HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

hello guys, some more planking has been done and leveling gunport plank edges. I need to be careful with that as the inboard planking is cherry wood and much harder than the gunports wood ( basswood) and easy to overdo it.

2019-09-30 05.32.24 (2).jpg2019-09-30 05.32.14 (2).jpg2019-09-30 12.34.47 (2).jpg2019-09-30 12.35.02 (2).jpg2019-09-30 22.48.36 (2).jpg2019-09-30 22.48.45 (2).jpg2019-10-01 12.11.18.jpg2019-10-01 18.58.49.jpg2019-10-01 18.59.02.jpg2019-10-01 18.59.14.jpg2019-10-01 18.59.30.jpg2019-10-05 12.14.48 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Zoly...mate...you are cheating bro!!!!! I thought it is your scratch building project...but you have ordered some laser cut parts. :p Don't worry, I will keep it secret. But carriages look great. What kind of wood they are made from? Can this be ordered from any species of wood?

Looking good Zolly.Those carriages look pretty close to me,at least from the pics.
Regarding trimming the inner planking inside the ports.I never got satisfactory results using a file or sanding stick.The linings always got marked.I use a number 26 Scalpel blade (mounted in a handle) and work from the centre to each corner.Working from the outside and with practice you can flex the blade slighty and trim the planking flush without even touching the lining.Brand new blade a must and replace it the second the edge starts to dull.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Zoly...mate...you are cheating bro!!!!! I thought it is your scratch building project...but you have ordered some laser cut parts. :p Don't worry, I will keep it secret. But carriages look great. What kind of wood they are made from? Can this be ordered from any species of wood?

I did not even ask ,I think they are cherry,I don’t see why Dave could not get you them on any other wood.

Last edited:
Looking good Zolly.Those carriages look pretty close to me,at least from the pics.
Regarding trimming the inner planking inside the ports.I never got satisfactory results using a file or sanding stick.The linings always got marked.I use a number 26 Scalpel blade (mounted in a handle) and work from the centre to each corner.Working from the outside and with practice you can flex the blade slighty and trim the planking flush without even touching the lining.Brand new blade a must and replace it the second the edge starts to dull.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hello Nigel,thanks for visiting my build log.
I will inspect the gunports again and see if they need correction.

Last edited:
@donfarr Hi Don, There many different shapes and brands of scalpels. Frankly speaking, surgery type of blades should be very sharp. I assume the #11 blade should be sufficient for this job as it has the longest edge among others. I found some on Amazon (just ordered for myself) but never use this brand before, they are disposable as soon as they get dull.

Another suggestion is to buy # 11 blades made by Olfa (Japan). They made with high-grade steel, and while also considered disposable, you can sharpen them and they can serve a longer life. But this will require sharpening knowledge and use of sharpening stones. Those blades can fit the most hobby knives.

51fGJPYdlqL.jpg

Hope this will help,

Jim and Don,Swann Morton number 26.The number 11 blades go in the small handle Jim,the number 26 are much longer as they go in the large handle.They are stronger as well as they have more material on the back of the blade where the cutout is;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back