Hohenzollernmodell 1660-1670 Scale 1/75 POF build by Stephan Kertész (Steef66)

Steef, I don't have the foggiest what you're doing, but it sure does look impressive and definitely way more complicated than I'm willing to submit myself to.

I think it was very wise to make a go at frame construction at this stage. I believe it will 'inform' the planking job because you now have a fuller appreciation of what lies ahead. Remember, the guys who did this 300+ years ago were experienced ship builders who could envision next steps. You are essentially rediscovering things they accepted as routine. And who is to say they didn't use aids along the way (like partial forms) for the critical stages of construction or in areas that defined the contours they were looking for?
Actually the use some kind of frame-look-a-like.
The connected the planks with small pieces of wood and let the planks rest on poles in the grond below. The gravity does the rest.
eerste-zitter-1.png
After that they start the frames. In a bigger scale, like the scale of Maarten this could be a way build it. In my scale I had to make a compromis between 2 ways of building. I think the Maze method is the better way to build these ships in scale. Next time i will go that way. (I already do it a little bit.)
And it is indeed wise to make this part of the construction in this stage. Because I'm copy the HZ model. It must look like it at least. When I was build a Pinas or galjoot it was no problem to go shell first. Big learning curve.

Steef, I don't have the foggiest what you're doing, but it sure does look impressive and definitely way more complicated than I'm willing to submit myself to.
Thanks Johan, complicated, yes. Impossible? No just take your time.

I'm so impressed with this style, I have very high respect, amazing work Steef
Thanks Tobias, those are very kind words that give me vitamins to go on. It's definitely not like your build, or what you sometimes see around here, so perfect with a high accuracy, my respect to your and those kind of builds. This is more a kind of art shaping a ship. You have a shape to build and you try to get close to that shape, trying to keep star and port the same. I would be more comfortable building a French ship with good plans like yours. But these imperfections in building like this is something else and you need a mindset to do it. Forget to make it perfect, building it perfect seems to be impossible. And that makes it an interesting experience to do.

Thanks for the likes friends, this makes me to go on with this difficult task I try to perform.
I dit a few planks more and a lot of sanding on the already installed planks. Als here and there a few repairs. I seen these on the wreckage in Den Helder how this was done, so why not on the model. This will help to give my project a used old look.

Enjoy the pictures
IMG_3557.JPGIMG_3558.JPGIMG_3559.JPGIMG_3560.JPGIMG_3561.JPGIMG_3562.JPGIMG_3563.JPGIMG_3564.JPGIMG_3565.JPG

Just checking the shape at the bow. That shape forms itself

IMG_3566.JPGIMG_3567.JPG

A small tool to measure the waterlines, I have to make a few more for the other lines

IMG_3568.JPG

A new plank glued on

IMG_3569.JPG

After gluing

IMG_3570.JPG

Thanks for watching

Stephan, what both you and @Maarten are doing is fantastic. What I find "disappointing" is that when all is said and done, the last glue has dried, the last nail in the last hole is hammered down, you will not be able to see all of the craftmanship which went into your builds.

Stephan, what both you and @Maarten are doing is fantastic. What I find "disappointing" is that when all is said and done, the last glue has dried, the last nail in the last hole is hammered down, you will not be able to see all of the craftmanship which went into your builds.
Thanks Johan, is that not always the problem that you can't see all the efford that is put in a build? Like Harold Underhill mentioned in one of his books:"It is not the ready build model that gives the most satisfaction, but the model building itself to reach that point gives the most pleasure".

"It is not the ready build model that gives the most satisfaction, but the model building itself to reach that point gives the most pleasure".
Not that I disagree with this quote, but still... Look at a POF-build, cut in two or not, you will be looking at something extraordinary. Once completed, a "shell first" build model cannot be distinguished from a more traditional build. Unless one would leave part of the hull frame- and plankless.

Not that I disagree with this quote, but still... Look at a POF-build, cut in two or not, you will be looking at something extraordinary. Once completed, a "shell first" build model cannot be distinguished from a more traditional build. Unless one would leave part of the hull frame- and plankless.
Hi Johan,
We can allways cut it in two. :)
Removing the planking means your model will fall apart.

Hi Johan,
We can allways cut it in two. :)
Removing the planking means your model will fall apart.
Ad 1) See my reply to Stephan.
Ad 2) Looking at the numerous POF builds, not adding a number of planks doesn't necessarily result in models falling apart. Their water tightness could be totally different subject... :cool:

Ad 1) See my reply to Stephan.
Ad 2) Looking at the numerous POF builds, not adding a number of planks doesn't necessarily result in models falling apart. Their water tightness could be totally different subject... :cool:
Haha, in shell first actually your model will fall apart when removing several planks. The frame parts are only connected to the planks and not to other frame parts.

Super-impressive work, Stephan. I would think the experience of building to the totally traditional method, at scale, is enormously rewarding; you are truly experiencing the Shipwright's perspective of the undertaking. Invaluable.
Thanks Marc. The experience you build in this way is indeed invaluable. You learn a lot about the shape of a ship, how the curves are created. Really recommend doing it this way.

@All thanks for the likes and visit. It has been a while I posted a update. I'm just busy with other things at the moment. My admiral wanted other furniture and that takes time to find and install. And I'm also making my workspace a little more economical. I will post an update on that in due course. But it does burn to get back on with my model. I'll keep you guys posted.

Back