HMS Diana by Caldercraft

Thx all of you... I do my best.. ;)

Dear Tony...
Let the Con wait... and start with the Diana...;)
Together we have more fun...
The biggest problem I am currently experiencing is the inadequate instructions....

And the fear of making "modifications" that I will regret later... Such as the topic "False Keel" and tapering the whole...
Yes, I found the solution for the 20 & 21... but you have to pay attention as you continue to study....

For ex. the plank termination templates below.... here you clearly have to taper them before gluing but how much?
Try and error is not permitted...

1720685256384.png

Diana22.jpg

Diana23.jpg

Thx all of you... I do my best.. ;)

Dear Tony...
Let the Con wait... and start with the Diana...;)
Together we have more fun...
The biggest problem I am currently experiencing is the inadequate instructions....

And the fear of making "modifications" that I will regret later... Such as the topic "False Keel" and tapering the whole...
Yes, I found the solution for the 20 & 21... but you have to pay attention as you continue to study....

For ex. the plank termination templates below.... here you clearly have to taper them before gluing but how much?
Try and error is not permitted...

View attachment 458407

View attachment 458408

View attachment 458409
Marc I am truly tempted but I'm scared if I stop it now I won't want to start it again. My last model (Unicorn) was sitting 20 years unfinished before I complete it, I can't let that happen again.

Tony

Again an update, a very important one: tapering the Bulkheads.
In order to nicely taper the Bulkheads (first 4 in front, 4 latest in the back) I decided to temporally install the Gun deck and the Main deck.
Before doing this is made an exact copy of both decks by coping the size on two plywood plates... (0,8 mm thick). In case of.....
I noticed that you almost cannot install the gundeck without the risk to break it into 2 pieces....
So I cut the plywood in 2 half, which make it very easy to put them in place...and to plank it...piece of cake and can be done nicely without braking some parts...;

Additionally in temporally installed the main deck and next step is tapering the Bulkheads in the same curve as both the Gun and Main deck....

PS
Everything fits perfectly.....
Also the basswood arrived which will allow me to fill the gaps between the Bulkheads (No Balsa wood because I managed to purchase the basswood at a lower price..)...

Diana30.jpg

Diana31.jpg

Diana33.jpg

Diana32.jpg

Diana39.jpg

Diana36.jpg

Diana37.jpg

Gentlemen,
I would like to post a special remark:
While building the stern you need to place the stern lower fascia frames and the stern counter frames. The counter frames are intended to form a right angle with the stern lower fascia frames...see red circle.
If you don't pay attention and follow the order of the instruction manual, you will NOT succeed.
That's why I first did glue de lower fascia frames (blue circle) with defining the right angle (picture on the right) with the stern counter frames
And as you can see they are NOT horizontally placed...
As a result, the whole looks good and everything fits...without filing and tapering.... :)

I started also with the assembly of the filling blocs, which will allow me to place the planking much easier...and as said I'm using basswood instead of Balsa...
The linden wood is stronger and offers added value if I need to use nails...

1720973445900.png

Diana42.jpg

Diana43.jpg

Back