HMS Victory - Caldercraft-Jotika - 1/72. Build log

Thanks Stuart - There was no implication of a 'connection' with Littlefair's, just a thank you for alerting me to them and the water stain product.

Interesting that you comment on the amount of CNC 'dust' in the box. I have often wondered why the manufacturers don't do this and blow out the dust before packing. I wouldn't have thought it was such a big process, yet they expect us to do it.

Regards,

PeterG
It was just me with tongue in cheek TRYING to make a joke! ROTF Thumbsup
At first, I thought the CNC hadn't cut enough, then I realised the kerf was still packed with the dust.

They do it because it would cost time and money to remove it so making an expensive kit even more out of reach
I would sooner have the dust than have to clean off laser char
I don't think it would cost much for a few seconds blast between loading each sheet, after all, the machine probably gets a blast of air. Actually, the CNC kerf is wider than laser cut, which makes the part removal that much easier using a HD knife, or scroll saw.Thumbsup

Great work Peter.
You are right about triple checking wood dimensions. It is easy to see a difference in width on the same piece!
I separated everything and still double check a few before pulling them out for use. Great, GREAT tip!

As for colors and wood color textures...I suppose the old adage, "your model....your choice" prevails.

I think I used a jocobean stain on my deck. It is has a very dark/black color and when diluted seemed to give a grayer 'weathered teak' look.

Again, a high mark for builder to strive for and one I'll never reach, but admire!
Chris

Back