HMS Euryalus 1803 - Scale 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Super work, as always. I imagine you would really get to know your fellow sailors during your morning constitution as those "seats of ease" are so close to one another! ROTF A different time indeed!
They were sitting with back against back so you don t see eachother, uhh 21st century thinking

Maarten, do you have any empirical proof that they sat back to back. Is there a 18th century painting somewhere showing sailors on their potty seats?:oops: I wasn't serious. It was humor.;)

Last edited:
Congratulations for reaching this step - great work
Small comment to Maarten and Ken.
The Euralyus had appr. 300 seamen on board - and only four seats of ease - at this time a lot for this "small crew" - imagine a 100 gunner with up to 900 seamen and soldiers
So I guess that there was several times a small jam of seamen waiting for their time

seat of ease.png

we have also a started topic in "Construction Details of Ships"

o_O Uwe, it never ceases to amaze me the information and knowledge you have at your finger tips! I was aware that "comfort space" didn't exist on ships of the time, but the proximity of the Seats of Ease in this example really drove that home. Thanks! :cool:

Hello everyone,

The ribands (2 per side) were attached. The nails were simulated by 0.35 mm holes

ESC8104.jpg

ESC8105.jpg

ESC8106.jpg

ESC8108.jpg

ESC8109.jpg

ESC8110.jpg

ESC8111.jpg

It is not to believe.
The skeleton is finished. After approx. 2 1/2 years of building, after several curses, remakes and a patient wife, the model is finished.
I would like to thank all those who supported me with criticism, advice and encouragement to have realised this very beautiful and somewhat different model.
Thank you again,
Now I still have to think about what the stand or holder will look like.

to be continued

Greetings
Ruediger

Gratuluje, twoja praca jest super wielu z nas może brać twoją pracę na wzór do naśladowania . Pozdrawiam Mirek

Congratulations, your work is great many of us can take your work as a role model. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations also from my side - you made a remarkable model
I am looking forward to see her "finished" on the final stand - maybe like on the slipyard in the shipyard......

Congratulations Ruediger, thank you for an inspiring and educational log, I can't wait to see how the ship turns out when it is ready for exhibition, regards Knut-

A very good question !!!!
Because after the stand you will need fast a new challenge ;)
Hallo Uwe, Hallo Marten,

Betreffend neuem Modell habe ich nichts konkretes ins Auge gefasst. Ich habe noch bei mir den kompletten Abo-Satz der Titanic von 2003 rumliegen. Dann muss ich noch meinen Routemaster Bus von Hachette bis Lieferung 13 und für meine Schwester einen Käfer ebenfalls von Hachette zusammenschrauben. Außerdem habe ich Captain John Smith shallop in der Ukraine bestellt. Mal schauen wann und ob die überhaupt ankommt. Ich habe für mich festgestellt dass mir der Scratchbau im Moment sehr schwer fällt. Irgendwie ist mir die innere Ruhe abhanden gekommen. Ich rege mich zu sehr auf wenn mal was daneben geht, war früher nicht so. Vielleicht ändert es sich ja mal. Aber irgendwie wird es schon was Neues geben solange die Hände bzw. Finger das tun was mein Hirn so denkt.

I hope the translation is good enough and understandable

I don't have any concrete plans for a new model. I still have the complete Hachette Titanic from 2003 lying around. Then I still have to assemble my Routemaster Bus from Hachette up to delivery 13 and a Beetle from Hachette for my sister. I have also ordered the shallop from John Smith in the Ukraine. Let's see when and if it arrives at all. I have noticed that scratch building is very difficult for me at the moment. Somehow I have lost my inner calm. I get too upset when something goes wrong, that wasn't the case before. Maybe it will change one day. But somehow there will be something new as long as my hands and fingers do what my brain thinks.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Greetings
Ruediger

Hi Ruediger,

Wenn Sie sich die Ergebnisse Ihres Builds ansehen, arbeiten Ihre Hände und Ihr Gehirn so gut wie es nur geht.
Die Projekte, die Sie erwähnt haben sind schon, aber wir alle wissen höchstwahrscheinlich, wenn Sie einmal Schiffsmodelle gebaut haben, ist es eher eine Ergänzung, vielleicht können Sie für einen Monat oder ein Jahr aufhören, aber dann wird ein neues Projekt auftauchen.
Ich freue mich auf dieses neue Projekt, aber jetzt können wir auf Ihren großartigen Bau zurückblicken, vielen Dank dafür.

Looking at the results of your build your hands and brain work as good as it gets.
The projects you mentioned sounds nice but we all know most probably if you once build shipmodels it is lije an addition, maybe you can stop for a month, a year but then a new project will appear.
I am looking forward to that new project, but for now we can look back at your magnificent build, many thanks for that.

@Maarten hat eigentlich schon alles wichtige gesagt.
Deine Art und Weise zu arbeiten ist extrem gut, und ich freue mich schon darauf die neuen Projekte zu verfolgen.
Bausätze und hoffentlich bald auch wieder scratch, vielleicht etwas kleineres......

Maarten mentioned already the most important.
Your way of working is extremly good, so I am looking forward to follow your new projects.
Kits and hopefully in short time scratch, maybe something smaller....

Back