubles prior to installing. The correct Ribs are sitting in their respective slots, but hmm...
I don't think you screwed up Paul, according to plate II on the blue prints it is suppose to be that way (and the reverse from 36/37 onward)IMG_20201020_083242.jpg
and just to confuse matters its all straight on plate I ?
IMG_20201020_083253.jpg

Back