HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good morning- it must be do over week. @rtibbs is going to run out of coins. ;).

The sheave on the hound of my top gallant Mizzen was a mess. Measurements wrong, to close to yard, holes to big etc. Simply “kak”. Afrikaans slang.

Poly filler and self chastisement. Why I cannot work reasonably ok when working “on the ship” is a mystery to me. (Reminds me of a Dire Straits song)

79DCE3B1-86AE-48CF-8CCF-9AA371907173.jpeg01CC08E8-C449-49B6-8487-14C2D5781727.jpeg

Cheers Grant

Unfortunately, been there, seen that, done that. Not that that's any consolation...
Veel sterkte with your repairs. (Btw, "kak" is a rather well known Dutch word...)

Unfortunately, been there, seen that, done that. Not that that's any consolation...
Veel sterkte with your repairs. (Btw, "kak" is a rather well known Dutch word...)
Good morning Johann. Thanks. I forget how close at times Dutch is to Afrikaans. ;) . Here it is such an accepted term when we mess up and rather expressive. Luckily this oops was a small one- I get frustrated with myself when I do basic maths incorrectly- simple conversion of scale. Slow it down maybe? Cheers Grant

Oh boy - this is not a good week is it? Hopefully the Admiral will be home tonight, so from tomorrow, there should be some progress without do-overs.

Private Investigations? (Dire Straits). I think we all know the feeling, Grant. I can tell within a few minutes of sitting down to my model whether I should continue or not. If I'm not in the right frame of mind then yes, the kak sets in very quickly :( Patience and tolerance, I keep reminding myself. If you're a golf player you'll know exactly what I mean ROTF

Private Investigations? (Dire Straits). I think we all know the feeling, Grant. I can tell within a few minutes of sitting down to my model whether I should continue or not. If I'm not in the right frame of mind then yes, the kak sets in very quickly :( Patience and tolerance, I keep reminding myself. If you're a golf player you'll know exactly what I mean ROTF
Hello Mark. Yep you got the song....Sometimes my Victory is like Atlantic Beach golf course....tight, mean and unforgiving. One slice and you are out of bounds ROTF.

Good morning. Last night in a bar “far far away“ (for those Star Wars fans...again) we where have some post ride drinks - a few too many as SA culture demands :rolleyes: - a picture on the wall reminded me of one of my shipbuilding friends. View attachment 313425
OMG Grant. Just when you thought you would have a couple days not thinking about shipbuilding.:)
Heinrich, there must be a story regarding that portrait.
All this time I thought his avatar was a self portrait:)

Good morning. Last night in a bar “far far away“ (for those Star Wars fans...again) we where have some post ride drinks - a few too many as SA culture demands :rolleyes: - a picture on the wall reminded me of one of my shipbuilding friends. View attachment 313425
Grant my apologies for only spotting your picture of the painting now. You know, as a child I became very familiar with that painting of Hans de Skipper, when we visited family in Namaqualand and Clanwilliam. About two or three years ago I made a concerted effort (even though I was already in China) to find one which I finally located on a farm called "Banke" in Namaqualand. Even though I have never seen "my" copy of the painting (it is with my son and probably lying stashed away somewhere in his garage), it is one of my most prized possessions. Nothing makes me miss South Africa as much as that painting. There is just so much emotion in that face and so many tell-tale signs of someone who has not always traveled on tarred roads ...

Just for your information Heinrich it was me -el capi -who send it out. i know from time back that you have and maybe still studying about de painter's name: Still today it is not sure who the painter was. only he was danish. when I was a boy all families nearly had a copy of it. It may be one of the family standing with the paint. by the way, do you know the word for the special sailers hat: In danish the name is en SYDWEST- meaning directly translated a SOUTH WEST -

The one you see here in the hand -owner? is an original, but a copy from the original one. if you compare the one with the ones you have, you will see a minor difference. el capi
That is indeed a beautiful one!

Grant my apologies for only spotting your picture of the painting now. You know, as a child I became very familiar with that painting of Hans de Skipper, when we visited family in Namaqualand and Clanwilliam. About two or three years ago I made a concerted effort (even though I was already in China) to find one which I finally located on a farm called "Banke" in Namaqualand. Even though I have never seen "my" copy of the painting (it is with my son and probably lying stashed away somewhere in his garage), it is one of my most prized possessions. Nothing makes me miss South Africa as much as that painting. There is just so much emotion in that face and so many tell-tale signs of someone who has not always traveled on tarred roads ...
Good morning Heinrich- so coincidental. We rode through Namaqualand - was beautiful riding (So many off road trials- farmers are so accommodating)and ended up in Calviinia. In George again (business) so not much building or chance to catch up. Cheers Grant

Back