HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good morning. (Here in SA). I went through my waterline work and found this error. Any advice to rectify is appreciated.

My line didn’t follow onto my rudder, this I can fix and line up, however the paint seeped into the planking lines - 3 spots(probably as these planks are vertical) When I repaint the corrected line it will improve. Is there a way to ensure it doesn’t happen again (I use Tamiya tape and used my nail to press into these gaps originally) and can you remove this ? I use acrylic paint.
4004BDE3-D838-4A73-B58F-DF781DC03BD7.jpeg

Hi Grant... I don't think anyone will notice those small paint dots ever. Unfortunately I don't know how to clean them. But I will try, with a sharp blade to scratch the wood surface. Very soft!!! Or leave them as they are.

I believe, that to avoid issues like that one, the use of a primer first and then the paint will help. The primer will cover the wood pores that by capilarity are absorbing the paint. The primer I use is Tamiya. It is Grey color.

But again, I am not a knowledgeable guy to really tell you "Do this to ...."

On other situation, when I want to keep the wood natural color I use a wood sealer like the one below then poly or varnish. The sealer provides and homogeneous distribution of the poly or varnish.

I just do what I wrote above.

Best
Daniel

Hi Grant... I don't think anyone will notice those small paint dots ever. Unfortunately I don't know how to clean them. But I will try, with a sharp blade to scratch the wood surface. Very soft!!! Or leave them as they are.

I believe, that to avoid issues like that one, the use of a primer first and then the paint will help. The primer will cover the wood pores that by capilarity are absorbing the paint. The primer I use is Tamiya. It is Grey color.

But again, I am not a knowledgeable guy to really tell you "Do this to ...."

On other situation, when I want to keep the wood natural color I use a wood sealer like the one below then poly or varnish. The sealer provides and homogeneous distribution of the poly or varnish.

I just do what I wrote above.

Best
Daniel
Thanks Daniel. I am going cautious here and take your advice and leave them. It is only these little spots and doesn’t detract from the ship. Cheers.

Good morning. (Here in SA). I went through my waterline work and found this error. Any advice to rectify is appreciated.

My line didn’t follow onto my rudder, this I can fix and line up, however the paint seeped into the planking lines - 3 spots(probably as these planks are vertical) When I repaint the corrected line it will improve. Is there a way to ensure it doesn’t happen again (I use Tamiya tape and used my nail to press into these gaps originally) and can you remove this ? I use acrylic paint.
View attachment 268412
I appreciate your attention to detail Grant. Acrylic paint will scrape off. And when you retape the line and paint... swipe your brush from the tape upward, then you won't force paint down into the groove. She's a beauty. Keep up the good work!

I appreciate your attention to detail Grant. Acrylic paint will scrape off. And when you retape the line and paint... swipe your brush from the tape upward, then you won't force paint down into the groove. She's a beauty. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Paul- I was super nervous to do the waterline and I am “cuffed”( SA expression for very pleased) with the outcome so I think I’m going to leave it. I will remember your tip when I next need to do that. Appreciate your encouragement during my build. Cheers.

Tried my hand at seizing or serving( don’t know which term is correct) a rope for the bowsprit rigging. I need to set up a jig and buy crocodile clips as my system not the best and the finish is not tight. My tools are very limited at moment. Ordered a proper trimming clipper as well.Decided to seize all future ropes going around the masts etc. Does look way better than the kit instructions. Probably will run out of thread tho.
8F9441C4-41D4-478C-AB41-5EB2DB870755.jpeg
These photos are so good to see errors. I broke my dolphin striker the other day and I see my fix is not correct from this photo. Redo it again I will....for Star Wars fans (Yoda speak).ROTF

I have been building with very little to show. Sometimes I feel so little Achieved for so many hours? I experimented with my dead eyes and chain plates. I eventually felt the best would be to secure the dead eyes to the channel by thread and the chain plates with the copper and brass the kit has provided (I will blacken these). I did this as I could not get the brass wire Around the dead eye to be the exact size where the chain plates connect. The dead eyes also have some lateral movement for the angle up to masts when shrouds connected.5AD5B928-6B7F-4B87-B5A4-E81EEE0002B9.jpegB549A728-8B4D-4AE6-B412-F236DF439EE2.jpeg8234F0D2-5F22-4B51-BE80-C404B46AE69B.jpeg

Imuse

View attachment 268412
I use 3m brand fine-line tape and if there is an area where I’m concerned about the possibility of bleed I airbrush a light coat of acrylic clear along the paint line then paint…..no bleed through and nice crisp paint line

Back