Hms Vanguard 1787 1:72 - Victory Models/Amati

G'day again
Just a small update as I have finished the lower gun port lids.
Now I'm working on the upper gun port lids and playing around with the cutter. I was thinking of putting them on as well before I put the upper deck on, as I was thinking of tying the ropes off to the inside of the ship.
The big question is: will this make working on the upper deck and remaining gun ports harder to work on. Oh well that is a decision for another day .
Onwards and upwards ,happy modelling and cheers from
Snowy

20210221_124105.jpg20210221_124049.jpg20210221_124030.jpg20210221_124015.jpg

G'day all
First up I'd like to say thanks Bryian.
As you will see I have put on the top camber beams and the boat beams.
I have added a cross peice of timber of 3×2 on both sides to take the weight of the 4 boats to go on top .( I thought it strange that they just get glued under the deck. I also put in 3 nails on each one to the side of the ship.
Now on to the deck

20210314_123022.jpg20210314_123015.jpg20210314_123007.jpg

Cheers snowy

G'day all
As i have shown before I'm going with option 2 for the upper gun deck.
I'm glad there is no time limit on these as just one gun took me 3 hours.all good only 27 to go
Ps: pity they will get covered over but I will have proof in the photos plus I think it will be good practice
Cheers all snowy View attachment 175409View attachment 175410
Hi, I'm new here and also building the Vanguard. I have been looking for the brass saddles for the carriages but cant locate any. Are they an own invention?
Björn

G'day red bear
I got these from (modellers central ) in Australia
Good luck
Cheers snowy

Hi Snowy,
Thanks for your information.
The build looks really nice. As I'm a couple of month behind you in my build this is a great inspiration. Though the guns are assembled and painted I'm not looking forward to rigging them. I'm however not going to do a complete option two. Only the extra rear tackles.
Cant remember if it was you that asked for hints on blackening the brass or if I read it somewhere else. Anyway I can recommend something called Brass Black from Birchwood.

Cheers
Red

Hey thanks red bear
I'll look into the brass black as I have never seen this and may use it on the eyelets on the top deck.
Cheers snowy

A short you tube video.
This is a great solution to blacken brass and copper, it will not work on other metal alloys such as pewter (casting parts usually supplied in the kit) and steel. Also. it worth mentioning that this solution should be diluted with water. What proportions you have to experiment on the particular brass\copper parts.
There are other products on the market to archive the same results. Check them out.

Thanks, i used the the wales and decoration strips as natural borders when I did the painting. Not totally correct, I know, but it simplified things.
Have just started to work on the the gun ports. Another never ending task.

Cheers red and Bryian
Top deck should be fun ,then the real fun starts .ie : back facia and side galleries. Then the bow
All good cheers snowy

Yeah red did that on my last ship but went out on this one and went over diff colours over diff Wales as on plans all good cheers snowy

Back