HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Are you now a true South Africaner? Shying away from a challenge, an opportunity to improve your already impressive build by leaps and bounds? I definitely thought better of you.
Some nine months ago I never sat down behind a sewing machine, but lacking the fisherman's stay sail on my Bluenose rebuild, I forced myself to go ahead and just do it. Was I successful with my first try? No, it took me at least four tries, before something emerged, resembling a sail.
Emboldened by my success, I started adding furled sales to another old build: the Scottish Maid.
View attachment 315558View attachment 315559
Mind you, I didn't have any sail plans, so I made paper templates first, before transferring the lines to cloth and again, after some trial and error I had a convincing set of sails.
My point being, if I can pull this off, I see absolutely no reason you can't.
No pressure Grant ROTF

Good morning

Blocks and more blocks.....the yards for the main mast are “blocked, stirruped and horsed “;) - jeer, quarter , clue line, leech line, buntline, topping lift and sheet blocks.

425C3EB2-28DB-4098-ABD7-3624D0AEDC08.jpeg

Some nuances :
Lower yard :
1.Brace pendants. I made a looped 1mm and lashed (on real ship these are spliced) and these will be thread through the loops around the mast and then through a double and single block to base of mast.

2. Sling - served and has a pendant which is looped over itself in Centre is yard. Will be lashed to upper cling around mast cap.

3. Jeer blocks are lashed through slings with the falls reeved. These should be a double sheave blocks- however as with many aspects of Grant Victory I only have triple 7mm blocks (as per Mantua plans).

Pin in yards to hold to mast is shown.

38CC26E7-93F0-4E99-BD4D-2AC929AA616D.jpeg

The lift blocks are lashed to the strap of the main sheet blocks.

D57DD37B-B705-4F21-AF55-FCB1AFF24F26.jpeg
Top sail yard:
It has one tie-block 5mm with the two buntline 3mm blocks around the strap of the tie block. (On real ships these are also spliced). Was fun finding a way to make these “rabbit ears” ;)

A71D3645-21C5-4FBB-9EEC-0325404B38FD.jpeg

Back to rigging shrouds to main mast and I guess I’m going to have to have another go at some mice.

Cheers Grant

Very impressive work Grant! Half of what you are saying is way over my head but nonetheless impressive. I can only comment on the execution and that looks super!

Very impressive work Grant! Half of what you are saying is way over my head but nonetheless impressive. I can only comment on the execution and that looks super!
Good evening Heinrich. Thank you- I am clueless what the buntline, leechlines, quarter and cluelines are all about. Meaningless block names to me at present. I guess I will find out as I rig this ship and continue reading. The material I have “The art of rigging “ cannot be read as a book and is more a research guide as you rig. Very good tho. Cheers Grant

Just fantastic attention to detail and execution my friend. Brilliant.

By the way, I agree that courage never factored in when choosing to build a ship "bigger than our britches". But the courage happened when you chose to continue in a direction you had not expected. You've got that in spades.
Good evening Paul. Thank you very much. Appreciate it. Cheers Grant

Blocks and more blocks.....the yards for the main mast are “blocked, stirruped and horsed “;) - jeer, quarter , clue line, leech line, buntline, topping lift and sheet blocks.
Grant, while you might not think you're courageous taking on the Victory straight up, I bet you also didn't think you would be using language like this ROTF

Those yards and blocks are looking A1 though and I think a lot of us can't wait to see the finished product when they are hoisted up onto the masts. Great work Thumbsup

Grant, while you might not think you're courageous taking on the Victory straight up, I bet you also didn't think you would be using language like this ROTF

Those yards and blocks are looking A1 though and I think a lot of us can't wait to see the finished product when they are hoisted up onto the masts. Great work Thumbsup
Good morning Mark. Thanks. It will be a fine day when those yards are “hoisted” onto the main mast. I still need plenty of prep work before I seat the mast- some sheaves, tackle where the Mizzen Stays belay to main main mast and more blocks and rings to channels for the multiple back stays (each one has its own name but I have not got there yet to knowROTF) and some topping lift lines..... this may take a while...:oops:. learnt my lesson with Mizzen- prepare those channels first before The shrouds go on. Cheers Grant.

To me this looks like succes, unfortunately I'm absolutely no expert in this field (nor will be your visitors, drooling over your Victory in her showcase). ;)

To me this looks like succes, unfortunately I'm absolutely no expert in this field (nor will be your visitors, drooling over your Victory in her showcase). ;)
Thanks Johann- I like the way they look. Success to me while to others these would be a no go...This is the world of model ship making.:rolleyes: I have 5 to go and I'm sure they will still improve however I am happy with the build process. Showcase...hmm that is something I will have attempt to make one day.........or buy... ;) Cheers Grant

Back