HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

this actually did make copper strip foil to stick better to the surface.
Cheers mate, I had an idea I would have to stick some pins to a flat bar somehow, and I like the varnish idea. I gave my deck planks a coat of danish oil when I had finished them. protects the wood really well.

Hi, here are some updates. I will be adding pictures a bit later. I had all gun port wriggles done and had them glued on both sides. I am happy with what I got. Now the hull is ready to be painted black - yellow wasp like stripes. I however will not paint it till stern and prow decorations are fully complete. This is because lots of hull handling required to put these decorations on will damage painted surfaces. Note the guns are not glued on. Cannons cannot yet be glued on as I will not be able to paint hull sides. Just put the guns in for a show.

E624884F-8962-48EA-99BB-1209096864B6.jpeg32D915EC-8D92-46E9-9FFA-74BE20808FC6.jpeg3A85FFDE-DEEC-4B49-9D3F-61A7A9406711.jpeg

Here is the Evolution of False Stern Stanchions. I became very sensitive to issue of my false stern stanchions. I did not like castings provided with the kit. Then I decided I will carve each one from wood dowel and decided on their size. This is what you see on top left corner of the picture. Then I understood they look way too bulky. I made new template and started to carve from wood dowels what you see on top right corner of the picture. I carved pretty many but not even close enough. Then I realized that carving over 250 stanchions will get me into mental hospital. Then I decided I will make just one nice template and multiply it with re-casting. So I made pretty nice template which can be seen in bottom left corner of the picture. And what do you think? I did produce about dozen of images. I started to put them on my model. Then I realized these stanchions again were way too bulky and besides they were just of one vertical square image when I neded also ones inclined at about 20 degrees and both left and right hand images. So I carved today hopefully a final version of my stanchion template which you see in bottom right corner.

2.jpg

Cheers mate, I had an idea I would have to stick some pins to a flat bar somehow, and I like the varnish idea. I gave my deck planks a coat of danish oil when I had finished them. protects the wood really well.
Hi Spider, oils applied to wood look nice however we should not forget that oil will prevent glue or copper foil to stick to wood processed with it.

Hi Spider, oils applied to wood look nice however we should not forget that oil will prevent glue or copper foil to stick to wood processed with it.
YT, my friend, your work is without doubt of a very high standard and you will no doubt have seen that there are quite a few of us on here that are using you as the benchmark for our own builds. rightly so, in my humble opinion.

I have a serious question to ask you, please be honest, I wont be offended in any way if you say no. Would you consider making and selling me a full set of the "wriggles" for above the gun ports, and a full set of the stanchions?

I would rather put some money your way than mess up my build by trying to do a sub standard job myself.

I fully accept if you dont want to, and wont be in any way offended if you say no, so please dont feel obliged to say yes just because we are on the same forum doing the same build. I just want to achieve the same quality that you have.

and as my Grandmother used to tell me, if you dont ask, you dont get!!

On another note, I only put the oil on the deck planks, nothing else. it was a good 10 years ago and they still look as good now as they did then.

Your build is looking awesome mate, I started my stern galleries today, with the blocks under the sides, just need to shape them now, and alter the mouldings to fit, as it seems you did from your photos.. the mamoli ones are way too small to fit where they are supposed to go. Nice touch by the way.

Kindest regards

spider

Last edited:
what happened to the older pictures?????? I click on the image icon and it says "file not found"....This is important to me as I have been following YT's build for ideas.

Would you consider making and selling me a full set of the "wriggles" for above the gun ports, and a full set of the stanchions?

Hi Spider, thank you very much. I am glad you like my modelling ideas. I am extremely flattered. Sorry I am saying no to your request. My issue is the lack of time. I still work for living and hardly have any time for my favourite model building hobby. I feel I already am very slow with building this model. I can suggest however a website where they offer some 1:90 HMS Victory fittings for sale. They look much better than mine.

Hi, YT. It's a shame about MSW fouling up your pictures sequence. Since now gone, I have a ? or two. In reference to the figure head and the taffrail decorations. My castings look like they got ran over by a truck. Very poorly cast. Did you use originals. I've found a place called "shapeways" but they are expensive. $25 a piece, but very detailed and accurate. 3D printing. (not including shipping) Also looked at Cornwall. They have the parts but taffrail is of stock plus I question their dimensions on the figurehead. Any ideas would be appreciated. thank you for your time. Mamoli also shorted me the figure of the 2 guys on the stern and a couple scroll pieces. I'll figure something out.

Hi Ken. I plan using almost all castings for prow and the stern. I only carved my own giant men as I did not like ones in the kit. On the picture some are painted gold, some yet just primered, some modified. I had cut apart some casting ornaments in order to get more visual resemblance to real ship.

02C178A0-B7A7-49DE-9CE5-E882B6AB808A.jpeg2D12ADEF-A682-4CF4-9647-93E0A0241657.jpeg

Hi Ken. I plan using almost all castings for prow and the stern. I only carved my own giant men as I did not like ones in the kit. On the picture some are painted gold, some yet just primered, some modified. I had cut apart some casting ornaments in order to get more visual resemblance to real ship.
My taffrail and figurehead is so mangled, you cannot even make

View attachment 159213View attachment 159214
I'm missing a whole bunch of pieces. That one right there, that you have already mounted on the stern, the two men are missing. The taffrail and figurehead, I can't even make out any details. Let alone even trying to paint them would be a complete waste of time.

My taffrail and figurehead is so mangled, you cannot even make

I'm missing a whole bunch of pieces. That one right there, that you have already mounted on the stern, the two men are missing. The taffrail and figurehead, I can't even make out any details. Let alone even trying to paint them would be a complete waste of time.
The only other option would be, just paint them yellow ocre, mount things as reasonably well proportioned and bite the bullet.

Hi Spider, thank you very much. I am glad you like my modelling ideas. I am extremely flattered. Sorry I am saying no to your request. My issue is the lack of time. I still work for living and hardly have any time for my favourite model building hobby. I feel I already am very slow with building this model. I can suggest however a website where they offer some 1:90 HMS Victory fittings for sale. They look much better than mine.

YT, That's not a problem mate, I too work full time and know how precious spare time can be. Thank you for the website, they have some good stuff on there, I've ordered a set of side stanchions, the full stern stanchion kit, and a set of each rigols. Cost me £85 including postage, which given the quality of their kit I think it is worth it. As I said, I would rather have put the money your way, but never mind. It just seemed a shame that you went to all the trouble of making the molds/castings, I feel you should have some reward for all your effort. Might be something to think about for the future, I know there is a market for them.

I tried the 2 castings that go under the side wooden blocks, the mamoli ones are too small, it looks like you extended them, good job. gonna give it a go, nothing to lose..

spider

Good news with lost pictures on this building log! Bottle One of SOS members RenAshbelle had all my pictures from this build log downloaded and I just got the pictures from him. Gradually I will be adding them to right places on this log.

Hi RenAshbelle, thank you very much again for your help! I greatly appreciate it. Thumbsup

Back