HMS Blandford Project Main Support Page

Thanks Dave, I will change the drawing.
Mike

Great, Mike! I’m probably more easily confused than most so maybe this little glitch wouldn’t affect anybody, but changing the drawing makes everything consistent. We all appreciate your hard work and dedication to this project. Thanks,

I wanted to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving this week!

I have pulled off of my build for this week and probably won’t be doing anymore on it for a few weeks after that. I have a deadline on another project that is on my drawing board that has to get finished in the next month or so.

I and the wife are headed to Hawaii for the holiday and have a Thanksgiving luau set up for the family on Maui. Our newly minted physician daughter gets her first vacation this week with us and will be joining us. She is in her first year of surgical residency and has been worked to the bone of late.

So I will see you guys on the other side of the holiday!

Andy

Mike, Have you changed the drawings to match the BOM, is it downloadable yet as I am going to the printers this Saturday as I do not drive and can only get out every 2 weeks so if you have them let me know I use the drawings as patterens, thanks for doing this project and all your efforts. Don

Don the drawing has been changed.

Per Mike:

I did make a change on the Blandford_Keel-32.pdf to make the drawing match the BOM. I am sending Donnie a copy with the date 11/19/17 to re-issue on the Blandford downloads links. DocBlake found the drawing was 1/16” lower than it should have been the BOM has the correct dimensions on it and Don need to order his material from it.

I also made changes to two Part 3 drawings:

Blandford_Hold-Pump_Details_48sh2.pdf dated 11/20/17

Blandford_Hold-Pump_Details_32sh2.pdf dated 11/20/17

These drawings need to be re-issued also.

I found these errors while getting the Part 4 drawings ready to issue, sorry about that. I have Part 4 drawn but need to do the instructions and BOM, I will get this to Donnie later this week so he can post them on the cross section download links.

Hi All, first a wonderfull Thanksgiving to all on SOS and may JSUES BLESS ALL FOR THE KINDNESS AND FRIENSHIPS ON THIS SITE,,,,next I am going out to printers this Saturday since I only get out twice a month, do need the revised drawings that Mike sent out can you help Don

Getting quite worried today is the last day before I go to printers I DESPERATLY NEED THE REVISIONS but can not find them CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE this is the latest revisons to 1:32 scale, please someone help. Don

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND THE REVISIONS DATED 11/19 And 11?20 have been asking everyone no answers I can not do the Keel until I have revised plans all in 1:32 scale someone please help me. Don

Don , the plans have been revised, probably the that has not been updated on them, I sent and Mike sent you a pm with the refreshed links.

Sorry to tell you this, but I've found another error in the 1/32" plans. The revised keel plans call for the keel to be 7-15/16" long, yet the upper build board (with the notches) is laid out for a keel measuring 7 - 13/16". The frames sitting on the keel will not line up properly with the notches in the upper building board. they are 1/8" off. It looks like I'll have to start over again when the upper build board is revised to the proper measurements.

Hi Mike,
I'm afraid that I ran into the same problem as Dave only I pressed on. I'm really frustrated and have decided to start over. I have remade the bottom board and attached my uprights, I was about to reuse my upper build board until I read Dave's post. I have to admit though that it was my own fault for not checking for square while fitting my frames.
I am thinking that if I dry fit each frame to the keel first and mark the keel with the correct location of the notch go with original 8" keel I may be all right. I started last night cutting new frames.
All in all though I have spent less on materiel then I would have with a kit. To put it bluntly. "S**t happens." I will pay more attention to detail and instructions this time.
One other issue I had is the addendum to the instructions on beveling the frames 6 - 9 I did not understand the instructions and I blew it off, my bad. I am reluctant to continue with what I have not knowing what problems I will have as a result down the road.
I will not give up!

Hi Mike

It always pays to check plans. On my Connie build I already know of a few issues with gratings but I am not up to that stage yet.

The old rule of measure twice and cut one applies.

The other rule is it is only wood and can be replaced applies to.

This project we are all going to learn including Mike and the tutor. This is a huge task on Mikes behalf. We all will learn.

Cheers
Geoff

I've been looking back at the plans for 1:32 scale and I think I might have figured it out. To my eyes, the keel length should be 7 - 13/16" and not 8". This squares with the keel length on the building jig as well as the keel length in the lower deck framing plans and the hold plan. I suspect the main deck framing plans call for a keel of that length also, but we haven't seen those drawings yet. I think that when the keel thickness was increased to 5/8" from 9/16", the keel was inadvertently lengthened also. At 8" the frames will not align in the jig properly. If the keel is redrawn to 7 - 13/16" long by 5/8" thick by 3/8" wide, all should be well. The drawing will have to be redone, so the notches in the keel are properly spaced.

Mike: Can you confirm that what I'm saying is accurate? Fixing the keel drawing is a lot easier than changing all the other drawings to conform to the (inaccurate?) 8" keel length. I

:text-thankyouyellow:

Hi Mike, Does the comple building board have to change, or the top 1/4 inch where the cut out section is rubber cemented for ct out, for me I would just like to do it right and get the new top cut out plan, and not modify the keel drrawings as happens many time to us intermediate modelers the easier fix does not work most of the times better just a revised top sheet the 1/4 inch plywood to rubber cement the cut out pattern too,, just my opion. Don Farr

Hey guys,
I sent out a PM explaining the situation with Mikes Revision of the top building board. The Building Board has been revised with some dimensional changes that might answer some questions here.

The changes are here:

http://shipsofscale.com/blandford/part1/plans/building-board/Blandford-Build-Board-32-Sht-1.pdf

http://shipsofscale.com/blandford/part1/plans/building-board/Blandford-Build-Board-48-Sht-1.pdf

Hi Donnie!

For those of us building the 1:32 version, can you confirm that the upper jig has not been changed from the original? I downloaded it and it is exactly the same as the previous version. The keel measurement is 7 - 13/16" (not 8") and the sheet is the dated 9/23/17, as was the original version.

Back